• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Did you ditch your starter?

Years
  • I just never seem to ever ditch my starter, except in my Platinum, mainly because I hate the starters in those games. Besides that, never.

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2011
    I never even consider it, even if they aren't the best. And Toshiro, i love the platinum starters! they all have cool typing and decent stats.

Years
  • I didnt ditch mine, though in all generations (except for I and II), i put them up in a PC box permanently..

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • I always kept my starter Pokemon. Starters were always really powerful, so I never ditched them. The only time I ever ditched one was Typhlosion in HG. It wasn't learning anything very good, and it was the anchor of the team I was using, so I switched it for something better.

Years
  • I actually ditched mine in HG, Feraligatr. After I got Lapras and raised it up, I thought that Lapras would be the ideal water type to use in Kanto, and it is.

bassforce288

Aleister Manson Crowley
    Years
    • LA
    • Seen Jun 21, 2017
    i ditch my starters depending on who they are. Typhlosion and Feraligatr I wouldn't ditch but Meganium I would. In DPPt I wouldn't ditch any. I think DPPt had the best starters haha
    after I beat the E4 and get into EV training that's when I ditch but it takes a long time.

Years
  • I know this is strictly 4th gen, but I have never and will never ditch the starters, you create some sort of a bond with them, and they're usually the strongest on your team.

Frisky Arcanine

Jumpluff Hugger
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2011
    I usually do ditch them - the only exceptions were in gen 1 and 2 (I actually like all those starters, so I don't mind keeping 'em.. except perhaps venusaur and meganium for whatever reason). Gen 3 was iffy.. I like the grass and water starter, but I was getting really bored of keeping the starters at that point. In gen 4 and 5, I barely used any of them D:

Samurott wasn't even that great in my White playthrough, to be honest

Dr.Kotov

& the symptoms.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2012
    The only time I ditched my starter Pokemon was In Diamond, when I picked Piplup. Never really liked Empoleon, and there were better options. I have this thing for elegant-looking Pokemon with a sprite that pleases me aesthetically. And the fat penguin just didn't do it for me.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • No, I never ditch my starters. in fact, I actually obtain starters fomr others versions of the game and trade them over into one. I like have a 'perfect' set as you may call it.

Years
  • Pokemon White:
    Snivy FAILED SO HARD
    ditched the kid at like lvl 40 around the 5th-6th gym leader iir
    Was hard after that, but It was pretty much smooth sailing for tourneys after i beat the game Q_Q
    hardest game i ever played tbh cuz i just dumped my entire party caught new guys and trained them up.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • Noo I kept my Turtwig / Piplup in my P/Pt teams. And I kept my Chikorita / Cyndaquil in my HG/SS teams.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Ditched Infernape after the 5th gym or so. The DPPt starters all look... menacing.
    I only kept Feraligatr for the sake of a HM Slave in HgSS

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Unless its a water type, i usually ditch him after the eighth gym. I ditched typhlosion and torterra. I choose them every time i playthrough.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Not on my first playthroughs and only if say I'm doing a challenge (say a monotype run on HGSS) or just really want to try different Pokemon than the starters and need to remove something to make it fit in the team.

Oh The Places You'll Go.

Whatever will be, will be.
    Years
  • My starter is usually my "strongest" pokemon on the team. Of course I keep them throughout the entire game, including after the credits. The starter is essential~

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2012
    No way, i never ditch my starter! Every pokemon game i've played, i always kept my starter. They usually end up being one of the strongest in my team until i start training another pokemon later in the game.

Back