• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you prefer using specific/matching Poké Balls when you catch Pokémon?

Years
  • Do you prefer using specific/matching Poké Balls when you catch Pokémon?

How much value do you put on the Poké Balls you catch Pokémon with? Do you not care what you use, like matching the ball with the Pokémon (color/design-wise, etc), or just use your preferred Poké Balls in general?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • If poke balls like the apricot balls and others were more easy to obtain, I would love to use them a lot more, but there just isn't enough outside of Johto Games and even then they take too long to make to get a stock pile. Not only that, but not every type really has poke ball to represent it so I don't usually worry too much.

I also tend to use timer or quick balls more than anything.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I've never really been that picky when it came to balls. I know I would use certain balls for certain types like a Net Ball but other than that I just yeet what I have at a Pokémon.

Years
  • Prior to SwSh I couldn't care less.
    I acquired quite the stockpile of mons I wanted in specific balls in SwSh though... might've gotten a wee bit out of hand xD

Years
  • I used to want all my 'mons to only be in Pokeballs, to have uniformity like Ash does in the anime lol. Overtime though I've stopped caring. It's like 5 pixels at the bottom of my screen when I view it in stats, and it only appears for 2 seconds when in battle.

Years
  • I never felt that certain balls actually work as they were intended, for ex. Dusk Balls, Net Balls, etc. Ultra balls or Quick balls work too well in comparison. Buuuuut, sometimes when I find a fancy pokemon, I do get the urge to have them in a specific pokeball, like Umbreon in a Luxury Ball or a Sylveon in a Heal Ball.

Years
    • Seen today
    Yes. At least for Pokémon I want on my team I allways try to use Balls that somehow match the Pokémon's type/colors/theme, like Quick/Ultra for Electric types, Repeat/Fast for Fire types, Nest/Friend for Grass, Heal/Love for Fairy, Heavy for Rock/Steel, Dusk for Ghost/Dark (especially the Duskull line), etc. And of course the most obvious ones like Net for Bug/Water.

Not allways possible though due to usually some of the Pokémon appearing before the specific Ball becomes available.

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Honestly, up until Dynamax Adventures, I didn't care at all. As long as it caught the Pokemon, I was good. I was that person who always traded away my Apriballs for shinies, and I pay 0 attention to the Pokeball opening animation when people send out their Pokemon in battle. Now I sort of regret it knowing that all Dynamax Adventure Pokemon have a 100% catch rate, but I'm still mostly fine catching things with regular balls

Years
  • yes. the colour of the pokemon, for the most part, has to match the pokeball i'm using to catch it. i'm not even that picky about it, but it's still nice to have and look at from an aesthetic standpoint.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • yessss absolutely but mostly just with shiny pokemon. i don't put much stock into my pokeball for normal playthroughs or challenges. matching the pokemon is fun tho. apriballs especially are Peak aesthetic. it's a shame that we haven't really gotten a lot of new ball designs the past few generations, though.

Noir

Sir Lucious Left Foot
    Years
  • Yesss the aesthetic is absolutely key. Like Sydian said its whatever for normal mons in an average playthrough but i'll still try my best to match it up with the best looking ball (Magnemite line and premier ball is an easy example) but for postgame and breeding everything has to match up and just pop off.

Back