• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: [COMPLETE][pokefirered] Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen+

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Hey! I'm back, finished the game with this team, and really enjoyed the entirety of challenge mode. Thank you for adding the move tutors and TM36 to main game by the way, it's so enjoyable playing FRLG with new movesets. Post-game has been an amazing experience as well! I love the small additives of things like the Flute maker on One Island. Just a really solid revamp of the FRLG experience. One bug I did notice was that when Scott talked to me after getting the Ruby, he stayed at the entrance of One Island PokeCenter until I went upstairs, then when I went downstairs he was sitting. Don't know if it was intentional.

I'm really sorry if these can get annoying, but here are some suggestions that arose while finishing the game and also some things that I thought about while reading the thread.

- While cross-gen evolutions based on happiness are available in the main game, a bunch are blocked off due to requiring the evolution item they would need (i.e. Metal Coat, Kings Rock, Dragon Scale, etc..) This makes sense as Trainer Tower uses these items as rewards, but I was wondering if potentially an Everstone could be given similar benefits to an Eviolite. This would allow for Pokemon like Seadra and Porygon to be used in the main game, without falling too behind because they can't evolve yet. Alternatively, if edits are made to the Trainer Tower prizes, then having the evolution items obtainable earlier would be a simpler solution.

- I know in the original response you gave for Emerald tutors that those moves would be used for potential Battle Frontier port prizes, as the lack of Secret Bases removed possible rewards. I'm not sure how possible this would be, but could Mystery Gift/Event Pokemon be used as rewards? (I.e. Gen 3 PCNY Wish Egg distributions, Refresh Metang Mystery Gift, Pokemon XD/Colusseum gifts). I'm not well informed on coding, but I could imagine that you could possibly purchase an item or pass with BP, then exchange said item or pass to unlock a Mystery Gift, so that it would be a legit obtained Pokemon. Of course, this is probably way more difficult than said, but it could help with the lack of Battle Frontier prizes in a later update.

- Another idea for cheap Battle Frontier prizes could be type-boosting items like Silk Scarf, Sharp Beak, Black Belt, etc.. just so there can be a reliable place to get multiples of these items for things like monotype runs. You can also add contest-boosting items and berries, or berries in general. (On the topic of contests, I am a really big fan of the idea of porting contests into FRLG, and I know on boards that I have talked on that many people are even interested in a hack dedicated to contests, so it'll definitely be something people looked forward to. However, I understand it is very difficult to add it, just know you have supporters if you do!)

- Finally, the Lucky Egg being added as an item outside of Chansey encounters could be very helpful for completing the dex - whether it is a BP reward or a Tower reward, or even just a post-game item, it would improve the leveling up experience for finishing evolutions or adding Johto Pokemon to a team in post-game, since encounters are low level in Sevii.

Overall, great job! I will probably revisit the thread when I complete the Dex and/or anything else comes to mind.

Attachments

• [COMPLETE][pokefirered] Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen+
      1636 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)-0.png
      7.6 KB · Views: 32
    Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2023
    i wonder if you already fix the roaming Pokemon glitch, where Raikou, Entei, or Suicune with bad IVs is gone forever once you fail to catch them.
    I forgot to say that Fire Punch, Ice Punch, and Thunder Punch Move Tutors are still missing.

Last edited:

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Hey! I'm back, finished the game with this team, and really enjoyed the entirety of challenge mode. Thank you for adding the move tutors and TM36 to main game by the way, it's so enjoyable playing FRLG with new movesets. Post-game has been an amazing experience as well! I love the small additives of things like the Flute maker on One Island. Just a really solid revamp of the FRLG experience. One bug I did notice was that when Scott talked to me after getting the Ruby, he stayed at the entrance of One Island PokeCenter until I went upstairs, then when I went downstairs he was sitting. Don't know if it was intentional.

I'm really sorry if these can get annoying, but here are some suggestions that arose while finishing the game and also some things that I thought about while reading the thread.

