• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Disappointing evolutions

Harmonie

Winds ღ
Years
  • The Gen IV evolutions of Magmar, Electabuzz, and Rhydon are hideous abominations that the world be better off without. With that said, Magmar and Electabuzz are not designs that have stood up for me, so perhaps calling those two evolutions "disappointing" is off.

There are tons and tons of Pokemon lines where I am in love with an earlier evolution (Litwick and Finneckin come to mind right off the top of my head), but not the later one(s), but I'm not sure I'd say they're disappointing persay. I don't know how to put it.

Years
  • I feel like last two gens introduced a loads of Pokémon with great design and then completely destroyed the line with ugly evolution. Some that come on mind: Quaxly and Quaquaval, Pawmi line, Tarountula amd Spidops, Yamper and Boltund, Sobble and Intelion.

Years
  • I know this is going to sound weird, but Slaking. Vigoroth got rid of truant and is now a fast moving sloth pokemon. Why does its final evolution go back to being a slow sloth pokemon? Is it a metaphor of how when you're an adult you are vigorous and then go back to being tired when you are old? I do not know. My main complaint comes from wishing that Slaking did not have truant, or if it became more like Vigoroth.

Another pokemon evolution I am somewhat disappointed by design wise was Chespin's final evolution. Chesnaught isn't a bad pokemon by any means, I really believe it is underrated, but Chesnaught is not what I expected. It's an armored-looking pokemon and I like armored pokemon as a design choice, but compare it to Aggron, another armored pokemon. Aggron looks so much cooler by comparison, while Chesnaught looks... too round? Its design looks more simplistic with its rounded shape, and I get that's the point. Just wished Chesnaught looked cooler, more intimidating, maybe have more spikes like Sandslash. Still like Chesnaught though.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    There are plenty Pokemon I don't like based on their aesthetics, but I can see what the design team were going for (even if it was a joke that might not have landed such as Maushold, it needed to be that way for the joke the designers intended) and the little touches they made, so it's just a question of preference even if I don't like them.

That said, Pawmi's line is the one line that really bothers me, because the subtletly of the changes are too big without a joke or lore that needs that subtletly to land.

Now, people like to say "Oh, look at $insert_older_pokemon_here, it also has few changes" or some other thing, when a little change can go a long way when you're strategic about it. Pawmi doesn't even have that.

Disappointing evolutions
    Disappointing evolutions
    Disappointing evolutions

All of those Pokémon (specially in different representations such as the in game sprites or in game models) have very different silhouettes, expressions and fire placement. Perhaps more importantly, Typhlosion (big, angry, upright) feels very different from Cyndaquil (smol, almost quadruped, placid) and Quilava is a midway transition between the two. Even if there aren't a lot of differences, they feel different and that's what matters.

Disappointing evolutions
    Disappointing evolutions

Same thing here, color changes, yes, size difference, yes but you could even miss that and you'd still be able to tell them apart because of the silhouettes. Charmander is round, Charmeleon is full of sharp edges. Charmander is pretty much always smiling, Charmeleon is always either frowning or smirking.

Small objective design differences that compound to a greater subjective feeling difference.

Disappointing evolutions
    Disappointing evolutions

Even Muk and Grimer have different depictions that telegraph the slight differences. Grimer is taller and thinner, Muk is shorter and squatter. Grimer has a goofy expression, Muk has an angry / put-upon expression. Muk's model / sprite / etc. is always in an attack like position, while Grimer is arms out as if it's going for a hug.

Muk and Grimer are one of the weaker distinctions because there's only so much you can tweak about about a basic amorphous shape and eyes (although they could have exaggerated more, like say, Voltorb and Electrode), although originating in a sprite media where you can fix a pose helped them a lot, but let's check out the Pawmi line

Disappointing evolutions
    Disappointing evolutions
    Disappointing evolutions

Can you tell the difference in the silhouettes? The pompadour gets scruffier and they get bigger, that's the only change to the silhouette if we put them in the same general pose. (There are other changes but they don't translate to the silhouette).

And because most people first saw those guys in a dynamic 3D environment where they were tiny compared to you (possibly in the distance), in similar positions such as walking or standing upright and in a variety of expressions (or where the expressions might not show up well because they're tiny). Maybe if they came in a 2D environment, the change would be more clearly demarcated like Grimer / Muk, but it's just not great design for 3D open world.

If there is a joke, I genuinely can't tell and someone please tell me because it might recontextualize the Pokemon for me and it feels like there should be a joke? Similar designs, similar names (even in Japanese: Pamo, Pamott and Parmott), it feels like it's riffing something but I genuinely can't tell what that riff is.

Years
  • I thought Tangela was cute in a Mimikyu-esque way with the big shy eyes and baby shoes peeking out of the vines it's hiding behind. What was nice about it was that you saw so little of what was beneath.

