• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you remember your original game winning teams? (Gen 1-5 Era)

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2023
    I do remember for a lot of them

For Ruby (also my first Hall of Fame ever) it was Swampert, Shiftry, Altaria, Seadra, Walrein and Flygon
    Firered: Venusaur, Arcanine, Vaporeon, Pidgeot, Raichu and Dragonite.
    I don't actually remember for Emerald aside from Sceptile, Gardevoir and Shiny Aggron. Probably Rayquaza as well.
    In Diamond, it was Infernape, Luxray, Rampardos, Honchkrow, Lucario and Floatzel
    Platinum: Torterra, Staraptor, Gyarados, Frosslass, Magnezone. I can't remember what the last slot was unfortunately.
    Heartgold: Feraligatr, Yanmega (and god did I search for that Yanma for hours), Ampharos, Extremespeed Dragonite... and I can't remember the other 2. For some reason I have a memory of adding Entei to the team, but no other memories other than the action of moving it out of the box.
    White: Samurott, Scolipede, Unfezant, Haxorus... and not counting Zekrom from my first Hall of Fame, I don't remember what the last 2 were.
    White 2: Serperior, Lucario, Crobat, Zoroark, Flygon; can't remember what my surfer was.
    X: Greninja, Lucario, Gardevoir, Talonflame, Heliolisk, Tyrantrum
    Omega Ruby: Swampert, Shiftry, Altaria, Ninetales, Gardevoir, Walrein (a slight variation of my original Ruby team)
    Moon: Decidueye, Goodra, Vikavolt... Archeops? Given it's the most recent game I've finished for the first time, I'm stunned how little I remember my team.

bez850

Professional Amateur
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2023
    I do remember for a lot of them

For Ruby (also my first Hall of Fame ever) it was Swampert, Shiftry, Altaria, Seadra, Walrein and Flygon
    Firered: Venusaur, Arcanine, Vaporeon, Pidgeot, Raichu and Dragonite.
    I don't actually remember for Emerald aside from Sceptile, Gardevoir and Shiny Aggron. Probably Rayquaza as well.
    In Diamond, it was Infernape, Luxray, Rampardos, Honchkrow, Lucario and Floatzel
    Platinum: Torterra, Staraptor, Gyarados, Frosslass, Magnezone. I can't remember what the last slot was unfortunately.
    Heartgold: Feraligatr, Yanmega (and god did I search for that Yanma for hours), Ampharos, Extremespeed Dragonite... and I can't remember the other 2. For some reason I have a memory of adding Entei to the team, but no other memories other than the action of moving it out of the box.
    White: Samurott, Scolipede, Unfezant, Haxorus... and not counting Zekrom from my first Hall of Fame, I don't remember what the last 2 were.
    White 2: Serperior, Lucario, Crobat, Zoroark, Flygon; can't remember what my surfer was.
    X: Greninja, Lucario, Gardevoir, Talonflame, Heliolisk, Tyrantrum
    Omega Ruby: Swampert, Shiftry, Altaria, Ninetales, Gardevoir, Walrein (a slight variation of my original Ruby team)
    Moon: Decidueye, Goodra, Vikavolt... Archeops? Given it's the most recent game I've finished for the first time, I'm stunned how little I remember my team.

Very nice!!!!

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I may (or may not) have a unique way of playing Pokémon, as I start my journey with at least two separate teams. I refer to each team as my primary and secondary team. For instance, I use my primary team all the up until I defeat the first team, and then I box that team and use my secondary team until I defeat the second gym. I continue doing this until I defeat every gym and challenge the Elite Four with my primary team, and then rematch the Elite Four with my secondary team. As a result, I always end up with (at least) two championship teams.

