• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you use your Masterball?

Lynnth

Trollbat
    Years
    I try to avoid using it, relying instead on Pokeballs (a self imposed challenge I've been on since BW), but I had to end up using it in the Delta Episode, because hell with going through two battles and a cutscene just to try and catch that damn pokemon, and I couldn't be bothered rechallenging the E4 as well, so I ended up using the Masterball for the first time since Gen II.

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
    I like to try to catch everything in a Pokeball if possible, so I save my Masterball in case I find something like a shiny that I really want or a fleeing Pokemon I really want.

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    I tend to use the Masterball on the main legendary of that game, or most powerful.

Ie:

Pokemon RBY - Mewtwo
    Pokemon GSC - Lugia/Ho Oh
    Pokemon RSE - Rayquaza
    Pokemon DPPl - Dialga/Palkia/Giratina
    Pokemon B/W - Reshiram/Zekrom
    Pokemon B2/W2 - Kyurem since getting the initial legend is really easy...
    Pokemon XY - Mewtwo

The other subsidary Legends I just use the appropriate ball, for instance in HGSS I would use a Dusk Ball for Lugia.

Probably more in depth than needed :P

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
    Actually no i like to catch my legends in a plain pokeball or in gen 4 remakes i used the apricorn balls

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    The only Pokemon I generally use it on is Mewtwo, because he's a pain in the butt to catch, with his recovering shenanigans. Back in 3rd gen when I played Leaf Green, by the time I got to Mewtwo I didn't have my Master Ball. I spent about an hour trying to catch him because he kept recovering when I got his health low enough to catch. Finally, he ran out of PP, used Struggle, and KO'ed himself. From that day forward, I've always saved my Master Balls for Mewtwo.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
    I use it on the most powerful legendary in each game, because I don't find waiting through hours of Deoxys breaking out of pokeballs fun.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I only use a Master Ball on a roaming Legendary or a very high-leveled Legendary i.e. Deoxys.

Grotesque

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2014
    same

I never use it on intractable legendaries like Palkia, just for roaming legendaries.

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
    Years
    Nope never used mine no matter how hard it is to catch a certain pokemon. Ultra and Timer balls are my friends. Only reason I would use it is if I came across a shiny that could get itself out of battle.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
    I can't remember using my Master Ball since Gen III. I keep saying I'll use it for the next legendary, but then I catch the all the legendaries I can get in Ultra Balls or Timer Balls and end up not using my Master Ball. I think the only situation that I'll use my Master Ball in is if I find a Shiny. Especially if the Shiny is known for blowing itself up. Looking at you, Shiny Graveler.

Last edited:

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    Hmm, it really depends on the game. In gen 5 & 6 the first legends have really high catch rates (excluding oras), so i end up using them later on in the game. In the earlier gens, i usually use them right away. I always get scared of them killing themselves when the battle starts to drags on, so i end up caving.

Especially when i forget to save.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I can't remember using my Master Ball since Gen III. I keep saying I'll use it for the next legendary, but then I catch the all the legendaries I can get in Ultra Balls or Timer Balls and end up not using my Master Ball.

This is definitely how I've been the last few Gens (I even have an extra Master Ball on Y because of the lottery). I finally made an exception with Deoxys on Alpha Sapphire though, because of a combination of laziness after KOing it the first time after the long sequence and troublesome battle. Plus, that thing is my trophy now, being the oldest event legend that I've never been able to get until now. If I didn't use the Master Ball it would have just sat in my bag like always, as there is no quarry more fitting.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
    Last time I've ever used it is back at Gen III, back when I started my first Pokemon journey. Being the newbie I am, and the fact that I want to catch Kyogre fast, I used it immediately.

...and then I learned about Latias.

I've never used one since FRLG.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
    No, I don't use the Master Ball (except on one occasion in spoiler below), I like using more the Luxury Ball or the Heal Ball.
    For the Master Ball itself it will gather dust for ever. I have only used MB once on a shiny Mienfoo in Black 2
    Spoiler:

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
    I mostly save my master ball to catch the main pokemon of the game, like mewtwo in fr/lg, dialga in diamond and all, cause they are really mind boggling when it comes to catching them in ultra ball or great ball, first time I used it one moltres in fr and couldn't catch mewtwo in that game from then I started saving master ball to catch the main Pokemon

SparklingMistral

The #1 Remus Lupin fanatic!
    Years
    Nope. I just sorta let it sit in my bag to collect dust. The other balls work just as well. I'd probably make an exception if I saw a shiny legendary though since those are super duper rare. n_n I haven't regularly used a Master Ball since D/P/Pt, and that was only because I'd hacked extra balls in to use. Past those days now though.

Years
    I usually save it cos its so precious and all, but ever since I got it on Emerald, I cloned them so many times, it lost it's charm lol. So yeah, now I am using it since I can have as many as needed.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    It's very rare that I would use a Masterball now, because of the fact there is only one, but if there were more it would make catching pokemon too easy. I would only use the Masterball on the strongest legendary in the game.

pkmin3033

I have this habit of saving it, thinking "I might need it if the next Legendary is hard to catch." only to discover that, by the end of the game, I've caught all the Legendaries and I've STILL got my Master Ball. I've been doing this since the original third generation; the end result was that I had a ridiculous stock of Master Balls I never used. I always MEAN to use it, but I never get quite that desperate...

ChikoritaCheezits

The Green Leaf triumphs over all
    Years
    I barely use my master ball. Though if I were to use it, it would be on a roaming Pokemon since they are the most tedious to catch. Seriously, they can run even if you put them to sleep. Pokelogic, learn it, live it, love it.

Back