• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Diamond / Pearl Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    What is considered a rare pokemon?

There is a difference between rare and valuable. As Twilight said, EV'd pokes, IV'd pokes, Shinies and Events are all considered valuable for the purposes of trading, as are legendaries with beneficial natures or pokemon bred for hard-to-achieve egg moves.

I saw that you cand find a Reaper Cloth (the item that evolves Dusclops) in the Turnback Cave. Where is it in there?

You have to perform the puzzle to find giratina in no more than 3 rooms. If you've already done it then you'll either need to obtain one over wifi or purchase it on PBR for 12,000 coupons and transfer it over by mystery gift.

What nature would I want a drifloom to be to have a good drifblim?

It depends on what you want to do with it. Timid or calm would be most beneficial for baton-passing, whereas modest and timid are both viable for a sweeping variant. However sub-passing is what drifblim excels at, and as such calm is the best option.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • chubb-o-wub
    Alternatively, you can find the item on route 229. Head east and you will need Cut.

MartinNFLFalcon
    Calm, Timid, or Modest are good natures. For movesets and EV spreads, check here. If you have other questions about competitive pokemon, check out this thread.

Zoaea

Critter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2009
    IV's

I've been wondering, and searching... Can you acuratly determine a pokemons IV's when they are low level or just hatched? I've been trying some of the calculators but they can only give a broad estimations.

Also, if there isnt a way, how do u determine it with out giving a pokemon alot of time and effort. (ie, with out lving it to 100)

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Zoaea
    If you have wifi, put the weak pokemon in your party and do a level 100 battle. You can request one here. It will automatically set the pokemon to level 100 so check its stats with an IV calculator. This is the most accurate way.

If you do not have wifi, use the daycare or rare candy until it's about level 15-20. Then put its stats for better results. After you check, reset the game to keep your rare candy.

Mimikyu402

Flareon Master
    Years
  • There is a difference between rare and valuable. As Twilight said, EV'd pokes, IV'd pokes, Shinies and Events are all considered valuable for the purposes of trading, as are legendaries with beneficial natures or pokemon bred for hard-to-achieve egg moves.

You have to perform the puzzle to find giratina in no more than 3 rooms. If you've already done it then you'll either need to obtain one over wifi or purchase it on PBR for 12,000 coupons and transfer it over by mystery gift.

It depends on what you want to do with it. Timid or calm would be most beneficial for baton-passing, whereas modest and timid are both viable for a sweeping variant. However sub-passing is what drifblim excels at, and as such calm is the best option.

You can find a reaper cloth in the area north of the resort area

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Should I keep this pikachu?

Pikachu level 18 (UT)
    Jolly Nature
    Tail Whip
    Thunder Wave
    Quick Attack
    Double Team
    31/30/16/31/23/12

Its decent IMO, I like the fact that it has perfect IVs in HP and SpeAtt. Its of a decent nature too.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2009
    err...
    i have a question...
    i just breed a pokemon, and a friend told me to check it's IVs.
    My Iv program told me to enter the EP of the pokemon.
    What is EP and how can I check it??

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    err...
    i have a question...

EPs are effort points, more commonly called EVs. If you're pokemon is newly hatched and has never battled, then the EP numbers will all be 0.

Years
  • Try another 6,012 times =D
    Fun statistic: You have a 50/50 chance of finding a shiny within 5678 resets. It could possibly take much, much longer than this, however.

err...
    i have a question...
    Also you should note that IV calculation is extremely inaccurate for low levels. It's best done at L100, though you can get by with lower levels if you have lots of Rare Candies and check the results across multiple different levels.

EVs are very important to know about if you're looking for good stats. They can have twice the impact as IVs on some of your Pokémon's stats. I'd suggest studying up on them.

agurcsik

Wee Warios like Strawberries
    Years
  • You need a Light Ball. The Pickachu is the Trophy garden have them, there's a 5% chance of them having them though. If you have a PKMN that knows Covet, you can use a PKMN with Static to increase your encounter rate. Then switch to the one that knows COvet and use that to try to steal it from them. That's what I did.

What kind of Pokemon can learn covet if you don't have a Nat Dex in Pearl, and where can I find it.

I lost my old file, it had a Bannete with Frisk too. T_T

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • What kind of Pokemon can learn covet if you don't have a Nat Dex in Pearl, and where can I find it.
    None of the Pokemon can. Only Snorlax, Zigzagoon, Linoone, Slakoth, Vigoroth, Slaking, Skitty, Illumise, Cyndaquil, Quilava, Typhlosion, Poochyena, and Mightyena can. None of them are obtainable without the National Dex without trading.

The moves Trick and Thief are good alternatives. Trick is learned by a lot of psychic Pokemon while Thief is a commonly learned TM move.

agurcsik

Wee Warios like Strawberries
    Years
  • If I use Thief on in a Trainer battle against an NPC and my PKMN isn't holding anything, do I get to keep the item?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back