• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Did Anyone Else Just Not Like This Game At All?

Indifferent

So they say...
Years
  • I wouldn't go as far as saying I don't like them at all, but I can definitely say they're my least favorite games in the series. The game had a ridiculously short life for me compared to the previous games as I stopped playing it last December and haven't really touched it much since. I can't say much about the flaws that hasn't already been said but the biggest turn offs for me is the lame post game and story(It might just be the characters that make the story lame but idk).

Years
  • I don't feel as bothered by the lack of a Battle Frontier, to be honest. I think I read something about how these would take a lot of time to put in the game, but as mentioned above they'd likely save that for whatever the next game for this region will be, or ORAS for that matter. Although I will agree that the characters weren't too exciting as I think I mentioned last page.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    I don't feel as bothered by the lack of a Battle Frontier, to be honest. I think I read something about how these would take a lot of time to put in the game, but as mentioned above they'd likely save that for whatever the next game for this region will be, or ORAS for that matter. Although I will agree that the characters weren't too exciting as I think I mentioned last page.
    Yes, you see a lot of people complaining about the post-game but the post-game is heavily relied on competitive which is why there are so many improvements to the games this generation in relation to getting good competitive Pokémon like all the breeding improvements.

It's lacking in all the right places, and Mega Evolution makes playing online a nightmare for me.
    I just wanna say that Mega Evolution is actually a great addition as it brings a fresh mechanic to the otherwise mostly unchanged battle formula. And if you think Mega-Evolved Pokés are overpowered, you may be forgetting that you can Mega Evolve too, and that a trainer can only Mega Evolve one Pokémon per battle. Also, while they may gain stats while Mega-Evolved, most Pokémon don't gain many Defensive stats, and even if they do, tanks are a play-style that are just part of the game. Plus, most Mega-Evolved are easily taken care of by an offensive Pokémon using a super-effective as many have typings that are weak to common types. I don't like Mega Mawile though :(.

tnfsf11

I did enjoy the game, but certainly not as much as previous ones.
    Considering that I've jumped from playing gen 2 & 3 ROMs to playing Y on a 3DS I felt that it was indeed extremely easy, reasons starting with trainers having a quota of 3 per team to only 3 Megas battled in the entire game.
    But I believe it was meant to be that way so the genwunners are invited to play a game that is as simple as the first games, which I hate honestly.

I pretty much agree with all of your points, but then again someone once told me that these are the first games on a new console, & like their past counterparts, are doomed to suck. OR/AS should be much better than X/Y & hopefully Z tops them both, so I say we wait & see how those will turn out...

I would love to rate each aspect of the game but I kinda did that already in the Critique Thread so I'm just gonna link to it.

Last edited:

machupichu18

I like Cereal!
    Years
  • Time to throw my two cents in as well.

Too easy - I've talked about this elsewhere on the forum, but the game is way too easy. And I don't mean the battles. Part of the fun I have in Pokemon games is the puzzle aspect. While the puzzles are never going to be over-the-top in difficulty they still managed to get me to stop and think for a little while most of the time. In this game the puzzles were almost non-existent. The Gyms were almost completely devoid of them, saving Olympia and Wulfric's gyms (And even then, Wulfric's was too blatant.) I almost question whether they considered that the player could move diagonally for the ice puzzles.

Too few events - I think that Mark may be referring to in-game events that you can take advantage of throughout the week. Like how you could find Lapras in G/S/C HG/SS on a couple days of the week or the Weekday Siblings. Stuff that makes playing the game feel more lively and different. Just to put the thought out there.

Lacking in post-game content - I would argue that most first installments have this problem. I would tend to side with Mark on this but also note that it's to be expected. There is a fairly nice storyline to participate in and the Friend Safari and Battle Maison are pretty nice features.

Boring plot / not menacing bad guys -I'm in 100% agreement that the plotline is horrible. Team Flare's end-goal may be horrifying. But the team itself is not menacing. Not even Lysandre. I honestly don't think they had a good cohesive writing team for this game because Team Flare seems terribly inconsistent from scenario to scenario. Even Lysandre's not very consistent or capable as a leader, as indicated by Xerosic's blatant disobedience.

There was one place where you HAD to slide diagonally, and that was in frost cavern, to get the frost breath TM but other than that, yeah, also...

Too Easy: Try turning off the EXP share one playthrough, also at least you don't have to grind

Too Few Events: I have to agree with that one.

