• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

~Darkness Falls~ *Dark Type Pokemon Fan Club*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years

Dark Type Bi-Monthly Showcase

Shiftry vs. Cacturne

Shiftry, The Wickid Pokémon. It is a mysterious Pokémon that is said to live atop towering trees dating back over a thousand years. It creates terrific windstorms with the fans it holds which generate awesome gusts of wind at a speed close to 100 feet per second. The whipped-up wind blows anything away. It chooses to live quietly deep in forests. It can read the foe's mind and take preemptive action.
    Cacturne, The Scarecrow Pokémon. During the daytime, Cacturne remains unmoving so that it does not lose any moisture to the harsh desert sun. This Pokémon becomes active at night when the temperature drops. If a traveler is going through a desert in the thick of night, Cacturne will follow in a ragtag group. The Pokémon are biding their time, waiting for the traveler to tire and become incapable of moving.

Coding is broken here dont mind me (if you see me say something)
    Lets Compare!

Which dark type do you think has the best design and why?
    Who do you think might win in a battle?
    Which dark type would you choose if you had to?
    In your opinion do you think one is better than the other? Why? Are there specific moves that one can learn that may give them the advantage? Or does one just clearly have better stats?
    Which one is your overall favorite and why?
    Other Thoughts?

Sorry for the lateness! I may be alittle slow on when i can and can't get the topics up cause y'know school and all but what do you guys think of the first pokemon showcase? Hope it looks good and all especially since Darkrai wasnt too popular. Also i picked two dark types that have typing in common to make the first comparison alittle easier to determine.

Last edited:

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years

Shiftry, it's a bit more unique, even if it is kinda weird.

Shiftry, it's faster and gets X-scissor while Cacturne only gets Pin Missile.

Shiftry as it's a bit better in battle for my play style and I like it more anyway.

In your opinion do you think one is better than the other? Why? Are there specific moves that one can learn that may give them the advantage? Or does one just clearly have better stats?

Cacturne has better attacking stats while Shiftry has better Speed (they have equal defenses) and Shiftry gets X-scissor while Cacturne does not, which I think gives it a major advantage.

Shiftry because it is a bit more versatile than Cacturne.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    Username: Otamajakushi
    Nickname: Tamama
    Reason you love dark types: They are some of the coolest looking Pokemon, and have some of the coolest move animations.
    3 partner Pokemon: Zoroark, Greninja, and Scrafty
    Answer any current topic:

(Shifty vs Cacturne) Which one is your overall favorite and why?
    I like Shifty more, only because I like Nuzleaf a lot. To be honest, it's hard to pick one over the other!
    Which dark type gym leader/elite four member is your favorite?
    Grimsley in Unova. I really liked his entire team a lot, especially since he had a Scrafty and Bisharp.
    What is your all time favorite dark type and why?
    Scrafty! The first dark type I caught in Unova was a Scraggy and it was love at first sight.
    What is your favorite secondary typing for a Dark-type?
    Fighting, because I also really love fighting-type Pokemon.
    Do you always use a dark type on your ingame team? Is it a necessity to always have one?
    Absolutely! Unless I'm doing a themed run where that's not possible, my main runs usually include a dark type.

Here is a collage of my partner Pokemon I made:

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
    Shiftry vs. Cacturne
    This one goes to Shiftry. While I think it's ugly and I don't get its feet, Cacturne looks very plain and boring as its just a cactus in man-shape with a hat (which kinda makes sense as it's apparently a scarecrow, which I only just learned).

Shiftry can learn X-Scissor, ×4 to Cacturne. GG.

Cacturne, as I'm not really a fan of Shiftry (even when it won in above two categories).

They're both offensive Pokémon, while Cacturne can learn some handy tanky moves and Sand Veil can help a lot. There's not much difference in their stats, but Shiftry has a bigger movepool which gives it the advantage.

Still being stubborn and saying Cacturne.

