• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Critical Capture

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    In every main series game after Gen V, there's a type of capture called critical capture. This is when a you throw a ball to catch a Pokemon and it makes a loud whoosh sound , it lands immediately, only rolls once and your Pokemon is caught. It happens pretty rarely, but the chances of getting a critical capture increase depending on the number of Pokemon you caught recorded in your Pokedex. (I'll post a chart later when off my 3DS).

Have you ever gotten a critical capture? How often do you get them?

I've gotten them tons of times in White. This is pretty much since I have over 300 Pokemon on my Pokedex so they happen often. Still it's exciting when one happens cause it's still not a common thing even with the increased chances. I don't think I've gotten one in Y yet though. I only have like 30 Pokemon however so it's still a very rare for me in Y.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
    When I first played through Gen V, it was seldom that I actually got a Critical Capture. Of course, I didn't really have a lot of Pokemon captured in the first place. But yeah, I'm pretty sure that I've only gotten five critical captures in Gen V, not a lot.

Now in Gen VI, this changed drastically. Since I caught essentially every new Pokemon in each route for my Pokedex, I got a lot of critical captures. Like, a lot. I was pretty surprised when I was getting crit captures semi-regularly.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
    First time I got a critical capture was in Gen V and I went like, wait wtf? It shook once. I was so confused then I learned about the critical capture. I love the concept of critical captures when you get more and mroe Pokemon added to your Pokedex, it's like if your method of capturing Pokemon is actually getting better by experience :)
    It's also a plus when trying to capture legendaries.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I've completed the National Dex, so I get critical captures quite frequently actually. What pisses me off is that my critical capture success rate is only like 75%, so a quarter of them will just shake once and pop out, which really like defeats the purpose of a critical capture.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I think I got like one or two in GenV because I really wasn't collecting all that many pokémon and I reset often.

Since the release of Pokébank in GenVI and the overwhelmind abundance of pokémon I've gotten as a result of wonder trading my breeding project rejects, I get them fairly often in Y now. XD

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
    I actually got one early in the game in Black. I haven't really played any later ones or gotten far in that game, so I thought it was like a glitch with the ROM. But, I guess not!
    I now know what a critical capture is (:

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
    I got them every now and then in White and Black2, but not that often.
    As for Pokemon X, i think it happened a lot more, although im not sure why

Years
    I've gotten critical captures quite a lot when I was playing, mainly because I've gotten the chances increased due to me catching loads of Pokemon. It's a pretty nice touch I have to say and I hope they keep it around again next generation, and given most of the time the catches are successful, it makes critical captures even more fun.

At least they made an easily noticeable sound when you throw the Poke Ball. I managed to nab loads of great Pokemon through critical captures, so having the chance increase when you catch more Pokemon makes catching Pokemon even more easy.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I've heard about critical captures, but I've never had it happen to me. Ever. :( It depends a lot on your luck, I suppose, which I didn't have. It would be nice if I got the chance to see how critical captures really work. Hm, maybe I could look it up on YouTube.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
    The sad thing is that it's only happened to me once when I playing White 2. At the time I was trying to catch a metang and was spamming ultra balls over and over. Then in the midst of spamming I heard the distinct sound and hoped this would be the definite catch. Of course it wasn't that easy and it faliled after the ball shook once >:

Lost Lore

From the Shadows
    Years
    I can't remember the last time I had a critical capture, but they're usually really rare for me. I don't really like filling up the Pokedex all that much, since I'd rather just work with whatever I can get and only catch what I intend to use (hey, it's better than stuffing things in the PC for the rest of eternity...) so that would explain it, haha.

I do remember being extremely startled when the Poke Ball I threw went WHOOOOOSH and caught the Pokemon after only shaking once, though.

Years
    I get these quite a lot and 90% of the time they work wonders! When I hear the critical capture sound of the ball being thrown I'm always pretty excited because I know that means success most of the time. I guess I'm fairly lucky given how often some others here get 'em. -shares luck-

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    I get these quite a lot, suprisingly! If I'm trying to catch a Metang, or Ditto I end up throwing what it seems like thousands of PokéBalls. I've gotten around 4 critical captures in one battle, and the first 3 fail all because that Metang had full HP. I hate you, Metang :(

Back