Primary Teams

Generation I: Starmie, Zapdos, Machamp, Alakazam, Tauros, Exeggutor
    Generation II: Starmie, Zapdos, Machamp, Alakazam, Tyranitar, Smeargle
    Generation III: Pokémon Ruby - Blaziken, Starmie, Shiftry, Zapdos, Alakazam, Gengar
    Pokémon FireRed - Starmie, Zapdos, Machamp, Alakazam, Tauros, Exeggutor
    Generation IV: Pokémon Platinum - Empoleon, Lucario, Electivire, Alakazam, Garchomp, Gengar
    Pokémon HeartGold - Feraligatr, Zapdos, Machamp, Tyranitar, Alakazam, Weavile
    Generation V: Pokémon Black – Serperior, Starmie, Hitmonchan, Electivire, Haxorus, Sigilyph
    Pokémon White 2 – Serperior, Starmie, Machamp, Electivire, Haxorus, Sigilyph
    Generation VI: Pokémon X and Y – Greninja, Blaziken, Electivire, Haxorus, Nidoqueen, Gardevoir
    Pokémon Alpha Sapphire – Blaziken, Feraligatr, Electivire, Haxorus, Gengar, Gardevoir
    Pokémon Omega Ruby – Blaziken, Feraligatr, Electivire, Haxorus, Gengar, Gardevoir
    Generation VII: Decidueye, Starmie, Blazkien, Electivire, Garchomp, Gardevoir
    Generation VIII: Inteleon, Lucario, Electivire, Haxorus, Gengar, Gardevoir

Secondary Teams

Generation I: Blastoise, Electrode, Hitmonlee, Mewtwo, Snorlax, Victreebel
    Generation II: Kingdra, Magneton, Hitmonlee, Gengar, Ursaring, Mewtwo
    Generation III: Pokémon Ruby – No secondary team for this game.
    Pokémon FireRed - Blastoise, Electrode, Hitmonlee, Mewtwo, Snorlax, Victreebel
    Generation IV: Pokémon Platinum - Starmie, Machamp, Magnezone, Weavile, Mismagius, Aerodactyl
    Pokémon HeartGold - Gyarados, Magnezone, Blaziken, Garchomp, Ursaring, Gengar
    Generation V: Pokémon White – Gyarados, Machamp, Magnezone, Alakazam, Crobat, Weavile
    Pokémon Black 2 - Gyarados, Machamp, Magnezone, Alakazam, Crobat, Weavile
    Generation VI: Pokémon X and Y – Starmie, Lucario, Magnezone, Garchomp, Weavile, Aerodactyl
    Pokémon Alpha Sapphire – Starmie, Machamp, Magnezone, Drapion, Garchomp, Togekiss
    Pokémon Omega Ruby – Starmie, Machamp, Magnezone, Drapion, Weavile, Mismagius
    Generation VII: Feraligatr, Machamp, Magnezone, Haxorus, Weavile, Alakazam
    Generation VIII: Starmie, Blaziken, Magnezone, Garchomp, Weavile, Togekiss

Last edited:

Poke fan number 489

pokemon fan
    Years
    • He/Him/His
    • Earth
    • Seen Jul 19, 2023
    I remember my gen 5 one perfectly. It was a Samurott, Hydragon, and a Lucario. Eventually I added a Gardevoir.
    Fun fact about me, I suck at catching and usually don't catch a full team until the elite four. This playthrough is the reason there's a usually.
    I also did a Emerald playthrough by spamming Swellows.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Yes! I can tell you all my main teams practically from memory. Not sure about ancillary team members, but my main teams are in my heart.

