• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PKMN FULL] Cornered On The Market! [T](OOC)

Would you like a Pokemon Sun and Moon starter as a guest customer?

• Total voters

Orx of Twinleaf

Branch into Psyche
Years
  • Well
    I decide to take a moment to myself to renew my trademark on the phrase "There's cytoplasm in my gall bladder!" and come back to one applicant backing down and two more jumping into place.
    I never would have thought this many people willfully subject themselves to Mr. Jauntier's Jauntiness

As for this whole competition thing--
    I cAnT TaKe tHe sUsPeNsE
    Oh lawd I can't look: somebody's gonna be rejected and it's gonna be terrible
    But at least I don't have to be the one that makes that decision.
    And being a heartless crusher-of-hopes is as natural to Jaunt as providing sexy voices for his characters and then sending everyone the link.

Best of luck to the both of you, dearies, may the most brown-nosing responder prevail!

ALSO HI I'M ORX I'M NOT TECHNICALLY CONCRETE IN THIS UNIVERSE AND I LIKE THE SOUND VELCRO MAKES WHEN YOU PULL IT APART REALLY FAST HI

Ys

Wandering Spirit
    Years
    • Age 31
    • They/Them
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    Hurm. All right, I have to say something before it's too late. I may not be as active. All right, there. I'm taking a week vacation on August and I do have IRL stuff too. I'm just saying in case you expect whoever to get the last spot to be very active. It's still Jauntier's decision, of course, but since you guys are part of the RP as well, then you should know.

@Disclosed Of course you're unforgettable.
    About reading the OOC thread, I haven't. I may, though.
    About v1 it was great, but yeah, stuff happened.
    @Orx thank you and nice to meet you.
    If I don't get picked, I'll still lurk. :p

Ech

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2018
    That would be insane and insanely hard to keep track of. If anything, he'd increase it to 12, thought then we'd need another player to apply and that might still be too many players. Maybe it's a good idea tho. *shrugs*

I just want Jauntier to suffer a horrible death so I can usurp his throne and turn this whole thread into my harem.​
    Lol, the site's founder was so salty with Jaunt, it was devastating.​

It hurts my heart knowing that some people could express such disdain towards my beloved Mommy.​
    Also, I like Disclosed's idea for the doppelganger. I want to see Rina choke the soul out of Tikki, and Cicaro and Frederic getting frisky.

Oh lawd I can't look: somebody's gonna be rejected and it's gonna be terrible
    But at least I don't have to be the one that makes that decision.

The thing is, Cat and whoever gets rejected could still hang around and see if they can contribute with their characters. If the special guest episode works out with my self-insert Kirlia (definitely naming her Kaze at this point), then I don't see any reason for Jauntier to not have them participate as guests inducted through a certain event.

That is, if it works.inb4 I botch everything up and Jauntier cans the idea.

exactly how many of you have Jauntier's audio files

Jauntier

Where was your antennas again?
    Years
  • LOL Disclosed, being the only person that owner ever deleted the entire post history for was beyond hilarious. He waited until my two-week slap on the wrist was over to then completely eradicate me from his "professional" hugbox. It was beautiful.

Now that I'm here, it's time to do some review! Let's see which character piques me after I address Isa's revised app and Solar Snivy's first rendition!

APPLICATION FOR:[/SIZE][/FONT] Spirited Away

Alright. Your application is pending.

As much as I saw "Cherrim" and was expecting a cute little plum that walked around and talked a little shyly through her leaves, I see you prefer the Sunshine Form Cherrim, and have devised a mechanic to keep that form present. It's interesting that this "Sunny Charm" you've created has to actually fight with Leila's emotions, as it appears when she's feeling a little more morose, her body is attempting to take on the default Overcast Form, but cannot.

That said, her ability to change forms relies on emotion. Unfortunately, I do not support that aspect for this character, simply because Cherrim's forms are established as weather-based, and so I would prefer the only factors be that she is in Sunshine Form if exposed to strong sunlight, or something that mimics strong natural light. In Spirited Away, the store lights will not be able to mimic that kind of sunlight, so it would not be until she is actually outside in the sun or in front of one of the several windows that she can bloom from natural light.