Laking in Post Game Content: I am sotta 50/50 on that one, while there not much to do when you finish the game offline, they did flesh out that online multiplayer perfectly, and that's what they were probably trying to achieve endgame wise, where you are levelling up your pokemon to rein over the wifi scheme, also Black/White Diamond/Pearl and Ruby/Sapphire all shared the same fate, also this game got me into the competitive battling scene

Boring Plot/Not Menacing Bad Guys: The plot was boring, full stop. However the not menacing bad guys I would have to disagree with you, they were going for a Team Plasma, but they're not approach, they wanted to stop all wars/fighting in the world, kinda like how Team Plasma wanted to Liberate pokemon, they were fighting for right reasons, kinda like Team Plasma, in black and white was Team Plasma menacing? But Black and White Exeggcuted (PUNS!) it better than X/Y, and I have to admit, I did get a little Teary eyed in the end

Years
  • Naww, I LOVE these games, they are wayy up there on my favorite pokemon game list! People complain about the post-game and I do agree to a point, but I'm still having a lot of fun playing it even a year after it has came out so the post-game cant be that badXD

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2014
    I thought it was very lackluster. I was very disappointed by it, and to be honest, all I was really impressed by was Amie (which gets boring eventually). The Pokedex, plot, characters, and everything else just don't really speak to me. But maybe that's because I'm getting older?

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2016
    Honestly, I liked the game. I like Amie and some of the new pokemon. But of course, some of the mega evolutions seem very...bad. Seemed too easy as well, why hasn't Nintendo added difficulty modes yet?

The GTS hasn't improved any better. Super frustrating. Especially when you're looking for something simple and everyone wants legendaries for it. Hope it's improved in ORAS.

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2017
    Didn't much care for it. I only play it when I'm on road trips pretty much. I'd rather be playing Skyrim or Company of Heroes 2 on my PC. GTA V when that gets released will probably take up most of my gaming time.

Plot, story, characters, all boring, not interesting, the gym leaders were all a freakin joke especially with that experience share mechanism that makes all your poke'mon level up really fast, oh and I beat the game in like what, 40 hours? For $1 an hour per actual game time, not counting breeding, no it pretty much convinced me to only buy Poke'mon games for the WiFi battling aspect and perhaps breeding and trading with other breeders.

Also the Poke'mon Amie, to me, feels like a chore, just to get my Poke'mon to score more critical hits. If I want to spend quality time with something, I pull out my hamster and play with him and feed him treats, not try to please some ingame electronic pixel art thats called a "Poke'mon"

As far as games that fill my RPG need, Modded to hell Skyrim (I've got like 70 mods for my Skyrim so it's not even the same game anymore for what comes with XBox and such) really fills that role nicely.

Last edited:

Controversy

Drink The Kool-Aid
    Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2015
    Meh. I haven't really enjoyed a Pokemon plot line since Diamond and Pearl. Everything after just hasn't seemed to click with me and just seems very poorly written. Especially B&W2 which was just appalling imo, but that's irrelevant to this thread.

The difficulty of X and Y was an issue. But I think that was more down to the inclusion of the exp all rather than anything else. I certainly wouldn't want them to take it away in future games but I do hope they at least try to increase the difficulty a little. This situation sort of feels like a double edged sword to me, in that I probably won't be content regardless of what they do.

I don't really care about lack of events or all the filler characters and things along that nature since it's nothing new to the series / those of us who live outside Japan.

On the plus side. I loved the new graphics. I loved the new Pokemon (probably one of my favourite generations of new Pokemon) and I loved the ability to customise, albeit the lacklustre options for males.

So yeah, it's certainly not my favourite Pokemon game but it's an improvement over fifth generation at least which is all I can ask for tbh

Years
  • It was playable enough. And I knew what I was letting myself in for before buying it. I am tired of the same gameplay again and again though... the main series could do well to take a nod from it's spin-off series Pokémon Rumble! Hopefully the newly announced Pokken will mark the start of a fresh new direction in the franchise (ya never know!)

Years
  • I thought the gay guys that dressed in red and thought the world should be beautiful was kinda weird, but other then that it was much better then BW and BW2 they did a great job on the 3D a soooo much better on the actual 6th gen pokemon, i thought BW gen did a terrible job on most of their pokemon, a garbage bag, a giant boar/pig inbred, and many others almost made me quit pokemon, they were kinda getting too lame and names were kinda falling to the worst too. Ex: Garbador, the garbage bag pokemon, and Emboar: the boar pokemon, maractus: the cactus pokemon. They could also do better with the story lines and how big the maps and routes are. But once again the main story was better then BW.

Light Yagami

Compulsive Battler#1
    Years
  • Also the Poke'mon Amie, to me, feels like a chore, just to get my Poke'mon to score more critical hits. If I want to spend quality time with something, I pull out my hamster and play with him and feed him treats, not try to please some ingame electronic pixel art thats called a "Poke'mon"

I don't know, Amie really adds duality to breeding your pokes. Actually taking them out the ball and interacting is sweet; being rewarded for it is even sweeter. I had to get two stars before my Eevee evolved into Sylveon, which I appreciated because previous Gens kind of left me hanging unless I went to see some NPC.