Tangrowth ruined the design for me though. What I like about Tangela is that it has a childlike, vulnerable quality, but when it shoots up to 7 feet tall and blows up to 300 pounds it loses that charm. It also lives up to the old saying that "some things are better left to the imagination" now that we see those cheese string-shaped arms flailing around and hulking legs cramming their way into a pair of spandex.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Rhyperior. Lost all it's sleekness.

I also didn't like Boltund. It felt like a second stage awaiting an evolution.

Years
  • For me it was the Oshawott line. Refused to evolve it during my first run in pokemon black lol. Another one that comes to my mind is Dragonite. I mean, it's a good pokemon, but you don't expect it to be dragonair's evolution. I was a bit disappointed when I discovered it because I really like Dragonair and the concept of water dragon, so I wanted them to continue that way. Dragonite just seems pretty unrelated.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Gonna go with 1 (not really) for each gen because I like being a hater, I guess

To this day Dragonite is still very ????? even for a first gen Pokémon. Not even does it look so out of place compared to the previous stages, but it also doesn't seem to follow any concept at all to justify that, which is something Octillery at least has going for it, even if it's still pretty dumb.

Speaking of Gen 2, Feraligatr is awful lmao. How do you mess up so badly when you had a clear, actually interesting caveman concept in Croconaw. All of the Johto starters have the same problem of being just the same thing but bigger with Meganium being the one that suffers the least with it, but it hurts especially bad with Feraligatr because Quilava didn't have anything promising to go with in the first place. And no, it has nothing to do with hardware limitations because that was also the same generation that introduced Ho-Oh and one generation after Venusaur, which to this day is one of the best and most organic looking final stage starters in the franchise.

We keep talking about starters in Gen 3 because once again, the Pocket Monster franchise messed up a very promising second stage (rare) making Grovyle bald for some reason. Sceptile's mega looks cool, tho I'll give it that.

Gen 4 has by far the lamest PokéDex with only the evolutions/pre-evolutions of old Pokémon being interesting outside the starters. The exceptions to that are Tangrowth and Magmortar. I can stand the former because it looks goofy in its awfulness, but Magmortar...... that's a yikes for me dude, way to mess up one of the coolest Pokémon from Gen 1 for the sake of adding cool cannons, because cannons are cool right? Kids like cannons.

I actually like all of the Gen 5 Pokémon. I guess Conkeldurr is ugly, but not disappointing because the whole line is. Samurott is the most out of place final evolution I guess, but it's not enragingly bad as Sceptile or the Johto starters.

Gen 6 has like 15 Pokémon, there's nothing to add here, because I actually like Chesnaught and Aromatisse which are the ones that get all the hate. And the other Pokémon I either like a lot or don't care enough about.

Gen 7 has the best PokéDex to this day, I mean it, but GOD is Incineroar the most disappointing starter to this day? I don't hate it as much as I used to anymore because it does have some really interesting design elements, but Litten deserved much better.

Get ready for a ride now, because after 2 and a half massive Ws, GameFreak had to flop at some point. I could make an entire post about how bad some of the Pokémon here are. Okay here we go:
    First, the starters (final stages) suck. All of them. It's the worst starter trio so far, and that says a lot considering how bad Johto's is.
    Second, Yamper is cute I guess; not a great fan, but I can sorta see the appeal, I just don't feel strongly about it. Keep that in mind when I say Boltund is bad, like enragingly bad. Pick up all the things that made Yamper unique for some fans and flush them down the toilet, and you get the most boring and dull dog Pokémon in the franchise.
    Third, Greedent is my most disliked Pokémon in the whole franchise and it's existence is already a disappointment. I can't not add it to the list for the funsies lmao.
    Fourth and actually first place for the most disappointing Pokémon in the franchise ever and ever. Coalossal. Why did they turn the wheel/minecart Pokémon into a furnace?! Or whatever it is. What's with making the rock type Pokémon some stone dinosaur thing? I don't hate Coalossal in itself because I don't feel anything towards the rest of its line, but it is the one Pokémon that I think shouldn't exist (derogatory) because it just makes no sense in any way.

Let's go back to Pokémon I actually like now, because Gen 9 introduced the second best PokéDex in the franchise, it can't be the first one because of the first stage of the pseudo that looks like YuGiOh's Black Ojama and Fuecoco's second and third stages. Don't get me wrong, I still like Skeledirge, but it just feels... wrong? Fuecoco was all about le funny crocodile going nom, but then it got an egg hat for some reason... and now looks like a clown... and the egg hatched into a fire bird that sings???? It makes no sense, why is it dead? If Skeledirge doesn't make me as angry as Coalossal it's because I do like the focus on festivity themed starters, it's just weird Fuecoco is its first stage.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    There ain't many for my taste, can't complain. I would however refuse to evolve Pansage, Pansear and Panpour into Simisage, Simisear and Simipour or Thwackey into Rillaboom for example. Maybe Yanma, also? Not sure about it.
    I guess I'd rather use these Pokémon with a held eviolite item instead of making them evolve into their next form.

Back