I'm not sure how I feel about the "Sunny Charm". On one hand, it's a creative trinket that forces one particular form to be present based on, I assume, its ability to mimic sunlight properties, which in turn keeps Leila on a level that I read as hyperactive, and I have allowed a couple item-based mechanics that aren't canon-validated to exist in this RP universe. On the other hand, I think Cherrim is an interesting Pokemon in itself for its weather-based form changes. You went with the "emotion-changes-form" route earlier, but I think the "weather-changes-emotion" route would be more fitting for your intentions. Why, if you wanted to be a little nuanced about it, you could basically play on the idea that she acts in a way symptomatic of seasonal affective disorder, but on the scale of weather. All that aside, if you want to keep the Sunny Charm, I will allow it, though I clearly do not mind your character without it either, is all I'm getting at.

Onward, to the cue of a Sam the Bidoof-like snippet, it seems by note of her mother (who surprised me as a Roselia, so I'll assume she's adopted; no harm in it) that when Leila goes on about being punctual, that she actually will not be. At all. I can't even call what she said as an exaggeration, because the extent to which she tried to appease just to have it shot down as a blatant lie by her own family, who clearly didn't bother to have Leila just rewrite her app with honesty as all Duris did was tack a note at the end, hahaaa. So the question is: is Leila a pathological liar? I'm genuinely interested to know.

So, Leila is applying for Spirited Away because she loves charms, but her talents clearly point toward a perfect fit for Forget-Me-Not. Since Castiel is a little ghoulish and his store is more so for the sense of the mystic, antiquated, and occultish (if not a little hacky), his take on plants and flowers is more for things like apothecary work, or even in a witching manner, but not so much bouquets and decorative flower arrangements. How would Leila fit into this theme, if at all?

If I have any other concerns or questions, I'll pose them when I they cross my mind.

Now, for Isa,

Your application is pending.

I see now that we've related Marcus to have some informal acquaintanceship with Nellie, the town seamstress! I think that could make for interesting character background to further explore, most certainly, that he gets his clothes made especially for him by her. If I accepted your character, should the time come, you would actually be keying in time with me in private to further build upon that, perhaps in the same way that Foxrally's character Errol may end up doing, although I imagine one of the two will have a much stronger background with her than the other. This section is fine.

You say that Marcus, when he loses, will act in that facetious "I let you win" attitude, but you say deep down that he doesn't actually mind admitting defeat. So then why does he not just admit defeat if it doesn't even matter to him? That bit kind of threw me off. I was thinking you may have mis-worded it.

To the background portion:

"Marcus grew up in a town not too far from Jubilee. His parents had a few encounters with humans before relocating on that only-Pokemon town." I'd like to know those encounters, personally, because I'd like to know if those encounters made them seek out a community of Pokemon only, or if it was some other factor. And where did he and his family live before moving into this other Pokemon town? Was it in or near a human settlement, hence the encounters?

I like this (nameless) Murkrow character. If this application is accepted, he could be a guest visitor for the shop later on in the story. He comes off as a wise crow. I'd like to see that lively character interaction between them, certainly. But you say the two of them traveled a lot, and I assume those experiences helped Marcus evolve from a Cindaquil, so I'd just like a couple examples of places they traveled to, that way I can get a feel for how Marcus has developed over time under what kind of conditions. You can make up these places like a Squirtle settlement down at a river delta or a hill, or you can keep it simple like "the wide open plains" or "to the cliffs, a long way north".

That's all I have to say for now. These are both very promising for different reasons.

Solar Snivy

#TeamRowlet
    Years
  • Jauntier said:
    That said, her ability to change forms relies on emotion. Unfortunately, I do not support that aspect for this character, simply because Cherrim's forms are established as weather-based, and so I would prefer the only factors be that she is in Sunshine Form if exposed to strong sunlight, or something that mimics strong natural light. In Spirited Away, the store lights will not be able to mimic that kind of sunlight, so it would not be until she is actually outside in the sun or in front of one of the several windows that she can bloom from natural light.
    Honestly I would have preferred to keep it weather-based, but I like Sunshine Form better and I can't really see how an armless overcast cherrim who can barely see could work.