Diamond: Empoleon, Luxray, Floatzel, Noctowl, Carnivine, Weavile.
    Platinum: I considered this a redo of the Diamond playthrough, so I used the same Mons except Carnivine, which I replaced with Roserade.
    Emerald: Swampert, Sableye, Electrode, Flygon, Mawile, Rayquaza.
    SoulSilver: Typhlosion, Ampharos, Heracross, Xatu, Dragonite. Lugia occasionally tagged along for the ride as well.
    Black: Serperior, Excadrill, Gothitelle, Chandelure, Mienshao, Hydreigon.
    Black 2: Serperior, Excadrill, Lucario, Lapras, Sigilyph and Chandelure. Here's where it gets complicated, because I start repeating a lot of members and making "all-stars" sorts of teams.
    Y: Braixen, Aegislash, Lucario, Sigilyph, Lapras and Roserade.
    Alpha Sapphire: Swampert, Sableye, Gardevoir, Electrode and Rayquaza. Only ran with five this time because my sixth spot was filled by an HM slave.
    Sun: Incineroar, Alolan Raichu, Lycanroc, Zygarde 10%, Crobat, Golisopod and Mimikyu.
    Ultra Sun (I): Incineroar, Alolan Raichu, Noivern, Golisopod, Mimikyu (Totem-sized) and Naganadel.
    Crystal (I): Typhlosion, Poliwrath, Noctowl and the Red Gyarados.
    Crystal (II): Feraligatr, Magneton, Noctowl and Dragonite.
    Let's Go Pikachu (I): Partner Pikachu, Vileplume, Charizard, Sandslash, Haunter (not Gengar, since I had no online) and Vaporeon.
    Shield (I): Cinderace, Corviknight, Obstagoon, Cloyster, Runerigus and Mimikyu.
    Ultra Sun (II, Mono-Ghost): Decidueye, Drifblim, Gengar, Mismagius, Mimikyu (Totem-sized) and Palossand.
    Let's Go (II): Partner Pikachu, Raichu, Haunter, Venomoth, Gyarados (non-Shiny, although I did catch my non-Johto Shiny Gyarados in this game and ended up more attached to him, oops) and Flareon.
    Shield (II): Cinderace, Raichu, Excadrill, Mimikyu, Weavile and Falinks. I also had a Ninjask, which I replaced with the last one. The Mimikyu in this playthrough is, in addition, the half-brother of my first playthrough's Mimikyu, who already has been transferred to this file. :D

As you can see, I'm pretty conservative picking my teams; I tend to prefer recycling old favourites because I know they're reliable, and I usually nickname them the same across multiple playthroughs (except when they're different genders, such as Weavile or Golisopod). I probably should challenge myself to a playthrough in which I use Mons I've never used before (which I only do in older games or remakes thereof), but you can pry Mimikyu and/or the resident Ghost-type from my sizzling dead hands. :D

Last edited:

PkmnTrainSlate

Myth Researcher Slate
    Years
  • I remember some teams VERY well, actually!

Yellow: Butterfree, Pikachu, Vaporeon, Lapras, Charmeleon, Ivysaur. Butterfree was WAAAAY overleveled, and through revive spamming and whatnot, I barely beat the league.

Gold: Pidgeot, Typhlosion, Haunter, Magneton, Ho-Oh, Gyarados

Gen 3: never actually finished a Gen 3 game. I always get kinda bored of it, and want to restart.

Platinum: Gyarados, Gyarados, Gyarados, Gyarados, Gyarados, Gyarados. I gave up at my Nuzlocke after losing so many, so I trained up a team of Gyarados and wanted to see how far I could get. Through sheer comedic desire and willpower, however, I ended up beating the entire league, Stark Mountain postgame, AND the League Rematch.

Black: Reshiram, Serperior, Unfezant, Carracosta, Fraxure, Leavanny

Black 2: Emboar, Watchog, Zoroark, Crustle, Lilligant, Mandibuzz

Y: Yveltal, Delphox, Raichu, Kangaskhan, Lucario, Golem

Sun: Reuniclus, Incineroar, Toucannon, Lycanroc-Midday, Solgaleo, Aerodactyl

Ultra Sun: Necrozma, Incineroar, Lycanroc-Dusk, Noivern, Mimikyu, Ho-Oh. I accidentally got Ho-Oh from the Ultra wormhole before fighting Necrozma, funnily enough.

Shield: Eevee(GMax), Inteleon, Eternatus, Gardevoir, Grimmsnarl, Noivern

I can't wait for Gen 9 to truly decimate EVERYONE I can with the Dwebble I find right after starting the game! (Assuming Dwebble is in the game, which it should be.)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I sure do. My first version was Yellow, and I restarted it many times and almost always went with this team:

Pikachu/Jolteon, Charizard, Venusaur, Blastoise, Kadabra/Hypno, Machoke/Primeape

It kinda sucked that some of my favs like Haunter, Machoke and Kadabra wouldn't evolve since I had no one to trade with.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Not very well. Looked up Sapphire and Fire Red's first Hall of Fame clears. Guessed on the rest.