- While cross-gen evolutions based on happiness are available in the main game, a bunch are blocked off due to requiring the evolution item they would need (i.e. Metal Coat, Kings Rock, Dragon Scale, etc..) This makes sense as Trainer Tower uses these items as rewards, but I was wondering if potentially an Everstone could be given similar benefits to an Eviolite. This would allow for Pokemon like Seadra and Porygon to be used in the main game, without falling too behind because they can't evolve yet. Alternatively, if edits are made to the Trainer Tower prizes, then having the evolution items obtainable earlier would be a simpler solution.

- I know in the original response you gave for Emerald tutors that those moves would be used for potential Battle Frontier port prizes, as the lack of Secret Bases removed possible rewards. I'm not sure how possible this would be, but could Mystery Gift/Event Pokemon be used as rewards? (I.e. Gen 3 PCNY Wish Egg distributions, Refresh Metang Mystery Gift, Pokemon XD/Colusseum gifts). I'm not well informed on coding, but I could imagine that you could possibly purchase an item or pass with BP, then exchange said item or pass to unlock a Mystery Gift, so that it would be a legit obtained Pokemon. Of course, this is probably way more difficult than said, but it could help with the lack of Battle Frontier prizes in a later update.

- Another idea for cheap Battle Frontier prizes could be type-boosting items like Silk Scarf, Sharp Beak, Black Belt, etc.. just so there can be a reliable place to get multiples of these items for things like monotype runs. You can also add contest-boosting items and berries, or berries in general. (On the topic of contests, I am a really big fan of the idea of porting contests into FRLG, and I know on boards that I have talked on that many people are even interested in a hack dedicated to contests, so it'll definitely be something people looked forward to. However, I understand it is very difficult to add it, just know you have supporters if you do!)

- Finally, the Lucky Egg being added as an item outside of Chansey encounters could be very helpful for completing the dex - whether it is a BP reward or a Tower reward, or even just a post-game item, it would improve the leveling up experience for finishing evolutions or adding Johto Pokemon to a team in post-game, since encounters are low level in Sevii.

Overall, great job! I will probably revisit the thread when I complete the Dex and/or anything else comes to mind.

I'm glad you enjoyed your playthrough! Please come back and post if you do any of the other additional bits of postgame I added as I've only gotten feedback from one person about those. I'm interested in Master Trainer feedback the most if you decide to tackle them and the superboss after clearing them all. Also, I'm glad someone commented on the flute maker. I knew that realistically almost no one would actually care enough to grind out for the flutes, but when I ported ash grass from Emerald I couldn't just leave that out! If nothing else that he adds to the atmosphere I was going for for One Island.

Scott should have left after inviting you to the Battle Tower and not reappeared. I'll take a look at it when I do another pass at bugfixes. Thank you.

I welcome suggestions! To address your bullet points...

- I won't be making changes that could affect the underlying battle mechanics, so an Eviolite-like item isn't something that I would consider doing. I realized that many of the cross-generational evolutions would be unobtainable until postgame, but I wasn't satisfied with just sticking extra item balls with them in Kanto. I'm open to making them obtainable earlier (with the worst mons getting theirs placed earlier so they don't suck; looking at you Onix) but it'd have to make sense and not seem cheap, y'know? Throwing them all in a back-room in Silph, for example, would seem too on the nose. I'm open to suggestions on placement and method of aquisition, they just can't be too disruptive to the vanilla FRLG experience, as I mostly left Kanto alone outside of populating Silph Co. I would consider modifying held items to make them available earlier as well (Metal Coat as a rare find on Magnemite/Magneton? Though that places it after getting Surf). Lots of options.

- After doing some research when implementing the eight new move tutors, I'm actually missing like half of the moves tutorable in the Battle Frontier already because many of them were FRLG tutor moves. This is on top of losing all Secret Base prizes. Event giveaways are an interesting idea that hasn't occurred to me until you mentioned it. It's definitely possible for many of them as, for example, the PCNY Wish Eggs were generated on a Gen 3 cart (to my knowledge) so it wouldn't be hard for me to generate a legal one. However, I don't know how I feel about giving away old external events in-game. That's a whole different category of legality compared to handing out event *tickets* to access Pokemon that are already sitting in the game. I'd have to think more on this if the time comes where the Battle Frontier port is a reality.

