• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: [COMPLETE][pokefirered] Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen+

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2023
    I really have only 1 request, make you able to find pokemon like some feature on the pokedex

Years
  • This hack is amazing. The options it gives to us to customize, bug fixes, QoL stuff and everything. Simply amazing. Keep up the good work!
    I would like to recommend some things for a possible implementation in the future like the Trainer Facing Fix (w/ Trainer Tower support, I know it's silly, but I think it makes the game "better" in the eye). Also changing the Item/TM/HM Pickup Sounds to the proper fanfare that plays on Emerald instead of the Level Up tune would be a good one.

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I just realized that Challenge Mode accidentally turned on itself.

1. Save game and return to the Key Menu via Start+Select+A+B
    2. Select Key Menu and don't change any options. Back out with B and go back to your game.
    3. Your game will now be in challenge mode.
    4. Repeat 1 and 2, challenge mode will turn off.

EDIT: Nevermind! Turns out that I actually had Easy Mode on this entire time by mistake, thinking that I had Normal Mode on.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2023
    I have a question. Is there an intention to bring back Apricorn Balls? Thanks in advance!

anonyboy

Pokemon Aerial Emerald Creator&Pokemon Hybrid Co-C
    Years
  • Are there any plans on making faraway island Mew Japanese?
    Also, how do you get the sudowoodo in Battle Tower to battle you?
    And finally, is there a plan to make Agate Celebi/Wishmaker Jirachi available like in Heliodor?

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • I really have only 1 request, make you able to find pokemon like some feature on the pokedex

If you're asking for something like the DexNav, I won't be including that in this hack.

This hack is amazing. The options it gives to us to customize, bug fixes, QoL stuff and everything. Simply amazing. Keep up the good work!
    I would like to recommend some things for a possible implementation in the future like the Trainer Facing Fix (w/ Trainer Tower support, I know it's silly, but I think it makes the game "better" in the eye). Also changing the Item/TM/HM Pickup Sounds to the proper fanfare that plays on Emerald instead of the Level Up tune would be a good one.

I'm not going to implement the trainer facing fix because it seems like reverting it to the Gen 1 behavior was an intentional decision by Game Freak. I'm not super into changing the fanfares to the Emerald standard, but there are situations where the item pickup fanfares are not congruent with Gen 1 which I may fix. As of right now my most preferred option is to leave them as they are, but thanks for bringing it up for my consideration.

I just realized that Challenge Mode accidentally turned on itself.

1. Save game and return to the Key Menu via Start+Select+A+B
    2. Select Key Menu and don't change any options. Back out with B and go back to your game.
    3. Your game will now be in challenge mode.
    4. Repeat 1 and 2, challenge mode will turn off.

EDIT: Nevermind! Turns out that I actually had Easy Mode on this entire time by mistake, thinking that I had Normal Mode on.

This had me scratching my head for a bit trying to figure out how that could be happening. Thanks for the edit explaining it!

I have a question. Is there an intention to bring back Apricorn Balls? Thanks in advance!

One of the goals for this hack is for everything to be legal in Gen 3. Pokemon caught in Gen 3 can't legally be in Apricorn Balls, so I won't be implementing them.

Are there any plans on making faraway island Mew Japanese?
    Also, how do you get the sudowoodo in Battle Tower to battle you?
    And finally, is there a plan to make Agate Celebi/Wishmaker Jirachi available like in Heliodor?

No, there aren't plans to make Mew Japanese. I'd rather remove Mew than have a random Japanese Pokemon available for capture in the wild. I settled on the compromise of an English Emerald Faraway Island Mew because even though it's technically an unreleased event it will make it through Bank and Home. Doing it this way creates the least amount of weirdness for players.

To battle Sudowoodo, dump some Fresh Water on it. Make sure it's in your bags when you talk to it.

I don't know what Heliodor is or how they implement getting these Pokemon. I have plans to make FRLG+ compatible with the US Colosseum Bonus Disc which would allow it to receive Wishmaker Jirachi directly. I may also make it compatible with the JP Colosseum Bonus Disc for Celebi, depending on when I get to it. There are no plans to give the player these Pokemon directly in game; you will have to link to the discs (once that is implemented) or trade for them.

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

---

There have been a few inconsequential bugs and oversights found by players since the last release that have no real effect on gameplay, as well as a typo in the Master Trainer dialogue. I'll be waiting for more substantial bug fixes or features to update the patch to fix them.

My time has been extremely limited of late, so since FRLG+ is essentially complete it is kind of on maintenance mode right now. I'm also working on other projects in my free time, most notably taking over CrystalDust since Sierra has stepped down, so FRLG+ is low priority. Barring the discovery of ridiculous bugs that need to be fixed quickly, expect updates and changes to be much slower than they were initially.

Lus

Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2022
    Hi mate, this hack is great. loving it so far!

is there any way to increase exp gain higher than x2?