Dedenne1

Years

Dark Type Pokemon of The Week

Deino
    Deino, The Irate Pokémon. Lacking sight, it's unaware of its surroundings, so it bumps into things and eats anything that moves. Their bodies are covered in wounds

Possible Questions:
    Have you ever used it in-game?
    Whats your overall thoughts on its design?
    What are your thoughts on its typing? Does it seem like a dark type?
    If you could change Deino in anyway what would you change?
    Other thoughts?

Feedback Questions:
    What'd you guys think of the Pokemon Comparison? Should it continue Bi-Monthly?
    What can i do to make the Comparison and POTW more interesting and better looking?
    How can i run the club better? Any suggestions or events you think we should host?
    How does the OP look? Theres been some issues recently but i think everything is good now right? (What can we improve in the OP? Do you like the links to current POTW or no?)
    Other thoughts?

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    Unfortunately not. I've always seemed to forget about it. I'm not sure why, because Hydreigon is an absolutely adorable and cool-looking Pokemon. I think I may endeavor to use it someday, perhaps during a Dragon-type monotype.
    I think it looks really cool and I can certainly appreciate how they carried over the design of its face to its evolution, Zweilous. After it evolves into Hydreigon, it opens its eyes, which can be regarded as symbolic to some people. On top of that, Black, Purple, and Blue are my favorite colors of all time!
    The typing is fantastic. Of course being dark is amazing, but coupled with dragon type can make this Pokemon fierce. The combo certainly isn't tickity-tak by any measure.
    I think I would remove the "covered in wounds" part of its dex entry. It's just so sad and unfortunate that that has to be a thing. It does give it personality though, but I'd just feel awful that I'd be fostering that.

This is tough, because it's usually hard to pick just one. I love 'em all!
    How does the OP look? Theres been some issues recently but i think everything is good now right?
    I have enumerated some suggestion that I think would be beneficial:
    1. Make the images of the POW clickable to the posts in which they were featured.
    2. Pangoro's sprite is missing!
    Everything else is on point!

Lycanthropy

Years
    POTW: Deino
    I don't find Deino the most interesting Pokémon, mainly because I'm not a real fan of its ability: Hustle. I always rely on full accuracy moves during a normal playthrough and Hustle just breaks that. There's also not much dragon (darkness is certainly present as its blind )on the Pokémon yet, but that will change upon reaching its final form, which is definitely worth it. I haven't used it yet however. It's evolution level is really high. You get Salamence in level 50, the same level in which Deino evolves into Zweilous. I mean, what the hell?

Feedback Questions:

I like it, so yes.
    What can i do to make the Comparison and POTW more interesting and better looking?
    Actually, I don't think there's much to improve about those. Maybe alternating them with some more regular topics would help.
    How can i run the club better? Any suggestions or events you think we should host?
    In general you're doing well! Regarding events, there are tons of options: drawing a Pokémon, writing a short story and designing a dark type fakemon come to my mind at the moment.
    How does the OP look? Theres been some issues recently but i think everything is good now right? (What can we improve in the OP? Do you like the links to current POTW or no?)
    It looks great, there's as pointed out by Otamajakushi, a few Pokémon missing in the list, but that's a detail.
    Other thoughts?
    It's clearly an eye and not a moon!

Wicked3DS

Years
    Deino responses:

Never have, and I'm not sure I will since it takes REALLY long to evolve this line.

Two headed Pokémon aren't all that unique, but this design is and it's pretty cool if you ask me.

Considering its characteristics and judging by its design, Dark-type seems to suit it very well.

Nothing really, it fits well for the concept that it was given in my opinion.

Other thoughts?

Deino is a pretty cool middle stage Pokémon and it fits very well with its line.

Dedenne1

Years

Dark Type Bi-Monthly Showcase

Sableye vs. Pangoro

Sableye, The Darkness Pokémon. It digs the ground with sharpened claws to find rocks that it eats. Substances in the eaten rocks crystallize and rise up to its body surface. They lead quiet lives deep inside caverns. They are feared, however, because they are thought to steal the spirits of people when their eyes burn with a sinister glow in the darkness. It digs branching holes in caves using its sharp claws in search of food--raw gems.
    Pangoro, The Daunting Pokémon. Although it posses a violent temperament, it won't put up with bullying. It uses the leaf in its mouth to sense the movements of its enemies. It charges ahead and bashes its opponents like a berserker, uncaring about any hits it might take. Its arms are mighty enough to snap a telephone pole.

