• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you still play the older games?

S-MAN

Banned
Years
  • Or do you only play the new games? I recently bought a copy of Pokémon Leaf Green and have been playing it occasionally in the last week. I tend to go back to Gen 3 and 4 quite often when I feel like playing a Pokémon game again, since they are my favourite Gens in the series.

Still playing LG. Too bad I can't trade with you. I only have so many different OT names under my pokemon collection :-(
    Did you get into the sevii islands yet?

Last edited:

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • Yeah, I do! Generally though, it's either a themed playthrough (Monotype/Single Pokemon) or it's some form of hack or mod of one of the 1st or 2nd Generation games. I've got a playthrough of LG going at the minute but i'm not very far into it and already i'm struggling to motivate myself to continue.

Princess Diana

the people's princess
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I wish older games were more easily accessible. I know a few of them are on the 3DS but most of my gaming time is now dedicated to Switch rather than 3DS...

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I do play the older games! Provided I'm not too attached to my Pokemon to restart it, lol.

Bhima

Hackrom Improver/Remaker
    Years
  • I sadly only play hackrom versions of the original games, but I sure do replay them a lot (Specially Crystal, as it's one of the few I haven't 100%'d completely)! I've loved the new editions though. I'm happy sometimes switching between generations :)

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Yeah, actually. I've been playing Pokemon White 2 a lot lately, because I honestly don't like gen 6 & gen 7 is hard to pick up again once put down. I prefer the older Pokemon games from gen three to five, so those are the ones I usually revisit!

Sirfetch’d

all of the time. I love the current generation games but they do tire me from time to time so I enjoy going back to some of the classics, mainly Crystal.

User Anon 1848

Almost exclusively. I'll always try to play through at least one game per gen but nothing from 6th or 7th gen really pull me back too often. I spend most of my time bouncing back between gens 2 and 4. I wish I could play gen 3 again but I no longer having anything that can play my GBA cartridges. I don't want to use emulators either.

One day I hope Game Freak/Nintendo create a Pokestation (they'd have to call it something else obviously) that has all of the games from gens 1-5 installed, pretty much exactly like the NES/SNES/PS-minis did with their collections. It'd be even better if they included the most popular spin-off titles like the PMD and TCG games. Not sure how trading would work though unless they were portable. I guess I just want a Switch powerful enough to run all the older games.

Last edited:
    Years
  • 3DS era killed pokemon for me. I'm hoping Sword and Shield have actual content. Or difficulty. Been getting through my backlog which includes White 1 and 2, Blue, and Silver. I can safely say I miss Unova and wish most people didn't take it for granted.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2019
    The only Pokémon games I currently own are Red, Gold, and Silver. Two copies of Red, one of Gold (JP), and four of Silver (two US, two JP). Mainly for shells and MBCs to make flash carts from, though.

Years
    • Seen May 23, 2019
    i just went thru and replayed all of them yellow thru moon to re completely my living dex!!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Since I'm a sucker for nostalgia, I'll likely always come back and play Gen 2 every now and then. Those games just make me feel Good. And now I even have them on my 3DS. Thanks virtual shop!

Years
  • only main series I haven't played is HGSS (and I guess DP but I've done Pt)

RBY I've started on numerous occasions but got bored grinding so there's that.

Gold
    Ruby
    Fire Red
    Emerald
    B
    W2
    Y (ew bacon birdo)
    Omega Ruby
    Sun, Moon
    Platinum
    UltraMoon
    LGP

Planning on: HG, D, and Sw

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Considering that I haven't bought a Pokemon game since Y, I only play older Pokemon games.

I mostly play through Leaf Green and Y since I have multiple cartridges of those two games and I like staring at - I mean, leading Leaf and Serena to ultimate victory and glory. Yeah... ultimate victory and glory... that's it...

(I would also play through Pearl and/or Platinum again, but I only have one copy of those games and I have an emotional attachment to my old game files on them, and can't bring myself to do a restart.)

Back