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Hi mate, this hack is great. loving it so far!

is there any way to increase exp gain higher than x2?

The experience modifier option in the Key System Menu only goes up to 2x. If you want to gain more experience you can farm Lucky Eggs from wild Chansey in the Safari Zone and make the Pokemon you're training hold them. The Lucky Egg stacks with the experience modifier option.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    If you're asking for something like the DexNav, I won't be including that in this hack.

I'm not going to implement the trainer facing fix because it seems like reverting it to the Gen 1 behavior was an intentional decision by Game Freak. I'm not super into changing the fanfares to the Emerald standard, but there are situations where the item pickup fanfares are not congruent with Gen 1 which I may fix. As of right now my most preferred option is to leave them as they are, but thanks for bringing it up for my consideration.

This had me scratching my head for a bit trying to figure out how that could be happening. Thanks for the edit explaining it!

One of the goals for this hack is for everything to be legal in Gen 3. Pokemon caught in Gen 3 can't legally be in Apricorn Balls, so I won't be implementing them.

No, there aren't plans to make Mew Japanese. I'd rather remove Mew than have a random Japanese Pokemon available for capture in the wild. I settled on the compromise of an English Emerald Faraway Island Mew because even though it's technically an unreleased event it will make it through Bank and Home. Doing it this way creates the least amount of weirdness for players.

To battle Sudowoodo, dump some Fresh Water on it. Make sure it's in your bags when you talk to it.

I don't know what Heliodor is or how they implement getting these Pokemon. I have plans to make FRLG+ compatible with the US Colosseum Bonus Disc which would allow it to receive Wishmaker Jirachi directly. I may also make it compatible with the JP Colosseum Bonus Disc for Celebi, depending on when I get to it. There are no plans to give the player these Pokemon directly in game; you will have to link to the discs (once that is implemented) or trade for them.

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

---

There have been a few inconsequential bugs and oversights found by players since the last release that have no real effect on gameplay, as well as a typo in the Master Trainer dialogue. I'll be waiting for more substantial bug fixes or features to update the patch to fix them.

My time has been extremely limited of late, so since FRLG+ is essentially complete it is kind of on maintenance mode right now. I'm also working on other projects in my free time, most notably taking over CrystalDust since Sierra has stepped down, so FRLG+ is low priority. Barring the discovery of ridiculous bugs that need to be fixed quickly, expect updates and changes to be much slower than they were initially.

Hey! Just logged in to say I really love this hack, the QoL stuff is super neat. Also stoked that you're picking up CrystalDust from Sierra, it was a shame she decided to move on as that hack is also super good. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2023
    Its a shame this hack is 98% of what Im looking for... but no PSS and no decapping for the game is just super unfortunate...

Is there anywhere I can follow along for updates on CrystalDust?

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    All it needs in my opinion is the planned emerald battle frontier and this hack would be the best Firered vanilla plus hack.

Jaizu

Average rom hacker
    Years
  • Its a shame this hack is 98% of what Im looking for... but no PSS and no decapping for the game is just super unfortunate...

Is there anywhere I can follow along for updates on CrystalDust?

You should be more grateful and sound way less than a dickhead.

This game aims to preserve original FR, PSS is a feature from Gen IV, not gen III. Same about decapping.

All it needs in my opinion is the planned emerald battle frontier and this hack would be the best Firered vanilla plus hack.

Sadly if the battle frontier happens it will probably break save files, and there is no save patcher atm.

Gelius3

Certified Idiotic Potato
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Mar 24, 2024
    You should be more grateful and sound way less than a dickhead.

The way you say this with that pfp of yours is priceless, ngl. Gotta snapshot this to my certified internet moments folder. Thank you, stranger. You just made my day. Hope life brings you good fortune.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2022
    Had to register to say that I've been absolutely loving this patch, Deokishisu! Many thanks for so generously sharing it with us! The complaints and needlessly negative requests (which are distinct from the polite ones) are exhausting but typical.

While the numerous QoL changes are probably—on the whole—the most impactful improvement, and Mew's island is a very fun novelty, for my money the Sevii Islands updates take the cake! I didn't have any problem with them the way they originally were, but the fresh coat of paint you gave them really brings them to life. I mean, Two Island's new beach? Coming across that the first time put a big, dopey grin on my face. Kudos!

This is neither here nor there, but I'm more-or-less a Pokémon neophyte, and it was early on in my FLRG+ play-through that I encountered my first-ever shiny! (A male Jigglypuff, just outside Mt. Moon.) I choose to interpret that as the universe giving this patch its seal of approval :).

P.S.: Oh, and how have I not mentioned how much I love the added overworld abilities? My Butterfree w/ Compound Eyes + Trick has been utterly indispensable since acquiring the TM (I'm up to three Lucky Eggs now!), Intimidate has meant Arcanine has spent a whole lot more time in my lead spot, and hatching eggs is no longer such a chore now that Magmar's incubating 'em. I could go on, but suffice it to say — your phenomenal work does not go unappreciated, Deokishisu!