Coding is broken here dont mind me (if you see me say something)
    Lets Compare!

Which type combination do you like better Pangoro's? or Sableye's?
    Other Thoughts?

Sorry for the lateness! Once again haha im gonna try to get on top of all my clubs in the coming days then try to update them when needed!

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I think Pangoro has a better design. It's a giant fighting panda!
    I think Sableye would win in a battle. Pangoro is part fighting-type, which doesn't help it at all.
    Sableye, in a heartbeat! I love it!
    Sableye. I used one in a playthrough once and I enjoyed it's play style. That's not to say I don't like Pangoro. I've just never had a Pangoro before.
    Sableye. I like the Dark/Ghost match up well.

Thief

The Dark One
    Years
    Username: Thief
    Nickname:
    Reason you love dark types: No reason, always been partial to them ever since I realised Dark type was a thing, and I typically lean towards the dark element/side of things no matter what game I'm playing. I love anything to do with stealth, shadows etc. so Darks fit the bill pretty nicely.
    3 partner Pokemon: Mightyena, Absol, Zoroark
    Answer any current or past topic: Most evil-looking Dark? Torn between Cacturne and Malamar. Those eyes. I suppose I'd go with Cacturne.

Sableye. Reminds me of the Heartless/Unversed in Kingdom Hearts, as well as Stitch from Lilo & Stitch. It's also fairly original. I like Pangoro but he's literally just a bipedal Mafia panda.

Sableye. At least in his mega forme.

Sableye.

Both Prankster and Magic Bounce are great abilities that Sableye has access to and Pangoro doesn't, but I think they both fill entirely different niches in battle, so I can't really say one is better than the other from a competitive point of view.

Sableye for aforementioned reasons, plus they were in a horde before it was cool (PMD Time/Darkness/Sky, anyone?).

Well, Pangoro has a handy immunity to Psychic where his second type would be weak to it, but Dark/Ghost has only one weakness and Sableye is a very defensive Pokémon to begin with, so Sableye's combo. Plus Dark/Ghost is a cool combo only two Mons have access to.

Lycanthropy

Years
    Username: Thief
    (..)
    Well, Pangoro has a handy immunity to Psychic where his second type would be weak to it, but Dark/Ghost has only one weakness and Sableye is a very defensive Pokémon to begin with, so Sableye's combo. Plus Dark/Ghost is a cool combo only two Mons have access to.

It may be late, but welcome to the club, Thief! Let me guess, Thief is your favorite dark type move?

Anyway, I agree that Sableye has a great typing, without weaknesses in the past, one now. It's perfect for a wall and it's Mega is like the best wall ever. I don't think it has ever happened I didn't have trouble by getting it down and I forget Stealth Rock is affected by Magic Bounce too too often.

Also, Dedenne, I can't really answer this comparison. The Pokémon aren't comparable, they're completely different. I have absolutely no idea which one of them I like more. They are both very useful in their own way.
    Sableye may have full resistance against Pangoro's fighting attacks, but its own won't do a lot of damage either. Still, with it's Will-o-Wisp and Recover (both while making use of Prankster) it can completely block Pangoro's attacks, so I expect the panda to be unable to keep up with it.

Thief

The Dark One
    Years
    It may be late, but welcome to the club, Thief! Let me guess, Thief is your favorite dark type move?

Anyway, I agree that Sableye has a great typing, without weaknesses in the past, one now. It's perfect for a wall and it's Mega is like the best wall ever. I don't think it has ever happened I didn't have trouble by getting it down and I forget Stealth Rock is affected by Magic Bounce too too often.

Haha, well of course.