• Red: Blastoise, Dugtrio, Pidgeot, Jolteon?, Starmie?, and probably someone else.
    • Yellow: Probably Pikachu and five others.
    • Gold: Feraligatr, Ampharos, maybe Togetic, maybe Bellossom/Vileplume, Girafarig, and one other.
    • Crystal: Probably Politoed. No idea on the rest, but maybe more trade evolutions.
    • Sapphire: Sceptile, Swellow, Crawdaunt, Hariyama, Castform, and Kyogre. ...Would not have believed this, if not for loading up the save file.
    • Fire Red: Blastoise, Magneton, Exeggutor, Arcanine, Fearow, and Articuno. Clearly wanted to pick some different Pokemon here.
    • Diamond: Empoleon, Staraptor, Luxray, Roserade, Dialga, and someone else (Bibarel for HMs?).
    • Black: Serperior, Beartic, Seismitoad, Beheeyem, Chandelure, and maybe Galvantula. (Mentions Boldore and Liepard too. Dropped Boldore for being a trade evolution and Liepard for the disappointing design and power.)

Needs to look closer at this Sapphire team. Almost certainly never used Taunt on Crawdaunt. Weather Ball, Sunny Day, Hail, and Powder Snow on Castform. Not completely foo-hold on. Level 25 upon entering the Hall of Fame? Receives it at that level. Never even leveled it. Explains Kyogre a little better.

Explains the absence of Ludicolo too. Never evolved Lombre into it. Remembers Lotad being on the team. Must have benched it for looking stupid as Lombre and being weak. Turned it into an HM user.

Inspected the Fire Red team closer. Level 50 for Articuno in the Hall of Fame. Never used it either. Probably replaced an HM user with the best available Pokemon purely as backup. Likely did this in Generation 2 also.

Years
    • they / them
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    I don't know that I remember my teams for each generation, but I think I can tell you who I won with in my first one, Ruby:

Sceptile
    Groudon
    Golem
    Golduck
    Camerupt
    Pelipper

5th grade Evan wasn't exactly a team composition genius. It was just my favorite guys.

Actually, I'm not even sure if I used Pelipper in Ruby or in Emerald. My memory is terrible! I really only remember my favorite Pokemon, which starters I chose, and some particularly notable additions to my teams. When I played Pokemon Black 1, I in some way convinced someone in the Serebii IRC who had a Japanese copy and had unlocked the transfer from gen 4 to send me a Rotom who I could play through the game with, because... I really liked Rotom but I never had room for one on any of my teams in other games. I also liked the uniqueness of playing through the games with an old Pokemon! I had to be extra about it, I guess.

ShadowLugia111

Birb Obsessed
    Years
  • I no longer have my original Pearl save file, as I lost the game many years ago... I found out it was a fake copy anyway though ;v;

I do fondly remember my Empoleon I named Love. Like a lot of young kids did, I essentially solo'd the entire game with them. When I beat Cynthia, they were Lv. 83. Taught them Surf, Waterfall, Flash Cannon, and Cut. The rest of my team were in their 20's level wise. Pretty sure I had a Staravia and a Luxio. I'm not sure what else I had, but I know I didn't have Palkia on my team because I didn't figure out that you could just save before batting them to reset until you catch them.

But here are some first teams that beat the Elite Four in other games!

SoulSilver: Meganium, Lugia, Red Gyarados, Krabby, Geodude, Paras
    Black: Samurott, Reshiram, Stoutland, Unfezant, Cofegrigus, Patrat
    White 2: Samurott, Serperior, Emboar, Cryogonal, Lucario, Flygon
    Sword: Cinderace, Inteleon, Corviknight, Frosmoth, Galarian Slowbro, Alcremie

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2023
    I don't know if I remember completely. My first game was Sapphire, I'm not sure if what I remember my first team being was actually my first team though. But I'll assume so.

