• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Did you find OR/AS challenging?

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Not as easy as Pokemon X was imo but Alpha Sapphire still wasn't too hard. With the exp. sharing and the wide variety of Pokemon it was still pretty easy to level up Pokemon and the E4 for the Hoenn region aren't too hard either imo. HG/SS were a lot harder.

Nurse Kevin

Pokémon Collector
    Years
    • Age 30
    • U.S.
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    Actually, I found AS to be more challenging than the originals. As I progressed through the game, I had to make sure EXP. Share was off, and avoid a lot of trainers to remain fair-leveled. Boss battles like Archie and Zinnia were so easy that I had to use moves like False Swipe to make sure they use Full Restores, which they didn't, therefore making a battle last longer even more of a challenge. The first 5 gyms had been nerfed in levels so I had to soft-reset a number of times to remain either under-leveled or at their level. It's challenging all right.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2018
    I only played AS so I can't say for OR.

Stroomish that you can catch at the start makes team aqua/kyorge a non issue.
    That been said the only fights I found challenging(aka need to train/switch up pokemon/use items) were the admin at the admin at the slateport museum with the rough skin carvarna, wally before the E4(why is the E4 and Steaven so bad even though they have good pokemon), Wallace at sky tower and the fire gym leader.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    Another thing I thought about, with regards to the contests, they've made building Contest stats insanely easy in these games. Back in the originals there was a limited number of Pokeblocks you could feed your Pokemon, so you had to make sure each block was blended perfectly in order to perfect your contest stats, and that blending mini-game was pretty darned challenging. In this one it's as simple as "put some berries in a blender, and out pops a perfect Pokeblock".

Not related to battling or anything, and I know Contests are more of a side feature than anything, but it's just one of the many ways they've seriously toned down the challenge factor, for better or worse.

Years
    I think ORAS could be challenging but not any harder than gen 3. Gen 6 improvements to exp share makes it easier imo, which isn't that bad. AI can still be brutal with luck and accuracy.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
    After you turn the EXP. share on, AS was no longer hard for me. I never played Gen 3 to begin with either so I can't exactly compare the difficulty like a lot of people have.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    I was definitely less easy than XY. But I wouldn't say it's challenging at all.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I thought it was fair. I didn't have any difficulties, and I didn't think it was overly easy.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I use the exp. share and that makes it pretty easy. they need to increase the levels of oppnents, or else, its too easy. I can see that they want to make it easy for new players, but they probably use the exp. share anyway.

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
    Years
    Piss easy, which absolutely disappoints me, considering I love R/S/E for their relatively challenging nature (at least, for a Pokémon game). Only thing in the game that's PvE and is challenging is the Maison, which is artificial difficulty at its finest (read: worst).

Back