- Type-boosting items are definitely a good idea as cheap prizes. There's a dearth of them in FRLG that I wanted to remedy but, like the evolution items, didn't want to just stick extra item balls everywhere (open to suggestions for placing these as well). I also unironically really like contests, so if I decide to port them, I'm down for putting the contest-related berries and items somewhere, and the Frontier seems like an okay place to do it since Contest Halls would likely be placed in postgame locations. Also, Daisy will totally be a Master Rank opponent if I port contests since the Fame Checker mentions she's a contest star. It's not so much that it's difficult to add (there's a decent chunk of contest code leftover in FRLG), it's just a lot of moving parts and a big time commitment. The RS Battle Tower was a much easier port because almost all of it was already there, and it didn't involve me porting UIs and such.

- I'm firmly against handing out an easy Lucky Egg to players, especially before they've fully completed the content, partly because of my own experiences with games/hacks that hand them out and partly because Game Freak didn't do it until Gen 5. When I'm handed a Lucky Egg, I tend to be constantly swapping it to make the gains as efficient as possible and it just becomes a huge hassle. If you want a Lucky Egg, grab a CompoundEyes Butterfree (abilities work in the OW like in Emerald) and scour the Safari Zone for one, or trade one in from the XD postgame quest involving the mute Pokemon (or save edit). Alternatively, you can go to the Key System menu and double all experience gains there, which is essentially a built-in Lucky Egg. Obviously, players can use the experience gain key however they want, but the 2x exp setting was intended to ease grinding (mainly in Nuzlockes, but also for the cases you mentioned).

Thank you for your feedback! Your suggestions have already made the hack better, so please don't hesitate to come back with more. I'm interested to hear about your journey to complete the dex or whatever else strikes you while playing.

i wonder if you already fix the roaming Pokemon glitch, where Raikou, Entei, or Suicune with bad IVs is gone forever once you fail to catch them.
    I forgot to say that Fire Punch, Ice Punch, and Thunder Punch Move Tutors are still missing.

I specifically did *not* fix the Roaming IV glitch because doing so would make the Legendary Beasts illegal. However, I did fix the glitch where if they Roar you out of the battle they disappear. Additionally, if you kill a Legendary Beast, it should respawn and start roaming again once you've reentered the Hall of Fame, so you shouldn't be able to miss one. If you do, that's totally unintended and I'd have to look at it.

The elemental punches are Battle Frontier tutors in Emerald and are actually really powerful in Gen 3 because of the coverage they provide to mons like Alakazam and Gengar. If I make the punches available, I would have to take them from a potential Battle Frontier port and I really don't want to do that considering like half of the BP tutors are already sitting in Kanto/Sevii. Fun fact, I handled all the Emerald move tutors on the backend when I added those eight new move tutors to the world, they're just not all hooked up to scripts. I'm of the opinion that the move tutor offerings don't need to necessarily be complete in the hack's current state, as you can trade your Pokemon to a completed Emerald if you want the exclusive BP tutor moves. Even if the Battle Frontier never gets implemented you will always have that option.

Thanks for your comments.

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2023
    Is there an intention to decapitalized the text?
    Is it possible to increase the probability of Shiny Pokemon like in the future games?
    Is it possible to bring the Pokerus mechanics to this game?

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Is there an intention to decapitalized the text?
    Is it possible to increase the probability of Shiny Pokemon like in the future games?
    Is it possible to bring the Pokerus mechanics to this game?

No, there is no intention to decapitalize the text. This is meant to preserve the Gen 3 flavor as much as possible.

It *is* possible, but again this is meant to be played alongside the vanilla Gen 3 games and I'm not going to increase the chances of finding shiny Pokemon and make shiny-hunting in the vanilla games obsolete in doing so. I actually found a shiny Gastly several months ago while testing, but accidentally overwrote that save file so I lost it :(

Pokerus is in vanilla FRLG, it just cannot be contracted and (I think) will not spread. If you trade a Pokerus-infected Pokemon in from RSE, it will remain on the Pokemon indefinitely as long as you don't trade it back to RSE. There is no RTC in this hack and Pokerus is a time-based mechanic, so I'm fine with leaving it like FRLG did with it needing to be traded in.