I could make it that the Sunny Charm just keeps her in her half-overcast form when it's not light enough for her, instead of her emotions. It'll be like an aid to the sunlight, but not quite bright enough to keep her fully in Sunshine Form. That would still make it weather effects, but it would allow her to work.

Onward, to the cue of a Sam the Bidoof-like snippet, it seems by note of her mother (who surprised me as a Roselia, so I'll assume she's adopted; no harm in it) that when Leila goes on about being punctual, that she actually will not be. At all. I can't even call what she said as an exaggeration, because the extent to which she tried to appease just to have it shot down as a blatant lie by her own family, who clearly didn't bother to have Leila just rewrite her app with honesty as all Duris did was tack a note at the end, hahaaa. So the question is: is Leila a pathological liar? I'm genuinely interested to know.
    Actually, Duris is her father. Her mother is a cherrim.

As for the lying, that was actually a holdover of when I first wrote the application, thinking that she would be that late. Then I read that she would actually be much earlier, and I'm not sure why I didn't change how late she said she'd be. I'll change that now.

So, Leila is applying for Spirited Away because she loves charms, but her talents clearly point toward a perfect fit for Forget-Me-Not. Since Castiel is a little ghoulish and his store is more so for the sense of the mystic, antiquated, and occultish (if not a little hacky), his take on plants and flowers is more for things like apothecary work, or even in a witching manner, but not so much bouquets and decorative flower arrangements. How would Leila fit into this theme, if at all?
    Hmmm... Well, I guess I could add a fascination with mystic and mysterious things, stemming from her wondering about her charm. Also, Leila doesn't know of the existence of Forget-Me-Not, hence why it wasn't mentioned in the app. Her skiploom friend wanted to apply for FMN herself, so she didn't tell the more qualified Leila about it Not that the skiploom succeeded anyway.

EDIT: Finished correcting. Link.

Jauntier

Years
  • Honestly I would have preferred to keep it weather-based, but I like Sunshine Form better and I can't really see how an armless overcast cherrim who can barely see could work.

I could make it that the Sunny Charm just keeps her in her half-overcast form when it's not light enough for her, instead of her emotions. It'll be like an aid to the sunlight, but not quite bright enough to keep her fully in Sunshine Form. That would still make it weather effects, but it would allow her to work.

Actually, Duris is her father. Her mother is a cherrim.

I thought one could have used the two Overcast Cherrim petals as little dexterous limbs. Rina's Chimecho nubs to a point have been to her assistance. Albeit, I will admit Overcast Cherrim's eyes are close to the ground. Poor thing.

I will accept this rework of the Sunny Charm. It's a peculiar thing but it gives Leila a unique appearance.

Oh! Sorry, I thought it was just a variant spelling on "Doris". Duly noted.

As for the lying, that was actually a holdover of when I first wrote the application, thinking that she would be that late. Then I read that she would actually be much earlier, and I'm not sure why I didn't change how late she said she'd be. I'll change that now.

Oh, so she's an honest-to-goodness sort, in reality. Well, it's good to know.

Hmmm... Well, I guess I could add a fascination with mystic and mysterious things, stemming from her wondering about her charm. Also, Leila doesn't know of the existence of Forget-Me-Not, hence why it wasn't mentioned in the app. Her skiploom friend wanted to apply for FMN herself, so she didn't tell the more qualified Leila about it Not that the skiploom succeeded anyway.

Forget-Me-Not is directly across the street from Spirited Away. At the time she mailed in (if her Skiploom friend just handed it to her)/walked in to hand off her application, did she not visit Spirited Away beforehand/at least make a mental note of the area surroundings? Whatever the case, this isn't something you need to explain in her application, since taking about another store would be irrelevant, but if I choose Leila for the spot, she will be sufficiently aware of Forget-Me-Not and have heard about Amaryllis (correctly or not) by the time of this role-play. You know, for the sake of convenience.

This Skiploom friend could be an idea for a guest visitor, when I open up a time frame for player-created NPC customers. I wonder how their interaction would go. The Skiploom is clearly looking out for themselves by withholding info about Forget-Me-Not to the overqualified Leila, so I'd enjoy those subtle backhanded compliments that one might drop on our unsuspecting Cherrim.

EDIT: Finished correcting. Link.