Breeding, the Maison, and online are nice but I do think I'd trade up some Lumiose city data for a Frontier establishment.

I just bought Y to replay with some breeded pokes from X. I have to say it is quite refreshing but I know I'll be sad to see endgame :(

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
    Years
  • They made it easier; a step back from Platinum, BW and BW2. Where some mechanics were fixed (breeding, anyone?), others were shockingly simplified (Masuda shinies are now the easiest to obtain since GSC).

This is Gifts : The Game and NPC Advice: The Movie, but it's enjoyable nonetheless. I see it as a breather from the harder games of years' past. Luckily, a remake of Ruby/Sapphire will put a stop to easy Pokemon unless there's a Challenge Mode and Normal Mode added.

I will say this is the perfect game for casual play, and less of Bike Simulator/Breeding Wars. They gave an impressive selection of Pokemon, a lot of them fan-favorites and genwun. If I were to do a Challenge right now, I'd lean toward XY because it's easy but still pretty fun. And I happen to like the 3D mechanics.

Looking at the metagame, I'm awfully glad Weather Wars has been reduced. Kyogre and Politoed are still common sights but not like Gen V.

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2016
    I thought the gay guys that dressed in red and thought the world should be beautiful was kinda weird, but other then that it was much better then BW and BW2 they did a great job on the 3D a soooo much better on the actual 6th gen pokemon, i thought BW gen did a terrible job on most of their pokemon, a garbage bag, a giant boar/pig inbred, and many others almost made me quit pokemon, they were kinda getting too lame and names were kinda falling to the worst too. Ex: Garbador, the garbage bag pokemon, and Emboar: the boar pokemon, maractus: the cactus pokemon. They could also do better with the story lines and how big the maps and routes are. But once again the main story was better then BW.

Uhm...the other gens had bad designs too. Don't just single out the newer games. Seel (Such innovative naming!), Voltorb (An 'inanimate' object), Snubbull, Luvdisc, Glalie, Mr. Mime(Just no), Jynx, Lickilicky, Rhyperior, Probopass. I actually liked some of the Unova and Kalos pokemon.

But I do agree with the BW graphics being better, but the screen scrolling usually made me dizzy XD I didn't miss the slow-loading-zooming thingy when entering a building that's for sure. But I do miss the animated sprites, which were quirky and cute. They look better than the 3d pokemon models just standing in one place breathing creepily. The animated sprites did cute things once in a while. 3d pokes: *slowly undulates for eternity* If you tap on your pokemon on the summaries, they do neat little things. Why not add those in battle to break the monotony? 3d models also made some pokemon look crappy. Poor Marshtomp is fat now ;^; The only time I'd approve of 3d pokes is in Amie and the summary screens.

Love Amie though. Now I can actually interact with my favorite pokemon.
    Pokefollowers NEED to come back. Especially in 3d. Why remove it in the first place Nintendo? A lot of people liked it.

Did I forget to mention the GTS?

Super training is a faster, better way to ev train. But...it's kinda repetitive. All of the stat super trainings are the same thing...shooting a ball into a goal. Why not make Def challenges blocking balls from landing out of your range? Like a goalie? Speed challenges a smaller time limit or a much faster pokemon that actually moves around the screen? All of the challenges only really need a massive attack stat to beat. Dragalge and Magnezone are literally impossible. Your Sp def and Sp Atk levels don't even make a difference.

Really hate how all the cool competitive moves are stuck in Bw2 though. Why can't I transfer baaaaccckk.

There needs to be difficulty modes to satisfy all the kids, casuals, and people seeking a challenge. Fire Emblem has 'em :I

Other than that, great game. Next one should be better since they're recycling a great gem.

Years
  • Uhm...the other gens had bad designs too. Don't just single out the newer games. Seel (Such innovative naming!), Voltorb (An 'inanimate' object), Snubbull, Luvdisc, Glalie, Mr. Mime(Just no), Jynx, Lickilicky, Rhyperior, Probopass. I actually liked some of the Unova and Kalos pokemon.

But I do agree with the BW graphics being better, but the screen scrolling usually made me dizzy XD I didn't miss the slow-loading-zooming thingy when entering a building that's for sure. But I do miss the animated sprites, which were quirky and cute. They look better than the 3d pokemon models just standing in one place breathing creepily. The animated sprites did cute things once in a while. 3d pokes: *slowly undulates for eternity* If you tap on your pokemon on the summaries, they do neat little things. Why not add those in battle to break the monotony? 3d models also made some pokemon look crappy. Poor Marshtomp is fat now ;^; The only time I'd approve of 3d pokes is in Amie and the summary screens.

