• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

do you teach HMs to Legendary Pokèmon?

Moltres Rider

Banned
Years
  • Some people are against the idea of teaching a Legendary Pokèmon an HM. Do you teach Legendary Pokémon HMs? If so, what Legendary Pokèmon do you teach what HM???

I always teach Moltres 'Fly' , I teach Lugia and Latios 'Surf' sometimes I teach Mewtwo 'Strength'

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
  • On the rare occasion a legendary is on my in-game team I'll teach it a HM if I need to. In Emerald I used a Kyogre with Surf and Waterfall. In Platinum I taught Giratina Fly. In Black I had Reshiram know Fly as well.
    I'd avoid teaching the weak HM's to legendary Pokemon such as Cut and Rock Smash.

Sirfetch’d

I remember teaching the birds of Kanto Fly as well as Ho-oh. I also taught Kyogre and Latios Surf. Other than that I usually just use my HM slaves for HM moves.

Emburn

<3
    Years
  • Since Rayquaza already knows fly, that's a given. However, I taught Kyogre surf and I teach legendary fly because what's cooler than riding on a legendary?

d

Not really. I usually send the legendary pokemon to my box immideately, so I never thought about using them for HM's.

Years
  • Surf is useful, Waterfall possibly after Gen IV, Fly is alright, Strength is mediocre at absolute best, but others like Cut and Rock smash should be avoided at all costs.

Years
  • Sometimes yeah. I don't see the big deal since I can easily delete them later.. so unless they already have a pool of four good moves, I'd probably teach 'em if I had one in my party and didn't want to waste the slot of an official party member.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Occassionally - when I use a legendary pokémon in my team, its not exempt. Manaphy currently has Surf, but also uses Waterfall when required. Rayquaza actually comes with Fly as standard. But I'm pretty sure I ended up with a team on Black where Reshiram learnt Cut as it was the only one capable of it too.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
  • I'm against the idea that Pokémon have to be taught any particular moves. You can teach your Pokémon whatever moves you like to fit your own strategy. If we all played the games the same way it would be a really boring world.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I think the only legendary that I have ever taught an HM to was Suicune when I had it on my team in Crystal. I had taught it Surf then I preferred the reliability of surf than Hydro Pump then (and still kind of do at times). But other than that I've never really taught one an HM because I had other Pokemon to teach them to.

Years
  • I don't really teach HMs to Legendaries since I hardly even use them, but I may give Surf to a Water-type Legendary since it's always a great move to have on your Water Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I don't usually teach HMs to legendaries. To me, legendary Pokémon are like trophies... things that you safely keep in your trophy case, haha. xD Articuno in Pokémon FireRed was the only legendary Pokémon that I thought an HM to. At the time, Articuno was the only flying-type Pokémon I had, and I needed someone to use Fly for me.

Years
  • Rayquaza already has Fly so I just leave it :) and also Latios with Surf is pretty sick. I dont count Surf as one of the sh*tty HM moves. It is actually so good in battle. Strong and accurate. What more could you ask for?

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
  • I taught my Lugia how to whirpool back before the other HMs decided that whirpool ain't cool enough to be with them anymore. Don't know why, I just did.

Back