• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Critical is not very critical

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    X and Y are bringing many changes. One newly discovered change is the weakening of Critical Damage.

Where it used to be 200% damage total on Critical and 300% with Sniper, Critical Hits now deal 150% damage and 225% with Sniper. Lowering damage by 50% for a regular hit and 75% for Sniper.

What do you think about this?

Years
  • Thanks for pointing that out Xander, I had no idea critical hits were nerfed a bit until now.

But still, the nerf doesn't seem too drastic compared to past generations. We have had loads of moves getting nerfed, and even the weather abilities so I don't mind this nerf if they were balancing things out. At least I'm glad they won't be OHKO'ing as often as previous games so it was a welcome change.

Last edited:

Pilkie

Pokémon Breeder
    Years
  • I am okay with it. To be honest, old critical hits were a pain, especially on the receiving end. A move like Blast Burn could be 'Not Very Effective' and still One-hit-KO pokémon if your opponent was able to hit a critical with it. That was always a major annoyance to me. I can't see this making a massive impact on how battles go, but I can defiantly see super-effectivity and STAB becoming a bit more useful.

Reactions: Sun

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I actually love it. Critical Hits are scary, it neglects Light Screen and Reflection. I'm really glad that it got nerf tbh. {:3} Needed this since Gen III. :)

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • I'm All in Favor of this Change. Crits aren't as fun as Strategy.... Unless the Ability Super Luck IS your strategy.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Oh, really? That's great. Criticals are entirely random so they shouldn't be too good.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Thanks for pointing that out Xander, I had no idea critical hits were nerfed a bit until now.

But still, the nerf doesn't seem too drastic compared to past generations. We have had loads of moves getting nerfed, and even the weather abilities so I don't mind this nerf if they were balancing things out. At least I'm glad they won't be OHKO'ing as often as previous games so it was a welcome change.
    Serebii actually posted something on it earlier today.

I wasn't surprised though, seeing how playing in Aime increases the chances of getting a critical...

Years
  • Criticial Hits are very common now, because of Pokémon-Amie. So lowering the rate balances that out a little.
    I was noticing this, too. It seems like one in three or four moves is a critical for my better Pokemon. I'm not into competitive play so I can just be glad it makes things a little easier on me in a pinch sometimes, but not so easy that I can take on something much stronger and still have a pretty good chance of a lucky hit.

Reactions: Sun
    Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    I knew about this. I think its an improvement in some way since 200% crits where too "overpowered" if you might say in a game that often relies on luck.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Whether it be as the benefactor or on the receiving end of one, the mild nerf for critical hits is okay with me. Amie helps landing critical hits more often while it'll be nice not having some of your Pokémon instantly KO'd by someone else on the off chance they get lucky.

Kaitou

Demonic Archangel
    Years
  • I normally land a lot of critical hits... no wonder they weren't OHKO'ing lol. But it's definitely a good thing. Pokemon Amie makes up for it in-game so it's a wonderful change in online battles imo.

ramibas299

GOTTA CATCH EM' ALL!!
    Years
  • I honestly think it should be removed completely. They weakened it which is alright, but critical hits change battles for the worse most of the time.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • When I first read the title of this thread, I was expecting you guys complaining about critical hits not being as powerful as before. But after reading these posts, I was reminded of how much you guys hate critical hits due to those hax on battle facilities. Well at now this region's battle facility won't be as frustrating as the previous ones.

ChaosCrystal

黒竜 影
    Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2014
    I think its good that criticals got powered down, but one thing i did noticed and id like confirmation, postive or negative, about this is whenever i land a critical hit on a pokemon who has used def/sp def increasing moves the extra def/sp def is over looked and the damage becomes exponential.

Years
  • Wouldn't the chance be for competitive battling, well all battling because of Pokemon Aime (Or are Pokemon amie benifits removed when you do battles online?) because that might be why.

Last edited:

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • Another reason, koffi~

Mega-Evolutions. If they didn't tone it down a notch, the Mega-Evolutions that can learn Focus Energy would do a clean sweep of all our teams. Acrobatics is a pain in my side, however. . . so I think it was meant to work better with the newer game mechanics, koff~

Back