Thanks for you comment.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    It seems as if some of the sounds of the move animations are bugged eg: Fire blast, aurora beam, psybeam, return etc.

Years
  • I once hoped to make the "perfect" FireRed for me and then saw this yesterday, and went nuts. You're checking off (nearly) all the boxes, lad!

Couple things I noticed:
    - Ice Beam seems to be playing the Confusion sound effect
    - The summary screen for Japanese Pokémon crashes the game

Keep up the good work though, Deokishisu!

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2021
    Just a quick question, can you get the exclusive tickets that Nintendo distributed on some events?
    (Sorry if that's already been answered)

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2022
    1. Where is the exp share is it just at the same place or somewhere else?
    2. Where is the trade evolution key item?
    3. Is the exp share the gen 6 type if not can I change it to that type?

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • 1. Where is the exp share is it just at the same place or somewhere else?
    2. Where is the trade evolution key item?
    3. Is the exp share the gen 6 type if not can I change it to that type?

The Exp Share is in the same place as in vanilla FireRed and LeafGreen. There is no option to turn it into the Gen 6+ Exp Share and no plans to make that an option.

The Link Bracelet is in Silph Co. It is unmissable, so just play the story and you'll eventually get it.

Just a quick question, can you get the exclusive tickets that Nintendo distributed on some events?
    (Sorry if that's already been answered)

One of the main features of this hack is that all of the Gen 3 event islands are present, as the first post says. The tickets are given away at certain gameplay milestones.

---

Have been too busy to fix the bugs that people have reported, but will have more time soon and plan to iron those out and do another release in the near future.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2023
    Hey, just dropping a post to say great work! This is exactly the kind of mod I was looking for, one loaded with QoL changes and speed ups that just makes the game more enjoyable. I tried replaying vanilla Fire Red recently and I just couldn't stand how slow it was, so discovering this was a godsend. I wish more hacks were like this project which tries to be as authentic as possible to the vanilla experience by not changing the mechanics too much. The new postgame stuff is also great, though I'm personally a fan of master trainers.

Also can I make a suggestion? Right now the Johto starters are unobtainable, so would it be possible to say, make an event ticket that takes you to Littleroot town and only Littleroot town with the rest of Hoenn inaccessible so they can be obtained there? Maybe even include a bit of route 101 for the Hoenn starters? The town is close to water so you could make a port. I must say the idea of making every pokemon in this mod legal is a great idea that makes every catch feel valuable even though this is a mod.

pizzakoe

Experienced Spriter
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Aug 12, 2023
    Does ANYONE know where the Helix Fossil is hidden if you chose the dome fossil earlier? Omanyte/star are the only Kanto Pokemon I'm missing , I've searched everywhere!

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Hey, just dropping a post to say great work! This is exactly the kind of mod I was looking for, one loaded with QoL changes and speed ups that just makes the game more enjoyable. I tried replaying vanilla Fire Red recently and I just couldn't stand how slow it was, so discovering this was a godsend. I wish more hacks were like this project which tries to be as authentic as possible to the vanilla experience by not changing the mechanics too much. The new postgame stuff is also great, though I'm personally a fan of master trainers.

Also can I make a suggestion? Right now the Johto starters are unobtainable, so would it be possible to say, make an event ticket that takes you to Littleroot town and only Littleroot town with the rest of Hoenn inaccessible so they can be obtained there? Maybe even include a bit of route 101 for the Hoenn starters? The town is close to water so you could make a port. I must say the idea of making every pokemon in this mod legal is a great idea that makes every catch feel valuable even though this is a mod.

Thanks for playing! I'm glad you're enjoying the my attempt at staying authentic to the original. I tried very hard to keep things feeling like vanilla without it being a total slog. I'm especially interested in more specific feedback about the Master Trainers, if you have any. Haven't had many people go through and do them yet.

As for your suggestion, I'd prefer to keep the Johto and Hoenn starters unobtainable without trading. The Johto starters are available through Colosseum, XD, and Emerald (so plenty of opportunities to trade), while the Hoenn starters are intrinsically tied to Hoenn and I want to keep the inclusion of Hoenn Pokemon to an absolute minimum (save for event islands and the babies that were already available in FRLG). If you'd like to play with them without trading, PKHeX is compatible with this hack as long as you don't attempt to edit the bag. You could give yourself the starters if you wish that way.