Your application is pending. We're at stage two before I pop The Question. Until then, two things:

The following sentence is a relic of the emotional form-change era, and would need to be corrected: "I'm also kind of sensitive to yelling, it gets me kind of upset enough to revert to overcast forme"

I'm going to take a look at her explanation of her move use, which I appreciate her explaining for me. Apologies in advance that I hadn't addressed these in my first revision, but you're a quick one, so there will be no trouble to it:

Leila can use Morning Sun to keep up her energy, is her way of explaining it. The only issue is, as the name of the move implies, it works best in the morning under direct sunlight. The productivity of the move will be noticeably cut by sunset, which will be 6 PM in this role-play. The players will be working until midnight. Is this alright with you? If not, you are free to switch out that move for another, or to strike it entirely.

Sunny Day is not needed. Ignoring Morning Sun's similar exposure to weather and the perk of energy regain, it's the Summer Festival, and this role-play takes place within the time frame of one day. The weather will be slightly cloudy and will become just a little too hot. Your Sunny Charm takes the place of the move's main purpose, which is to keep her form up. That, and I'm not too big on weather-changing moves, just because of its scale. If, though, your Sunny Charm sort of "recharges" by being in sunlight, nothing is stopping your character from taking a couple fifteen-minute breaks by Castiel's permission to stand outside and get some sun. It'll give your character some introspective time, and maybe a keen look across the street into Forget-Me-Not's windows to peep what's going on. All in all, please use another move in place of Sunny Day, or strike it entirely.

This is shaping up to be an interesting workshop, huh?

Xtrashy

Shy - Like really shy, super shy, like, extra shy.
    Years
  • I'm all for people not using Sunny Day, because if it was used Spora would literally light on fire upon stepping into open sun. Unless you want to light her on fire, which I guess is your own goal then.

Ech

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2018
    I'm all for people not using Sunny Day, because if it was used Spora would literally light on fire upon stepping into open sun. Unless you want to light her on fire, which I guess is your own goal then.

Sunny Day's original name is Clear Sky, which is why moves like Moonlight benefit from it; because there's no clouds to obstruct light. I want to imagine that the move itself doesn't actually amplify solar radiation to the point where it could cook up our lovely Parasect for a mushroom stir-fry; irritation perhaps, but certainly not combustion.

Hmm, I'm kind of hungry for some mushrooms now. Not those kind of shrooms, stfu

Solar Snivy

#TeamRowlet
    Years
  • Forget-Me-Not is directly across the street from Spirited Away. At the time she mailed in (if her Skiploom friend just handed it to her)/walked in to hand off her application, did she not visit Spirited Away beforehand/at least make a mental note of the area surroundings? Whatever the case, this isn't something you need to explain in her application, since taking about another store would be irrelevant, but if I choose Leila for the spot, she will be sufficiently aware of Forget-Me-Not and have heard about Amaryllis (correctly or not) by the time of this role-play. You know, for the sake of convenience.
    Noted. I'll have the Skiploom friend not tell her about it being open for hire though.

Leila can use Morning Sun to keep up her energy, is her way of explaining it. The only issue is, as the name of the move implies, it works best in the morning under direct sunlight. The productivity of the move will be noticeably cut by sunset, which will be 6 PM in this role-play. The players will be working until midnight. Is this alright with you? If not, you are free to switch out that move for another, or to strike it entirely.
    That's all right.

Sunny Day is not needed. Ignoring Morning Sun's similar exposure to weather and the perk of energy regain, it's the Summer Festival, and this role-play takes place within the time frame of one day. The weather will be slightly cloudy and will become just a little too hot. Your Sunny Charm takes the place of the move's main purpose, which is to keep her form up. That, and I'm not too big on weather-changing moves, just because of its scale. If, though, your Sunny Charm sort of "recharges" by being in sunlight, nothing is stopping your character from taking a couple fifteen-minute breaks by Castiel's permission to stand outside and get some sun. It'll give your character some introspective time, and maybe a keen look across the street into Forget-Me-Not's windows to peep what's going on. All in all, please use another move in place of Sunny Day, or strike it entirely.
    All right, I'll switch it for Worry Seed.

EDIT: Finished correcting.

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
    Years
  • Honestly I would have preferred to keep it weather-based, but I like Sunshine Form better and I can't really see how an armless overcast cherrim who can barely see could work.