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2023
    How does the nuzlocke mode interact with the daycare? Can you put invalid(and thus,perma-fainted) encounters into the daycare? Will they still be fainted when taken out? Can invalid encounters be used for breeding eggs? Would those eggs count as valid encounters if hatched ?

Years
    • She/her
    • Seen Mar 10, 2022
    Hiya! I've been loving this hack since I found it and I appreciate heavily all the work that has went into this. I have one question though, are there any plans to make menu/party sprites reflect their shiny color pallets? I can't find anything in the documentation about it and as far as I remember the original Gen 3 games didn't do this either.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • All it needs in my opinion is the planned emerald battle frontier and this hack would be the best Firered vanilla plus hack.

When/if someone else ports the backend, I'll include the Battle Frontier. I too would like to see it in FRLG+, but it's way more work than I'm willing to do for a project like this. Thanks for your comments.

Had to register to say that I've been absolutely loving this patch, Deokishisu! Many thanks for so generously sharing it with us! The complaints and needlessly negative requests (which are distinct from the polite ones) are exhausting but typical.

While the numerous QoL changes are probably—on the whole—the most impactful improvement, and Mew's island is a very fun novelty, for my money the Sevii Islands updates take the cake! I didn't have any problem with them the way they originally were, but the fresh coat of paint you gave them really brings them to life. I mean, Two Island's new beach? Coming across that the first time put a big, dopey grin on my face. Kudos!

This is neither here nor there, but I'm more-or-less a Pokémon neophyte, and it was early on in my FLRG+ play-through that I encountered my first-ever shiny! (A male Jigglypuff, just outside Mt. Moon.) I choose to interpret that as the universe giving this patch its seal of approval :).

P.S.: Oh, and how have I not mentioned how much I love the added overworld abilities? My Butterfree w/ Compound Eyes + Trick has been utterly indispensable since acquiring the TM (I'm up to three Lucky Eggs now!), Intimidate has meant Arcanine has spent a whole lot more time in my lead spot, and hatching eggs is no longer such a chore now that Magmar's incubating 'em. I could go on, but suffice it to say — your phenomenal work does not go unappreciated, Deokishisu!

Congrats on the shiny! The shiny odds haven't changed, so that was a full-odds encounter. I found a shiny Gastly while testing Master Trainers but I accidentally overwrote that test save so I lost it. :(

Protip, the Thief TM is available earlier than Trick. I use my Butterfree the exact same way except with Thief. Cool to see other people actually factoring the OW abilities into their game plans!

Thanks for your comments and feedback.

How does the nuzlocke mode interact with the daycare? Can you put invalid(and thus,perma-fainted) encounters into the daycare? Will they still be fainted when taken out? Can invalid encounters be used for breeding eggs? Would those eggs count as valid encounters if hatched ?

Nuzlocke does not interact with the Daycare at all. Fainted Pokemon can be deposited into the Daycare and breed (but they should still be fainted when withdrawn). Eggs do not set Nuzlocke flags. I figured that since Four Island is well into the postgame that Nuzlocke players will use their own discretion if they decide to use it. I didn't actually check to see if generating fainted eggs is an issue, so perhaps I'll investigate next time I work on this and see if I can make eggs count as an encounter for Four Island and faint all others. I cannot selectively faint all but the first mon hatched as doing so is a logistical nightmare, but may be able to faint all but the first egg received on Four Island rendering mons hatched from subsequent eggs useless.

FYI, the Togepi and Corsola eggs given out in the Sevii Postgame should also ignore the Nuzlocke rules and be usable. So if I do this I'll have to change how those interact with Nuzlocke as well.

Hiya! I've been loving this hack since I found it and I appreciate heavily all the work that has went into this. I have one question though, are there any plans to make menu/party sprites reflect their shiny color pallets? I can't find anything in the documentation about it and as far as I remember the original Gen 3 games didn't do this either.

It was considered, but that's a pretty big art commitment (~824 sprites total since the icons have two frames). Additionally, they would have to all be done in one of the existing 3 party sprite palettes and could not use custom palettes, so it's not simply a matter of having another palette for all sprites. Since shinies are so rare I deemed the effort not worth the reward. You are correct that the original Gen 3 games didn't do this.

----

I'm sure I missed some replies because PokeCommunity's multiquote wouldn't persist between pages and I'm not copy+pasting quotes, but I do read every post and I thank you all for your comments and feedback.

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2024
    Loving this hack! Trying to play it on EZ Flash IV but sadly it's not saving (getting "Error The M1 sub-circuit board is not installed " so it fails when saving :(

Would love is there any fix for this, if not, I will still playing it on an emulator

thanks a lot!

Back