• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • When you go anywhere, a laptop bag is best. :)

And in other news, I haven't downloaded iOS 8.2, as Joe alluded to awhile back. Usually I download iOS updates immediately, but I really don't want to go through bugs at the same time.

Years
  • When you go anywhere, a laptop bag is best. :)

And in other news, I haven't downloaded iOS 8.2, as Joe alluded to awhile back. Usually I download iOS updates immediately, but I really don't want to go through bugs at the same time.

Years
  • My backpack has a laptop pocket in the main pocket, and I used that frequently when transporting my laptop when I last had a laptop.

Since I recently got a laptop again, I may have to dig that bag out of storage and use it again when I travel places.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • My current laptop is way too clunky to be considered portable - it's one of those older thinkpad laptops that all office workers use :P Considering getting a slimmer, more up to date la[top for next year.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • So, after marveling at the awesomeness of my work laptop. I traded it in for a (much smaller) Elitebook 820.

As cool as it is to have around a mobile workstation. It's sucks having to lug around a 17 inch, 8 lbs laptop.

Which means I bough this new backpack for nothing.... oh well, not returning it, love it too much already.

Years
  • I tried editing some files on my phone earlier today and ended up bootlooping. I was afraid of losing all my data and stuff, but I managed to find a way around it by installing a custom recovery to replace the file that was goofed up and got back in. Well, at least I can now make phone ROM backups in case I goof again. :D
    Something you can't do on iOS, of course. >_>

Years
  • You can't edit files to mess things up to begin with. No need really to make an image of an iOS device as the built in backup works well enough.
    I was talking more about the second half of his quote pertaining to ROMs and backups though :P

It would be neat to have easy features like that on the iPhone so that you wouldn't have to "start over" (even though most things back up into iCloud) if your device got bricked.

Buoysel

Years
  • I was talking more about the second half of his quote pertaining to ROMs and backups though :P

It would be neat to have easy features like that on the iPhone so that you wouldn't have to "start over" (even though most things back up into iCloud) if your device got bricked.
    The only problem is that it would pretty much make the iPhone's built in backup useless. Sometimes it's nice to just set something and forget it. (Although, in my experience, iOS doesn't have quite as good of backup as Windows Phone. Too bad Windows phone doesn't have the apps I use the most.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • The only problem is that it would pretty much make the iPhone's built in backup useless

Android has a similar feature built in but I don't use it when installing a new ROM becuase the pay store will jiust install evey app you've downloaded on the device in the past even though you only used it shortly and then removed it. Wish they could impairment a way to choose what to install beforehand,

speaking ROMs, has anyone tried installing Android on their iPhone back when iDroid was a thing?

Buoysel

Years
  • Android has a similar feature built in but I don't use it when installing a new ROM because the pay store will jiust install evey app you've downloaded on the device in the past even though you only used it shortly and then removed it. Wish they could impairment a way to choose what to install beforehand

iirc, if you uninstall an application through the play store, it won't be installed on a new phone.

Years
  • One thing I do like about iOS app backups over Android is that they preserve your data. I remember when I got my new iPod Touch 5th gen last year, I noticed that all my Bejeweled numbers were still there from my 4th gen iPod Touch.

However, with Android, I need to start over every time, unless I myself backup the app data.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    App data backup is still quite hit-or-miss on Windows Phone, seeing as it relies on features that weren't present in Windows Phone 7 or 8.0. Best hope that it either is written for 8.1 support or does cloud saves anyway for games.

I'm not bothered by it, though. I don't play smartphone games, and almost everything is just an account login away. A small hassle, but not much.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • I think Zach is going for the high score with DCCs. Also, the title has been my Skype status for like... a month now? lol

I decided to search Xeon E7 CPUs on Amazon... and found a pentakaideca-core chip with a 37.5MB cache... this thing. It sure ain't sold by Lenovo :P

If I owned one of those things even if I never used it it would still be a treasure... a collectable, even. It's so powerful.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • I think Zach is going for the high score with DCCs. Also, the title has been my Skype status for like... a month now? lol

I decided to search Xeon E7 CPUs on Amazon... and found a pentakaideca-core chip with a 37.5MB cache... this thing. It sure ain't sold by Lenovo :P

If I owned one of those things even if I never used it it would still be a treasure... a collectable, even. It's so powerful.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • Laptop bags aren't the easiest thing for me, 17.2 inches, maybe a inch and a half thick (Protruding battery), though my stepdad gave me a shoulderbag/briefcase type thing that just barely fits it.

However, with Android, I need to start over every time, unless I myself backup the app data.
    I love Android, though that is one thing I hate about it, sometimes I hear it as it, but that never works, developers could do cloud saves (Google Play Services has the option), but they never do (instead Achievements are more important). And as I have Motorola devices mostly, the non-root alternatives like Helium don't work, I still have data on my Droid 4 from a year and a half ago that I can't do anything with at least on my phone. Backed up with Titanium backup, but Moto X isn't so much rootable, could do my nexus tablets though I guess.

Just got a new TV (Insignia 32"), I'm wondering if there is anyway I could use my bluetooth wireless headphones with it (Sol Republic Tracks Air)? Any cheap deals on Chromecast is good info too haha.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • ohhh a dev thread! yaaays

On the subject of laptop bags, I invested in a new one recently that's a snug fit for my new HP Pavilion laptop. Sure, the case features a rather garish image of a skull with flowers blooming all over it, but 'girly' stuff ain't quite my speed so the further I can push boundaries as it were, the better. Bless my family for not grilling my hide over the unusual choice, though. <3

On an unrelated note, I'm in a bit of a pickle; group projects are a thing again at college and this time I've been lumped into a group that I'm not too keen on. We're a three-person team and my problem is thus; member 1 I have never seen turn up for college a day in my life, at least not for practical labs where we'll be working together on meeting deliverables and member 2, whilst he is an amazing programmer, has as some friends have pointed out to me a tendency to be a bit of a one man army per se, tackling everything himself. He showed me some of the stuff he had prepared to present to our team tomorrow, and...He was already messing with custom guis, had 15+ classes on display in a detailed class diagram and talked about using fancy databases to manage the data.

In the case of the latter I really felt inferior, and it certainly knocked me back a bit when it came to finishing off my own preparations.

Essentially I'm involved in a team whom the other participating members fall at either end of the scale; a guy who never bothers to work and a guy who is so dedicated to the work, he wants to do it all his way.

How am I supposed to work with individuals like these?

Urghhhh.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Project management is hard. You pretty much have to work around problematic members in a group, but one should always try to make sure everyone can participate before singling anyone out.

I really should find more things to do these days. Maybe someone could throw me an app to code every day or week, and I'll try to do exactly that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back