Love Amie though. Now I can actually interact with my favorite pokemon.
    Pokefollowers NEED to come back. Especially in 3d. Why remove it in the first place Nintendo? A lot of people liked it.

Super training is a faster, better way to ev train. But...it's kinda repetitive. All of the stat super trainings are the same thing...shooting a ball into a goal. Why not make Def challenges blocking balls from landing out of your range? Like a goalie? Speed challenges a smaller time limit or a much faster pokemon that actually moves around the screen? All of the challenges only really need a massive attack stat to beat. Dragalge and Magnezone are literally impossible. Your Sp def and Sp Atk levels don't even make a difference.

Really hate how all the cool competitive moves are stuck in Bw2 though. Why can't I transfer baaaaccckk.

There needs to be difficulty modes to satisfy all the kids, casuals, and people seeking a challenge. Fire Emblem has 'em :I

Other than that, great game. Next one should be better since they're recycling a great gem.

None as lame as a garbage bag pokemon. Gen 5 lost me because they made way more dumb pokemon. Besides that the story line for BW was super short. I single out BW because it had a great story but was by far the worst generation, pokemon, graphics, gameplay was slow and laggy, exp gain was terrible. And i think most people would agree on that fact that EXP grinding on Audino was a hassle. I could go on and on all day about how bad BW was. XY is when it all got better now i agree there is a bit of lag but hardly noticable and only happens when 3d is enabled. The circle pad made it so much easier to turn and there is so much more to do post game. I think XY was a great step up from BW amd hopfully ORAS will be even better. Ive played since red and blue first came out so its typical for those who start in later gens to not critique things the right way.

peterd1994

pokemonfanforever
    Years
  • I still need to play this game as I've just ordered my copy of the game should be getting it today or in a couple of days I've been told it was a good game with all new stuff in it but tbh I'd always like 3rd gen better then any other gen can't wait to try X out :)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    None as lame as a garbage bag pokemon. Gen 5 lost me because they made way more dumb pokemon. Besides that the story line for BW was super short. I single out BW because it had a great story but was by far the worst generation, pokemon, graphics, gameplay was slow and laggy, exp gain was terrible. And i think most people would agree on that fact that EXP grinding on Audino was a hassle. I could go on and on all day about how bad BW was. XY is when it all got better now i agree there is a bit of lag but hardly noticable and only happens when 3d is enabled. The circle pad made it so much easier to turn and there is so much more to do post game. I think XY was a great step up from BW amd hopfully ORAS will be even better. Ive played since red and blue first came out so its typical for those who start in later gens to not critique things the right way.
    .....Strangely enough, I also started with Red/Blue/Yellow back in the day, but I thought that Gen 5 as a whole was better than X/Y, and I'm not super excited for ORAS like the rest of the forum seems to be. Gen 5's actually my favorite generation.

Years
  • Sorry to get off-topic from this thread but I feel this was necessary to be said.

None as lame as a garbage bag pokemon. Gen 5 lost me because they made way more dumb pokemon. Besides that the story line for BW was super short. I single out BW because it had a great story but was by far the worst generation, pokemon, graphics, gameplay was slow and laggy, exp gain was terrible.

If you're talking about the main adventure, I will admit it's not the longest Pokémon game on its own, but you don't know what these Pokémon are actually based off of, do you? Garbodor is meant to be a reference to the waste and trash that plague today's garbage cans (something of that degree). And the graphics I found to be a step up from DPPt, and there were the animated sprites that were even more lively for the battles.

And i think most people would agree on that fact that EXP grinding on Audino was a hassle.

Not as much of a hassle as training off of such low level Pokémon in Johto and Hoenn, and the Lucky Egg certainly made it even better.

I could go on and on all day about how bad BW was.

Bring it on.

XY is when it all got better now i agree there is a bit of lag but hardly noticable and only happens when 3d is enabled.

For that matter, the 3D in XY serves no purpose whatsoever. As Mark (dude who made this thread) said on the first page, it felt pointless to include it when it wasn't even optimized on the 3DS itself.

The circle pad made it so much easier to turn and there is so much more to do post game.

Not really, the breeding mechanics were made a lot better and there's the Battle Maison which is indeed a big upgrade from the Battle Subway, but other than that it's not all that much better. At least BW had something that continues the story.

I think XY was a great step up from BW amd hopfully ORAS will be even better. Ive played since red and blue first came out so its typical for those who start in later gens to not critique things the right way.

I've been playing since Gen I, so I know what i'm talking about when I say these things. Gen V is my favorite generation too, so I can definitely critique properly.

Back