• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Daily Chit-Chat -- Autumn and/or Spring Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years
    My reason behind watching anime and manga is the same reason behind kids watching Saturday morning cartoons--it's fun. The day someone takes those things seriously (unless they're trying to attempt to mimc the art style) is the day it stops being so fun.

Now, certain game shows, on the other hand, are fun AND very much educational. /Cash Cab ftw

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    My reason behind watching anime and manga is the same reason behind kids watching Saturday morning cartoons--it's fun. The day someone takes those things seriously (unless they're trying to attempt to mimc the art style) is the day it stops being so fun.

Now, certain game shows, on the other hand, are fun AND very much educational. /Cash Cab ftw

I agree with this.. but then why were you trying to express the fact that anime was as educational as certain factitious books? @_@ Life lessons from anime and anime solely will leave you being a pretty 'crippled' individual..

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    i have to say, it was very disheartening to come here a few pages ago and see the amount of ignorance that was shining from the posts here but things are looking up now that a lot of people are saying its out of enjoyment and they wouldn't choose manga over textbooks in any and all situations where you have the choice to decide between the two. to compare life lessons with ones that will actually get you further in life than learning something that'll take you somewhere is very naive, and that was one of the points i was trying to prove while i was going on about it. it's very unfortunate that people believe that, but there are those people that believe sources of entertainment can be use to nourish the mind in ways more than life lessons, especially since you can learn life lessons from anything. hints the term "life" lessons.

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years
    ...I wasn't? I just said some anime/manga series offer life lessons; I didn't say they were more educational than actual educational material. At least I don't think I did. And if I did... My wording sucks.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    ...I wasn't? I just said some anime/manga series offer life lessons; I didn't say they were more educational than actual educational material. At least I don't think I did. And if I did... My wording sucks.

I think you might've slightly implied it with your responses and it probably didn't help the fact that perhaps some of us assumed so, but either way no one's gonna stop you from doing somthing you love doing so you should just use your own discretion about what we say here.

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years
    Freedom of speech, ftw. Though some things are best kept quiet, especially if you know it could potentially hurt someone. You could still say whatever you want, just know you may have to suffer consequences later. It all depends on the situation. Or something.

Years
    i have to say, it was very disheartening to come here a few pages ago and see the amount of ignorance that was shining from the posts here but things are looking up now that a lot of people are saying its out of enjoyment and they wouldn't choose manga over textbooks in any and all situations where you have the choice to decide between the two. to compare life lessons with ones that will actually get you further in life than learning something that'll take you somewhere is very naive, and that was one of the points i was trying to prove while i was going on about it. it's very unfortunate that people believe that, but there are those people that believe sources of entertainment can be use to nourish the mind in ways more than life lessons, especially since you can learn life lessons from anything. hints the term "life" lessons.

Well, in their defense, I wouldn't be wrong in assuming that those people are younger members of PC.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    In terms of unadulterated, educational material, Textbooks > Manga.
    that was the type i was concentrating on, but a lot of people used the excuse that life lessons taught in manga and anime were seemingly equal to unadulterated, educational material.

Years
    And they aren't?

You do realize that the only reason manga are sometimes sought over textbooks are

Fighting
    Meaningful Life lessons
    Etc. (I haven't read a lot of manga, but I'm sure more goes in here)

And as far as I've seen textbooks, the only ones that pique my interest are the psychology ones. History textbooks...are too long. It took me 5 weeks, speed-reading, to memorize the entire thing for enjoyment.

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years
    Unless the textbook's very poorly written and the facts are all wrong, there's no chance manga can be better than...

Wait a sec, just remembered.

There are actually a few manga-style books out there that teach people certain things. While I had a Physics block at my last school, my dad and I came across a "Manga Guide to Physics" at a bookstore. He ended up getting it for my birthday. And it was originally done by mangaka, though it was Americanized (meaning it was made to be read from left-to-right). It isn't as thick as your typical textbook, but it's fun and educational at the same time.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    And they aren't?