Swanpert, Raichu, Altaria, Medicham, Wailord, Rayquaza. I believe, anyway. Medicham was later addition, I remember never training it to 100, while I did at least Swampert, Raichu and Altaria. I can't remember if I'm forgetting one.

Years
  • I have long since overwritten my old saves (except for Platinum), and a lot of my first victories were with one pokemon and one or two legendaries sweeping the Elite Four. This was for all of gen 4, and the gen 1 remakes. In Emerald, however, I had a team that consisted of Swampert, Rayquaza, Wailord, Flygon, Manectric, and Aggron. Swampert and Rayquaza mainly did the heavy lifting. Wailord and Flygon were in the party so I could find the 3 regis (Wailord is needed to open one of the chambers, and I raised a Trapinch to level 41 so it can learn dig because I wasted the TM on a pokemon that I later transferred). Manectric and Aggron were on the team because I thought they looked cool, and I had caught a Lairon at level 41 in the victory road. Needless to say, I still used each of my party members at least once during the Elite Four and Champion.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • Gen 3 and 4 were just me soloing everything with my starter (Sceptile, Blastoise, Torterra, Typhlosion) as a kid.

Gen 5, I used a full team in White because I was finally old enough to understand it, but I don't remember my team because it's been so long. I know my ace was Virizion, though. I think the other five may have been Samurott, Excadrill, Zoroark, Eelektross, and Chandelure, but I'm not 100% sure about any of them. I never beat B2W2 because I got bored with Pokemon at the time but I plan to get around to it sometime this year.

I beat X with a mono-fire team, with the event Blaziken as my ace, and Charizard, Delphox, Chandelure, and Houndoom as the other four. I haven't played past XY because it was too easy and I stopped being interested in Pokemon for several years.

Gen 1, I first beat with Charizard, Butterfree, Gyarados, Dragonite, Fearow, and Aerodactyl, in a recent mono-flying challenge in Red.

In Gen 2, I first beat Gold with Golem, Quagsire, Steelix, Nidoking, Sandslash, and Piloswine, and beat Crystal with Victreebel, Gengar, Crobat, Tentacruel, Nidoking, and Venomoth. Both of these were pretty recent as well.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
    Years
    • Age 22
    • He/they
    • Oregon
    • Seen Mar 14, 2023
    I didn't beat the Champion without cheats on Heartgold and Platinum until fairly recently. My memory with some teams are hazy as well. I'll go in order of beaten game instead of release date for the sake of keeping track.

Black - Serperior, Stoutland, Unfeazant, Simipour, Krookodile
    White 2 - Keldeo, Zoroark
    Emerald - Swampert, Slaking, Gardevoir, Camerupt, Salemence, Armaldo
    Heartgold (without cheats) - Feraligatr, Umbreon, Magnezone, Belossom, (forgot the rest)
    Platinum (without cheats) - Empoleon, Gallade, Bronzong, Hippowdon, Roserade (forgot the rest)
    Blue - Butterfree, Clefable, Persian, Vaporeon, (forgot the rest)
    Crystal - Jumpluff, Granbull (forgot the rest)
    Yellow - Sandslash, Dodrio, Clefable, Vaporeon, Haunter, Hypno

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I still have most of the saved files in my cartridges (exception made for Pokémon Black).

Red: Venusaur, Fearow, Golduck, Hypno, Rhydon and Hitmonchan.
    Silver: Typhlosion, Ariados, Bellossom, Quagsire, Ampharos and Dragonite.
    Sapphire: Sceptile, Medicham, Manectric, Camerupt, Armaldo and Walrein.
    Platinum: Empoleon, Drifblim, Carnivine, Porygon-Z, Weavile and Garchomp.
    Soul Silver: Typhlosion, Jumpluff, Slowking, Forretress, Hitmontop and Tyranitar.
    Black: Samurott, Leavanny, Conkeldurr, Krookodile, Gothitelle and Vanilluxe (approximately).
    Black 2: Emboar, Musharna, Whimsicott, Jellicent, Excadrill and Volcarona.

I got some Unova vibes while playing Pokémon Scarlet and decided to use Eelektross there as my sixth team member.

Back