• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Do you save before you try?

Jiranis

Drifloon fan/Shiny hunter
Years
  • I save before evreything and evrey 30 minutes. i tame pride in my game time.
    But.. I havent lost a story battle in two years.
    Even the sinnoh "1337" 4 i creamed when i expected to lose with 1 lvl 55.

Years
  • I don't see how you can call it cheating. It was placed in the game purposely, and is encouraged by the makers of game. Last I checked, that would be defined as a feature. That would be like playing Grand Theft Auto, and getting through the game without weapons. They make the game alot easier, but calling using them cheating is just incorrect.

EvanMiesterX

^If that's my real name!
    Years
  • i only save before legendaries, and before the champion the first time i i go through the elite four (no point, really, because i beat them every time) the only reason i save before legends is because i usually kill them once or twice before i actually catch them (i learned this the hard way when i killed suicune in my gold, so i never got one)

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    I don't see how you can call it cheating. It was placed in the game purposely, and is encouraged by the makers of game. Last I checked, that would be defined as a feature. That would be like playing Grand Theft Auto, and getting through the game without weapons. They make the game alot easier, but calling using them cheating is just incorrect.
    How is it not cheating? Here, I'll use a (slightly) real world example:
    Say you played baseball with someone named, say, Jon. Jon looses and is all upset, so he decides to reset time so he can practice more and win without you knowing about ever winning against him.
    Would you call that cheating? I would.
    And thats what saving does. You battle, lose, Reset the game so no-one remembers and its like it never happened, train, and finally win.

oreobytes

super de duper!
    Years
  • How is it not cheating? Here, I'll use a (slightly) real world example:
    Say you played baseball with someone named, say, Jon. Jon looses and is all upset, so he decides to reset time so he can practice more and win without you knowing about ever winning against him.
    And thats what saving does. You battle, lose, Reset the game so no-one remembers and its like it never happened, train, and finally win.

But, you do know that it could never happen like that IRL, and that videogames are in a FAKE digital world where moral values don't really matter too much because it's just a GAME....right?...right???

Years
  • How is it not cheating? Here, I'll use a (slightly) real world example:
    But, you do know that it could never happen like that IRL, and that videogames are in a FAKE digital world where moral values don't really matter too much because it's just a GAME....right?...right???
    Exactly. Listen to her.

If you have the power of time travel and spend your time playing baseball, you really should find a better use for it than replaying baseball games. That's just pathetic on so many levels.

Practicing isn't cheating. Hitting me over the head with a bat would be cheating. The other battler still has a fair chance. It's not like the exact same thing will happen in every battle, and go back in time can somehow prepare you for what's going to happen.

Lets say that I battle a gym leader, and lose. BUT I saved before. I reset and train some more, because obviously I'm not ready. I would call it testing myself. Sure, I could play through like it actually matters to me at all that I'm being unfair to a bunch of pixels and code, and then lose half my money with nothing to show for it. THAT is just plain stupidity.

The difference between your example and saving before battles is that: a) Fictional characters do not care if you win or lose; and b) Pokemon games were made to be able to save and return to that point at any time until the next save. Baseball doesn't have a time reset button.

I would call it being smart.

Improfane

hiatus
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2010
    *SAVING POST*

I hope nobody thinks I'm a saint here! I save and turn off before I try too...

Kenji-kun, you bring a good point:
    Kenji-kun said:
    I reset and train some more, because obviously I'm not ready. I would call it testing myself.
    That is what I do. However, in places like the league I'm unable to do that, so I simply try again, hoping for a better roll. That's even worse. Dewgong vs Pikachu, Uh. I simply hope it misses.

oreobytes's argument and the rest of your argument is about upsetting your game and some game data, that is not my point. My point is your own value. If someone could save every 3 mins in a baseball game to try again and another doesn't have to. Remember the person who can save every 3 minutes only has to start the previous 3 minutes again. The other has to start from the beginning again!

Who do you think is the better player? One because they're smarter or the other because they're better?

oreobytes

super de duper!
    Years
  • I hope nobody thinks I'm a saint here! I save and turn off before I try too...

Kenji-kun, you bring a good point:

That is what I do. However, in places like the league I'm unable to do that, so I simply try again, hoping for a better roll. That's even worse. Dewgong vs Pikachu, Uh. I simply hope it misses.

oreobytes's argument and the rest of your argument is about upsetting your game and some game data, that is not my point. My point is your own value. If someone could save every 3 mins in a baseball game to try again and another doesn't have to. Remember the person who can save every 3 minutes only has to start the previous 3 minutes again. The other has to start from the beginning again!

Who do you think is the better player? One because they're smarter or the other because they're better?

Well honestly i think story-mode doesn't really determine if you are a "good player" since a 7 year old can beat that with run-of-the-mill pokemon considering that's who pokemon games (the story-mode mostly) are made for to begin with. What REALLY tests your skill as a "better" player is VS against real people, and it's impossible for saving to be cheating in online battles...cuz it's another real person....
    There is cheating in real battles but you know what i mean, i'm talking about the "Saving is cheating" crap.
    Let's try to remember the digital data of NPCs in the game don't have a lot of AI, they are just programmed to battle you...not judge you as a person. Again, it's a game.
    So, everyone's examples about people saving IRL or something in baseball, basketball, whatever don't even make sense because the "people" in the games arn't REAL and in REAL battles (online battles with other people) you can't "save" like you do before battling NPCs. So it's fine to save in the end. It's playing it smart.

p.s. ...i would give anything for time travelling powers, really, "morally correct" or not... to be able to beat people at things or fix stuff! ha!

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
    Years
  • I know that you all are saying, yes it is cheating, I do it, and I say it isn't cheating, it is doing something the game was made to allow you to do. Unlike gameshark and actionreplay, you see, the GB GBC GBA and DS wernt made so that things like GS and AR would work, that is what I call cheating. Like glitches for example, if you won a battle by glitch it isnt cheating unless you cheated to get that glitch to work, otherwise it is something the game did on its own withought your control. And saving, although you are in control, cant be clased as cheating as the game and the makers incorage it.

Years
  • It is like cheating, but I don't find it horrible. I tend to do that sometimes.
    Although, I wouldn't go through the whole game doing that. It would get kinda annoying and boring after awhile.

eternalglory

Private Eye
    Years
  • if i were able to save in real life, i would do it. Having checkpoints would certainly make things a lot better. In a game, saving before some big event is just a precaution. And if something goes wrong and you go back to the save point, you've learned something new. Let's say we are playing Half Life, and oh, I sense a big battle with a Tentacle up ahead. First I'm gonna rush into the room... oh wait I died. Now I learned to go quietly through the room so that I can get through safely.
    So it's not cheating, its just a way of both being cautious and letting yourself try again and learn from mistakes.

NekoRobin

>______>
    Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2009
    I save before legendaries and before elite four, the other battles are so easy they don't need saving o.O

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • i do it before legendaries, sometimes gym leaders too. i never thought anything of it though and still don't think it's cheating, i think it's being smart hahaha

i agree its just a startagie theres no cheating invovled

Whoop Whoop ive passed 100 posts

oreobytes

super de duper!
    Years
  • It is like cheating, but I don't find it horrible. I tend to do that sometimes.
    Although, I wouldn't go through the whole game doing that. It would get kinda annoying and boring after awhile.

No actually it's far from cheating.
    Cheating in RPGs is using Gameshark or Action Replay, etc.

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    i save only in pokemon centers and before legendarys, the only times i'll save anywhere else is if i need to go out.

Back