• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen DId You Even Finish The Game?

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
  • I'm just curious about how some people felt ORAS "lived up" to all the hype in mid-2014.

I myself was very excited to see that there was going to be a re-release of RS. I never particularly liked RS, but I did like the mechanics it introduced as well as a handful of the Pokemon.

However, I actually never finished RSE. I would get to Fortree Town, and the game would just "die" for me. I'm currently stuck there since December 2014 in ORAS and cannot get motivated to finish the game.

I thought the graphics would have made it a lot easier to get into the game. I thought, given that I enjoyed the premiss (being in Geography, the environmental ambitions from both sides really drew me in), that I'd actually be able to finish it this time. Especially with my completed DEX in X&Y and all the new Pokémon choices available Gen IV-VI, I really, really though that I'd enjoy the remake whereas I never finished the original.

Did ORAS live up to your expectations? Or did the reality fall short?

For people who played RSE and didn't like it, did you get that same sentiment with ORAS, or did you fall in love with the remakes (thereby changing your opinion about RSE altogether)?

If you didn't play RSE, did you enjoy ORAS and what it had to offer?

I'm more interested in seeing how many people played RSE and still didn't fall in love with ORAS, especially if it's a chore to finish the game, as is my case. I tried really hard to actually like it. I thought it would be easy given, again, the updated graphics, the appreciation for the premiss, the WiFi trading capabilities, the double daycares... I love contests and secret forts, and May's sprite is so adorable, but I don't know. Something was missing. Either that, or I've grown too old now and the magic is gone. Kinda like Christmas :(

For the record, I don't find it "too easy". The post-game legendaries, well, I'll probably never get there. The "drive" to play just disappears, and I'm wondering if it's happened to anyone else in ORAS.

It'd be great to see that ORAS changed a lot of other people's perspective on RSE, though. Alas, this was not my experience.

Last edited:

Crady

It ain't even bright in here
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2016
    I'm not demotivated or anything (nor does it bore me) I just defeated wallace, After pausing for like 2-3 weeks lol.

Planning to finish the game by this month.

Years
  • I didn't really have "expectations" entering the games (except the Battle Frontier, but it's not just me in that boat). When I first played Omega Ruby, I got through it very quickly, and I only just finished my second playthrough, with Alpha Sapphire, last Friday. But I can understand what there was that people didn't like here.

Years
  • Well for me Ruby and Sapphire were my favorite. I loved the layout, the gen 3 pokemon, and story just everything. That was my childhood. In the old sapphire game I had over 600 hours logged from beating the game and completing my pokedex. I loved it so much. I'm sad my sapphire game was stolen along with my old ds lite but at least they finally remade gen 3. I been waiting all these years for remakes and now I can finally play them again <3

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I had absolutely zero expectations, because as Star Wars Episode 1 showed the world, the creators of anything and everything don't have psychic abilities and cannot read every fan's mind in the world and make their product exactly like how the hundreds of millions of fans think it should have been made! ;-)

Now, Ruby and Sapphire were my very first pokemon games ever so because of that I loved them, everything about Pokemon I learned from Ruby and Sapphire, and I never played gen 4 or 5 so my entire experience with pokemon has been RSE, then XY, then Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby and because of that ORAS simply blew me out of the water. It was like a decade long wait for the real "third version" sequel to Ruby and Sapphire and there's not a single thing I dilike about it. I haven't event finished X and Y yet (999:59 hours and I only just got to the second gym because in that game I LOVE the breeding and berry growing that I literally spent all my time on that) but ORAS I did make sure I finished. The cut scenes really made it way more enjoyable than the original, and everything was so much bigger and more immersive that I just couldn't put it down.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    I finished the game a week after starting it, so as far as motivation goes i had more than enough :P. As for expectations, i didn't really have any for it to meet. RSE never really made an impact on me when i was younger because i started with FRLG. I can see how those who played the originals in their prime may or may not have liked the Revamp enough to keep playing, but the only problem i had was the fact that grandma Winstrate didn't say she was going to smack me like in the past xD

Last edited:

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • RSE probably died for you around Fortree because it seemed like there was little to do with so much in-between the gyms. And I mean, there wasn't even that much - you had Team Magma/Aqua to battle at the Weather Institute and then a rival match thereafter to keep you busy. But then again, the route did feel a little stale and... idk, I thought it was always fun, and 5-7 badges is usually the most exciting point in the game. I did finish ORAS, though, and was more pleased than ever with the conclusion of Magma/Aqua.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Very few games ever live up to the pre-release hype.