Does ANYONE know where the Helix Fossil is hidden if you chose the dome fossil earlier? Omanyte/star are the only Kanto Pokemon I'm missing , I've searched everywhere!

Hey! The unchosen fossil is located on Three Island in the postgame. Talk to the man in Three Isle Path.

Last edited:

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • This patch is now out of date, see this post for the newest one.

I have uploaded a new patch that fixes several bugs, oversights, and errors thanks to all of your reports. Please update to this version promptly for a less error-prone experience, as several potential crashes have been fixed. The link in the first post has been updated, but you can also grab it from here: https://github.com/Deokishisu/FRLG-Plus/releases/tag/v1.1.4

This release fixes several crashes and an oversight that prevented the player from obtaining the unchosen fossil in some situations.

• Corrected some text, mapping, and collision errors (thanks Hiroshi Sotomura for your PR).

• NPCs in One Island's Pokémon Center should now move correctly (Scott, Bill, etc.)

• Fixed an issue where encounter slot selection was biased in the early game.

• Fixed vanilla tile errors on Routes 24 and 25.

• The Glass Workshop menu's exit option is now the same size as the other options.

• Fixed certain move animations playing incorrect sound effects.

• The Move Relearner should now list the correct moves in all situations.

• Displaying a Japanese Pokémon's OT name no longer crashes the game in several situations, including in the summary screen.

• Pokémon from Orre will now always be considered outsiders by the summary screen, fixing some met location printing bugs.

• Japanese Gamecube Starters and Duking's Plusle should now display their met locations correctly.

• Pokémon obtained on the S.S. Tidal should now display "FERRY" as their met location in the summary screen.

• Three Isle Path is now finished when the player gets the Extended Dex rather than the National Dex. Also fixed an issue with the prospector's text.

• Deoxys formes will now show their correct icons in the move details page of the summary screen.

• Shiny Deoxys should now display its shiny palette correctly in all situations.

---

Again, thank you to everyone who submitted bug reports.

Last edited:

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Will my original Leaf Green save file be compatible with this hack?

No. I have have changed the saveblock and altered flag usage with the unfortunate side-effect that vanilla FRLG saves are not compatible with this hack. You can quickly move your original file's Pokemon over to a fresh save of FRLG+ with PkHeX, however. As long as you don't attempt to edit the bag, you should be fine. You'll still have to play through the story, but you'll have your Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2022
    Is there anywhere I could find a list of each gym leaders (and Lance's) highest level pokemon in challenge difficulty for the purposes of level capping a nuzlocke?

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Is there anywhere I could find a list of each gym leaders (and Lance's) highest level pokemon in challenge difficulty for the purposes of level capping a nuzlocke?

All of that can be found in the GitHub. Here is a link to the start of the Challenge Mode teams. The levels are not accurate due to how the level scaling was implemented, so this will have to be combined with the levelScaling field of each Gym's/E4 room's map.json file to obtain the true level. Here is the one for Pewter Gym. This will spoil the movesets and Pokemon additions for the Challenge Mode teams.

If you don't want spoilers for the teams themselves, the max levels are:
    Spoiler:

---

I typoed one of the summary screen fixes and now all Pokemon, regardless of OT, appear to be traded on the summary screen. They will incorrectly print "Apparently met..." As this is not a high-priority fix and doesn't affect gameplay in any tangible way, I will wait until I have a more substantial update to fix it.

I've been giving some thought to making items like Metal Coat and King's Rock available earlier and I think I'm going to stick them as rare held items on wild Pokemon in Kanto. The only item that it wouldn't make sense to do that for is Up-Grade. Since Up-Grade is available in the Rocket Warehouse on Five Island, I think I may swap it with an item in Silph Co. like I did for the TM for Sludge Bomb. I may also make the DeepSeaScale and DeepSeaTooth available somewhere despite Clamperl not being available without trading because only one is obtainable per RSE save file.

There are a few other, minor adjustments I plan on making as well for the next update. Stay tuned.

Back