• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that this section is for questions regarding the forum itself - it is not for fan game-related questions. If you have a question about a fan game, ask in the appropriate thread.

• Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Database Error This Whole Day...

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    So, today, it was a free day (1st December ~ Romania's National Day) that I wanted to spend on PC.

Thing is, I kept getting database errors from, like, 9 AM till 7 PM. It's UTC +2 here, if anyone's wondering. :/

I was just curious why PC has been down this whole day.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    It wasn't just PC apparently. All vB run forums were down as well.

This may be because vBulletin was working on their own issues at the time, I couldn't say exactly, but it wasn't just PC that was down for so long.

Gun Gear Alpha

pink Is awsome
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2010
    Not All, Bleach exile froums were running fine.
    Might have been a sever problem.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Heh, if it was the server, then that was a pretty long time. When I got on this morning, a majority of the latest posts were roughly from 2:30 this morning (EST. Time) and I got on about after 9 AM.

I know Serebii's site was down as well, but I couldn't say for how long or if it was for the same reason. It may very well have been a server issue then.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Heh, if it was the server, then that was a pretty long time. When I got on this morning, a majority of the latest posts were roughly from 2:30 this morning (EST. Time) and I got on about after 9 AM.

I know Serebii's site was down as well, but I couldn't say for how long or if it was for the same reason. It may very well have been a server issue then.

Serebii's server being down at the same time as PC's really isn't anything to go deducing something from.

Guy

just a guy
    Years

Serebii's server being down at the same time as PC's really isn't anything to go deducing something from.
    Just using it as a reference, but that's true enough. I do know it wasn't just PC that was down during the time though or so I was told by another on MSN.

Going by everything that was said, my guess is PC probably just died from the server becoming too busy to handle the amount of activity that was going on at the time. ):

Unless, Rukario can enlighten us further and I'm missing something.

Massacre.

sky's on fire again
    Years
    Not all vBulletin boards, PHO and my own forum was running fine. But yeah, that was an unusually long downtime :(

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    Wow, all vB boards ? Dx

I don't really go on other forums, so I didn't quite notice.
    And no, for me, PC was down for almost a full 12 hours. I suppose you guys were sleeping, but this was my free day...

I'm not whining or anything. (: Just that it was weird, since we usually get announced by Rukario whenever the forum dies... from an update or something.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Wow, all vB boards ? Dx

I'm not whining or anything. (: Just that it was weird, since we usually get announced by Rukario whenever the forum dies... from an update or something.
    Nope, apparently it wasn't all vB boards.

I believe the downtime wasn't really expected to occur, so no warning was put up for the long period of time.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
    apparently one of the db tables (users) crashed some time after the backup that runs bi-weekly.. of course this is while I'm sleeping and didn't see it until I logged on this morning.

It was easy to fix, but I had to be here to fix it.

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
    I was wondering why PC was down all morning. It started working around 12pm for me. I thought it was just me but my friend was having the same problem too but PC isn't the only site that was down huh?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Actually for me sppf was up most of the time during PC's database failings - it only had lag problems for a short bit rather than a complete collapse. Forum problems between here and there were definitely separate.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    apparently one of the db tables (users) crashed some time after the backup that runs bi-weekly.. of course this is while I'm sleeping and didn't see it until I logged on this morning.

It was easy to fix, but I had to be here to fix it.

It'd be much less stressful on you and the rest of the members if there was more than one person fixing the things that always seem to glitch up @_@

Also I suggest a DB error thread be sticked. Too many threads have been made lately. Just accept it's a major problem and sticky it.

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
    Goodness, I am soo glad that I had issues to try and fix of my own, I hate it when I come here and PC is down and more angrier as the longer it is down!!

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
    Years
    I wouldn't be surprised that... yet another vBulletin Database Error occured. When I posted my thread on it... it was mainly because it was happening too often for me, which I do assume it's happening alot more than when I first joined PC.

I was kinda wondering if PC ever had alot of Database Errors before I joined PC? Even though I was not online at the time the latest forum crash occured, but I just wonder to myself... how come haven't I seen a single Database Error occur on the Serebii forums? :\

That still makes me wonder... all I've encountered on that forum is basically lagging, no Database Errors/Crashes whatsoever.

So it makes me think... will PC ever get a better dedicated server? And I wonder what type of server Serebii forums runs on? Because I think there might be a difference... either that... or something might have been done to prevent it.

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
    I was kinda wondering if PC ever had alot of Database Errors before I joined PC? Even though I was not online at the time the latest forum crash occured, but I just wonder to myself... how come haven't I seen a single Database Error occur on the Serebii forums? :\

That still makes me wonder... all I've encountered on that forum is basically lagging, no Database Errors/Crashes whatsoever.

So it makes me think... will PC ever get a better dedicated server? And I wonder what type of server Serebii forums runs on? Because I think there might be a difference... either that... or something might have been done to prevent it.
    Serebii also has little more than half the members that PC has, fewer features (as far as I know), and it looks a lot less graphic-heavy on first impression. I can't say how exactly that affects server strain, but I would imagine it doesn't lighten the load at all. You can't really compare forums like that without taking the content into account. :/

Anyway, I agree with Kura. I think a sticky would save time as well as keep people more informed. And thanks for taking care of the issue Rukario, I have no idea what you just said but all I know is that PC is up and running again. xD

Melody

Banned
    Years
    It'd be much less stressful on you and the rest of the members if there was more than one person fixing the things that always seem to glitch up @_@

Also I suggest a DB error thread be sticked. Too many threads have been made lately. Just accept it's a major problem and sticky it.

...I definitely agree with Kura here. A sticky for DBE related queries might cut the clutter of those threads whenever DBEs DO strike.

It also couldn't be extremely harmful to choose the most trustworthy administrator on here and give them limited access to the required tools to fix a DBE, if this can indeed be easily done without giving away the keys to the kingdom.. (Perhaps a login to the server itself with a little bash script they can call that gives options to 'fix the DB' with?) I dunno what the server runs particularly, other than it's a linux variant or something similar, but I don't think it would be too difficult to put together something that can invoke the proper tools with the proper permissions. ;)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Well you could just not make these threads - either way there's nothing to be gained for anyone except the same repeated discussions and half-baked solutions.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    Thing is.. people don't realize that maybe their solution hasn't been mentioned. :/ No one here really knows or understands the problem unless they've read through pages of an older thread. That's why they make new threads. It's a very valid problem and they're just trying to address it to the staff. No harm!

Back