I've cleared the main story and the Delta Episode if that's what counts for completing the game. Spent a lot of time breeding, catching legendaries, and doing the Battle Maison. Will probably keep playing for quite some time.

I suppose I was expecting just a little bit more out of ORAS, but it's a big improvement over the originals imo.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
  • RSE probably died for you around Fortree because it seemed like there was little to do with so much in-between the gyms. And I mean, there wasn't even that much - you had Team Magma/Aqua to battle at the Weather Institute and then a rival match thereafter to keep you busy. But then again, the route did feel a little stale and... idk, I thought it was always fun, and 5-7 badges is usually the most exciting point in the game. I did finish ORAS, though, and was more pleased than ever with the conclusion of Magma/Aqua.

That probably makes sense. The route from Mauville to Fortree is long, and then even after Fortree there's just so much space. It's not even the water. It's the space and the lack of stimulation.

I see my boyfriend (he's on his third playthrough) using Dive and getting to Groundon, Deoxys, etc. and it looks really interesting, but it feels like such a chore to push past all that emptiness to get to that point. And if I did, there'd be no replay value, since I'd be too stingy to redo the game only to get stuck at Fortree again.

I had a 'bout in X&Y where I stopped playing for about six months. Most recently, about three months due to exams, holidays, etc. but the first 'bout was due to boredom. I'm trying to do another playthrough in Y, but it's taking a while - not as bad as ORAS, though, where even the first playthrough is a chore for me.

I'm making sure to pickup all the WiFi and code events, though :pink_boogie: I'm'a try to push through it over the reading week. Maybe there's a certain "turning point" later on that makes up for the emptiness I'm experiencing right now. Everything up to Flannery was super awesome, but then, as I mentioned before, the game just goes ploof and straight-lines.

TCB

Tranquilo.
    Years
  • The only main expectation I had before ORAS's release was the return of the Battle Froniter. That didn't happen, but seeing as this was a remake of a pair of games that were SEVERELY outdated compared to its successors I been dying to see what GF could do to it. For the most part they succeeded; the Hoenn region is more vibrant and I can remember it being in the original games and really empathized the 'abundance of nature' motif it had going. It didn't feel like I was trudging through the game compared
    to RSE.
    As for beating the game; I did so for my original copies of Sapphire and Emerald (in the latter I gotten all the Silver Prints from the Frontier and haven't gotten farther since) and completed the maingame of AS in a week.

To be honest though, which visually the region looks great, it really became a victim of itself due to its mapping; that's what X&Y did better that your movement felt so in place of the world because of the 8 way movement (yeah you were on roller-skates but still). In ORAS it sometimes feels...empty, ESPECIALLY on the route towards Meteor Falls.

I'll go out on limb and say HeartGold and SoulSilver were the only games in the series that REALLY lived up to my expectations and then some.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I was hyped for about a week, then I took a long break. I definitely expected myself to be way more engaged than I was at the time of the release and afterwards. I started playing again a few days ago and I'm actually really into it now, there's still plenty to do and I haven't even started with Omega Ruby yet.

