• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Did you find OR/AS challenging?

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    That's a good point you bring up -- it might not be a huge threat competitively, but Norman's Slaking is pretty tough to a team of level 30 Pokemon, because not only is it insanely powerful but it has pretty good defenses too.

I don't find ORAS challenging that is because my team were EV trained beforehand. But Norman still proved to be a great challenge, I can imagine my team getting cleaned if my kids weren't trained. ;)

Oh god yes, this is so true. In my current Alpha Sapphire run, I went against him with none of my team leveled above 30. He managed to KO my entire team except for my Marshtomp (yes he was still a Marshtomp at the time), and it was by sheer luck Marshtomp was able to beat his final Slaking. Slaking is sooo OP, if it weren't for Truant he'd be nigh unstoppable.

Years
    One thing I find about Norman is that his first Slaking loves to use Yawn, no matter how garbage your defenses are. After (watching) several plays of ORAS, i've gotten quite used to him starting off with that move. But as I may have said, some of my adventures have had him actually putting up a nice fight.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Let me add on: it's particularly terrible if your starter haven't reached their final evolutionary stage. Sceptile may suffer a lot too, compare to its other two starter peers. Due to the lack of Fighting-type move or the lack of bulk.

Oh god yes, this is so true. In my current Alpha Sapphire run, I went against him with none of my team leveled above 30. He managed to KO my entire team except for my Marshtomp (yes he was still a Marshtomp at the time), and it was by sheer luck Marshtomp was able to beat his final Slaking. Slaking is sooo OP, if it weren't for Truant he'd be nigh unstoppable.

My Sceptile just barely made it through that battle. Thank goodness it was so high leveled.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Much easier than RSE which was imo fairly easy for the most part as it is! The Exp Share was to blame here - made things just a touch too easy...

I did have some struggles, as I used a team close to the opponents throughout the game. But that said, I was rotating between more than 6 Pokemon... the number was (maybe a couple less) thirty Pokemon. If your exp-sharing device is able to keep 30 Pokemon close to the opponent's team with the only 'grinding' being catching Pokes that appear interesting through DexNav and otherwise just exploring all the places and beating up trainers without much in the way of extra battles, then your exp-sharing device is too powerful.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    If you don't get makuhita or any fighting type before Norman it would be difficult to stop it's slacking, but if you choose torchic it would be a breeze and luckily for me I just uberly owned with a downloaded pokemon

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    It's too bad you can't get the Protect TM before Norman's gym; would make the battle a lot easier since you can abuse Truant with that.

What Rock types are available to the player before that point though, besides Geodude?

Drayton

Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Maybe Nosepass? (just rocksmashing rocks that's all)

Drayton

Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    There's Aron and both the fossil Pokemon as well. Aron in particular can take Norman's STAB moves very well with its quad resistance and high Defense.
    Aron sure survive pretty well against slacking even been yawned multiple times.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I forced myself to have some trouble by training up the whole national dex while playing through the game. If a pokemon was fully evolved, I switched it out with one that needed training in my box, only switching back for gym leaders and the league. It still wasn't awfully difficult, and I think one could run through the game really quickly if you just build a six pokemon team and use that.

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2015
    Considering I found the original games to this remake challenging in some areas the same could not be said for the remake. I remember struggling for the most part in the elite 4 whereas in the remake I defeated the champion and elite 4 with a couple of dragon dances each from my Gyarados.

Maybe I am just better at Pokemon these days, but since Diamond/Pearl/Platinum the games feel increasingly easier.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2016
    I think Nah said it best. Pokemon games haven't been difficult since R/B honestly and thats because that game was plagued with all sorts of crap. Anything with glare/twave wrap was a threat, toxic minimize golbat (lookin at you koga) and don't even get me started on the old crit system. All in all though I don't think pokemon is meant to be all that challenging. I believe in this new age where battling other players is one wifi connection away to me the focus has been shifted to the end game and less on the battles before then. Whether or not that's ok is purely up to you. Just be thankful you can buy potions in the first town these days n.n.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I found OR to be ridiculously easy. Part of it was because I had run through Ruby a few times before, and since the layout of Hoenn didn't really change, it was easy to know where to go and when. Another reason was because I was only playing with a team of four Pokemon, so the experience gains in battle weren't that widely-spread, and I had pretty good coverage when it came to moves. That's why my Pokemon were so high-leveled compared to everyone else, including the Elite Four and Steven.

LadyVenus

Team Cipher
    Years
    For me, it depends on how I play the game. I previously did a starter only run with Swampert and yes, it was very easy. I am not doing a "no exp. share" run and am finding it to be quite a bit more....annoying. Not necessarily difficult, but the trainers can be annoying. The game itself is definitely what I would consider to be on the easier side of Pokemon games.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    I found OR to be ridiculously easy. Part of it was because I had run through Ruby a few times before, and since the layout of Hoenn didn't really change, it was easy to know where to go and when. Another reason was because I was only playing with a team of four Pokemon, so the experience gains in battle weren't that widely-spread, and I had pretty good coverage when it came to moves. That's why my Pokemon were so high-leveled compared to everyone else, including the Elite Four and Steven.

Yea, that's definitely a factor. I'd imagine that, navigation-wise at least, it was probably a bit more difficult for people who hadn't played the originals, since the layout of Hoenn is a bit complex (at least in comparison to other regions).

For me, it depends on how I play the game. I previously did a starter only run with Swampert and yes, it was very easy. I am not doing a "no exp. share" run and am finding it to be quite a bit more....annoying. Not necessarily difficult, but the trainers can be annoying. The game itself is definitely what I would consider to be on the easier side of Pokemon games.

I did the same thing. I leave the exp share in pretty much all my playthroughs, and put for me it still felt a bit on the easy side :/ One thing that can be said about it is that ORAS seems to have a lot of random trainer battles. It feels like there's more in this game than usual. Not sure if that's just me though :P

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    Pokémon AS wasn't very challenging for me. Even though it wasn't much of a challenge it was still fun to play. I had my EXP Share on so I guess maybe that's why I didn't find it very challenging. I'm going to play through it again but this time have it off and see what happens.

Smiffy01

Ace Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2016
    I found AS quite fun, not a huge challenge per say compared to lets say earlier generations (Crystal, blue, red), I certainly found it easier to level my pokemon together, mainly due to the fact you get the Exp share within about the first 20 minutes of the game, which I think is silly, its makes it far too easy, but still despite that, I enjoy it still very much :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2020
    No, thanks to the Exp.Share. I nailed Norman quite easy and I did not use Primal Kyogre to defeat the league. I use hidden abilites for adventuring.

Years
    OR was easy. I only used exp share until Mauville. Had an overleveled Swampert, Gallade and Latios and a lvl 25 HM-Slave Linoone to finish the game. Lucky Linoone did nothing...

Back