You do realize that the only reason manga are sometimes sought over textbooks are

Fighting
    Meaningful Life lessons

And as far as I've seen textbooks, the only ones that pique my interest are the psychology ones. History textbooks...are too long. It took me 5 weeks, speed-reading, to memorize the entire thing for enjoyment.
    i lol'd at the reasons you listed. last i checked, history books contain a great deal of fighting and meaningful life lessons. in fact, i was always under the impression that meaningful life lessons was one of the things history was based on - learning from the past and making it impact your life enough so you don't make the same mistakes. but no, life lessons and unadulterated educational material are not at all equal. you try making a living out of just life lessons. see how far that gets you. you'd likely be making minimum wage your entire life and struggling to make ends meet, at most.

Years
    And they aren't?

Fighting
    Meaningful Life lessons

There isn't any fighting in History?

On what planet do you spend most of your time?

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    And they aren't?

Fighting
    Meaningful Life lessons

Wait.. are you arguing that you can learn more about fighting through manga than history books which teach the lessons of struggles of real wars and post-war?

:/ My friend, you do know cartoons are caricatures of reality, right?

Years
    *faceplam*

...What do you guys think me of? I mean seriously

Anyway I was saying that in some areas manga and anime exceeds textbooks.

For example, Hetalia. Watched a few times, and it encouraged me to learn more about history, and geography. Years later, you're looking at a three time school geo-champ.

Textbooks? I hated them. I didn't learn anything from them back then.

What I;m trying to say is if it wasn't for anime/manga (and Kura, I do know that they're fake, and based off of real life. Some. I'm pretty sure DBZ doesn't fall in that category) I never would have learned anything about history/geography.

In the end, I just think manga/anime is a better way to reaching out to anyone. Though some...don't really work in the way of learning anything. Bleach, anyone?

Also, I do know that there's fighting in history, thank you very much.

Oh wait hold on I;m not done yet!

I think some of you remember what history class used to be like, hmm?

Look. The fights were boring. It's only now it's starting to get interesting with new teaching techniques.

Meaningful lessons?

Um...that you shouldn't treat people like crap(England vs. America?)? Yeah, learned that.

That you shouldn't make enemies?

But I will say history does get interesting after MS. In HS, you start learning about real history. So..whatever. My fingers are tired.

Happy now?

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    *faceplam*

For example, Hetalia. Watched a few times, and it encouraged me to learn more about history, and geography. Years later, you're looking at a three time school geo-champ.
    Yes, Hetalia helped me learn about World War II, but I'm saying I could've just looked up an article on WWII as well.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    *faceplam*

What I;m trying to say is if it wasn't for anime/manga (and Kura, I do know that they're fake, and based off of real life. Some. I'm pretty sure DBZ doesn't fall in that category) I never would have learned anything about history/geography.

In the end, I just think manga/anime is a better way to reaching out to anyone. Though some...don't really work in the way of learning anything. Bleach, anyone?

Look. The fights were boring. It's only now it's starting to get interesting with new teaching techniques.

Meaningful lessons?

Um...that you shouldn't treat people like crap(England vs. America?)? Yeah, learned that.

But I will say history does get interesting after MS. In HS, you start learning about real history. So..whatever. My fingers are tired.

Happy now?

I understood absolutely nothing. You switch to different subjects while showing no transition between the two subjects and the spacing is just too horrid.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    *faceplam*

Meaningful lessons?

Happy now?

@_@ You're basically saying.. learn through your passions. Not "learn through anime and manga" yeah. You don't find it boring so you actually pay attention and TRY to take your own meanings from it.
    Someone who has a passion for cooking can say the EXACT same thing about life lessons. They can say, for example, that the way to someone's heart is through the stomach.

But there are people who say "Anime is boring and a load of turd.. history is AWESOME" and they like to learn about obscure dates in history like that "cattle disaster" that happened some year on July 7th.

I am going to reiterate.. that anime shouldn't be your SOLE resource for education. But I know you already know this. I just felt like saying it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back