The idea of roleplaying/reading about an Overcast Cherrim is kinda growing on me. Like, they would obviously see the world from a different angle - but maybe they sense the world differently if they keep their sleepy eyes closed (like how some blind people vividly imagine their surroundings based off of sounds, etc.) Idk, it also feels like an Overcast Cherrim fits the theme of Spirited Away a bit better; or alternatively, the charm isn't super successful or it only has a certain amount of charge, so she's constantly in a state of in-between (that's kinda what you have going for it a little, but pushing it farther to where she's constantly in that purple-ish wilting stage.) As Jaunt said, the leaves can be used as cute itty-bitty arms, too, so you wouldn't be left helpless.

I mean these are just my thoughts and you're welcome to steal/scrap them; playing your Leila to your liking. Just thought I'd give my two cents and offer ideas. :)​

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    I'm personally more partial to non-conventional Pokemon, in terms of body shape and movement. Hence why I chose my character to be a Chimecho instead of the intended zombie-like Espurr. It's just fun to explore their more unorthodox perspectives.​

Ech

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2018
    Someone should really play as a Slugma

could you get any more non-conventional than a literal blob of molten magma

Solar Snivy

#TeamRowlet
    Years
  • Slugma couldn't even work in a shop. Like, they have no arms, and they burn/melt anything they touch, including the floor. Imagine if one worked for Amaryllis. A blob of magma in a flower shop.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    they could have gloves made of fire blankets

they could have a golem father and be in more touch with their rock side

they could have a pendant that cools them down when the sun hits it right​

Ech

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2018
    Real daredevis play as Ferroseed.

I'm sorry, I get triggered when Ferroseed is mentioned. I still have PTSD flash backs of Gen 5's dumb metagame. Everyone, and I mean, everyone had a goddamn spiked durian on their team. What even is a durian.And if you wanna talk handicap, Slugma literally dies if it stops moving.

Xtrashy

Shy - Like really shy, super shy, like, extra shy.
    Years
  • Sunny Day's original name is Clear Sky, which is why moves like Moonlight benefit from it; because there's no clouds to obstruct light. I want to imagine that the move itself doesn't actually amplify solar radiation to the point where it could cook up our lovely Parasect for a mushroom stir-fry; irritation perhaps, but certainly not combustion.

Yes except Spora's ability is Dry Skin. So she burns in all encompassing sun.

Jauntier

Years

• Alright. Isa has not gotten back yet with her own link to a proper secondary revision, so I'll proceed with you.

I am going to ask your character, Leila, a question as Castiel. Please respond as she would, in-character:

Cornered On The Market! [T](OOC)
    ... Alright, Leila. I've read your application. Take a look to my left. No, my left. Yes, now do you see that tall stack of papers? These are applications that list job skills all too short and similar to your own. Everybody's sociable; everybody's a hard worker. Often times people are only telling me what they hear. As for you, the little bit of information you've given me about a unique skill, finally, ends up being in flower arrangement. I hardly have any use for that in my store. So now you tell me: What makes you a standout from all these other applicants? Don't even think about falling back on your appearance, or this piece of paper will go in the trash, instead.

Ys

Wandering Spirit
    Years
    • Age 31
    • They/Them
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    I'm still working on mine, but it's taking time. I'm changing some things around. The Murkrow may not appear, but the second background is turning out to be kind of long. Though better and more thought out, I think. But of course I'm not expecting anyone to wait for me. Just saying.

Spoiler:

All right, this is my final form. I believe it's edited enough. I changed his personality, taking into account the changes I made to his background, and your question, Jauntier, about the discrepancy on how he reacted to losing. On his background I added the details of how the parents came to move from a forest on the wild to a town close to Jubilee and then how and why Marcus came into the town. I also added a sister into the mix. He still wears the hat, but not the sunglasses. The hat can have been made by Ellen "Nellie" the Leavannay, or not. In this case, though, he wouldn't know her personally, but if the hat did come from her, then I would be all right to work on the details farther, as you suggested.

Also, if you wanted to add the sister as the special guest, instead of the Murkrow, I would personally like the idea. If it's not possible, then that's fine.

Fiu. Well, at least I made an effort.

Last edited:
    Back