Last edited:

Guest123123

I finished the main game + Delta Episode in 8 days. It not only lived up to the hype for me, it exceeded expectations. There were only 2 things I was disappointed by:
    1) Battle Maison instead of Battle Frontier
    2) The non-Hoenn legendary themes weren't updated

The first of those took me a while to get over, but it didn't ruin the game for me at all. Hoenn is my favorite region to explore, because of the environmental diversity and so many optional areas. I loved the Sea Mauville backstory, Mauville City's new look, seeing everything in 3D, E4 rematches with mega evolutions, unique personalities for Aqua/Magma leaders and admins (their dialogue was interchangeable in the originals), and the updated soundtrack.

Reactions: TCB
    Years
  • I always really liked the areas around Fortree, but I can see why other people wouldn't since as far as actual things happening there's a whole lot of nothing...and Route 120 has that one trainer with the lone Milotic. That battle was more frustrating than it really should have been and it nearly killed my motivation to play.

As for the game itself, I was disappointed by the lack of certain things that could have made the games so much better (improved Safari Zone, Gym Leader rematches, Battle Frontier even though I've personally always hated those, ESPECIALLY Emeralds), but aside from those things OR/AS met my expectations and have managed to take X/Y's spots as my third favorites in the series (behind HG/SS and B2/W2). I never beat the Pokemon League in the originals because I was a dumb kid who thought spamming Hyper Beam was the answer to everything even though it didn't work, and it became harder for me to get into them once I moved on to the other games so I really wanted a more up to date version. I haven't been playing recently, though, but that's more a combination of burnout after playing it all the time from release until around Christmas and there being so many other games I want to play coming out. I'll probably get back into it closer to summer or they announce the inevitable new Pokemon game coming later this year.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    I liked it, I dont play often asa i have other things to do but I liked it :)

Years
  • I managed to finish the main story in Alpha Sapphire in 21 days from starting it, which has been slower than previous playthroughs I've done lately but that may have been because I was busy with other stuff.

Still, it was great to see the first Pokemon games I ever played finally get the remake they deserved, and I was feeling all the memories as I was playing.

Nakala Pri

Yeah, I finished it! =D Haven't got into the Delta Episode yet, but I did ace the Elite and totally smack Flannery's hot cross buns. >:p

I wasn't actually THAT excited for ORAS, but it was a really amazing game! I mean, I wish contests were better (the 3ds camera is a NIGHTMARE) and making Pokeblocks wasn't automatic but it was still good! Would have been better if there was something fun to do between leveling up and challenging Gymmies. Whatever! It ruled! They made an awesome remake! =D They should be proud! 1000% better then X/Y. XD

atomtanned

Delinquent
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2022
    I haven't finished it yet, but it takes me a long time to play through games. I no longer have the time to focus on one game and finish it quickly. When I do get time to play games, I don't always feel like opening Pokémon, especially since some parts of the game require grinding - not how I want to spend my time if I've only got a small break to play! So I jump around a lot between games, but I will eventually play through the main storyline at least. I'm still working on my Pokédex in X nearly a year and half later!

Years
  • I dunno, I thought it pretty much lived up to expectations. I thought the storytelling was pretty excellent - they managed to fit Mega Evolution into the plot MUCH better than they did in XY, and maybe it's because they didn't have to go out of their way to introduce the concept. They managed to subtly add elements here and there that just clarified the story too, like how Rayquaza had placed a seal on the Seafloor Cavern.

What's more, the Delta Episode exists, and I have something to say about that.
    Spoiler:

But to get back on topic, I totally finished the game in the sense that I've beaten the League a few times and have caught most of the 'sky legendaries'. Think 'finishing the game' has a different meaning when it comes to ORAS, since
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    I don't think I'll ever finish any Pokemon game, let alone Omega Ruby.
    To fully finish a Pokemon game, you gotta catch 'em all, get all the items, defeat all the trainers, finish all contests if the game has it, etc.
    No, just ain't happening... At least, not here.
    Also, I never played R/S/E, never had a gameboy console... Only nintendo device I've ever had, and still have, is my 3DS

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2015
    Gen 3 was my favourite but it did take me a while to finish Omega Ruby. I got to the elite four then didn't play for a while and the same thing happened with the Delta episode

Back