Yeah, I had so much fun with Mega Sableye in that Hoenn-only online tourney where we won HA Tyrunt. Set up a few Calm Minds, Will-O-Wisp any Meta or Salamence... Mega Altaria wasn't particularly fun to deal with though.

& Nothing is more satisfying than Mega Bouncing SR/Toxic Spikes/Thunder Wave at the start of a battle.

noa

sleeping cutie
    Years
    Username: Noa-Tan
    Nickname: Noa
    Reason you love dark types: When they were first introduced in gen 2 I thought they were a perfect edition to the existing types. It added a nice element of light and dark that even as a kid I felt was missing from the game. I fell in love with Murkrow, Sneasel and the Hound family instantly!
    3 partner Pokemon: Murkrow, Sneaseal, Darkrai
    Answer any current or past topic: Which Dark type is the most evil looking in your opinion? Why?
    I'd say Houndoom. I mean... it literally looks like a hound straight out of hell, like Satan's pet. The mega-evolution made it look even more evil!

Dedenne1

Years

Zorua
    Zorua, The Tricky Fox Pokemon, To protect themselves from danger, they hide their true identities by transforming into people and Pokémon and apparently it often transforms into a silent child.

Possible Questions:
    Do you like the Zorua and Zoroarks line ability Illusion?
    If you could change Zorua in anyway what would you change?
    What are your thoughts on its (beautiful) shiny form?
    Other thoughts?

Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry for the lateness school and all is ummm busyish. But anyways...

Happy Halloween Everyone!

Spoiler:

Thief

The Dark One
    Years
    Yep. Love it.

Whereas Zoroark looks more like an (awesome) porcupine/werewolf hybrid, Zorua fits the fox theme and pulls it off really well. Love the colours too.

Definitely. So much fun to mess around with when it's your own Pokémon, but I always get tricked when someone-else's Zoro comes out lol.

I don't see any need to change it, but it always bothers me when a Pokémon doesn't have a Hidden Ability available. Same with Deino. For the sake of curiosity I'd like to know what it'll be.

It's definitely one of the better colour combos. I'm mostly just thankful it's not the same ugly green colour poor Hydreigon was cursed with. The only Dark/Dragon line, an amazing hydra-design and it gets a shiny like that... Sigh.

(And thanks for the welcome, haha.)

Zoroark Cutie

The Illusion Fox Skyfarer
    Years
    Username: Pancham Cutie
    Nickname: Panchy
    Reason you love dark types: I love their designs, and I find them generally fun to use in battle.
    3 partner Pokemon: Zoroark, Pangoro, and Absol
    Answer any current or past topic: What is your all time favorite dark type and why?
    Zorua and Zoroark definitely. I think both of them are so cute and adorable, I love their fox designs and the red and black color scheme for them, I love that they are both tricksters, and I just love their Illusion ability.

Wicked3DS

Years
    Zorua

Never used it or Zoroark.

It's very cute, I like it.

It's pretty cool and very unique.

It could stand to look a tad more intimidating, as long as it stays cute :P

It's pretty cool, though I like red better so it's still not as good looking for me.

Other thoughts?

Zorua is a pretty cool Pokémon, but having never used it, I don't know a lot about it. I most vividly remember it being revealed when Black and White were first announced.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    Most definitely! I've used it in ORAS when I was doing a dark-type run though Hoenn.

It's cute and evolves into a badass Pokemon.

Yep! You can really trick people some times, and that's a load of fun.

I wouldn't, personally.

It's... beautiful. Blue. Nuff' said.

Dedenne1

Years

Liepard
    Liepard, The Cruel Pokemon, Stealthily, it sneaks up on its target, striking from behind before its victim has a chance to react. These Pokémon also vanish and appear unexpectedly. Many Trainers are drawn to their beautiful form and fur.

Possible Questions:
    Have you ever used it in-game or competitively?
    If you could change Liepardin anyway what would you change?
    What are your thoughts on its shiny form?
    Do you think it deserves a mega evolution.
    Other thoughts?

This week we are skipping the pokemon comparison which will be next week as long as nothing else changes. Anyways lets discuss Liepard!

Spoiler:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back