• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does anyone still tip waiters/waitresses?

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2016
    I just find it unnecessary to pay extra money for someone to bring me my food. Anyone else?

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
    Years
    That's how many waiters and waitresses make a lot of their money so I actually think it's pretty necessary xD also, it can improve services by rewarding the good waiters and punish the bad ones

Years
    I always tip my waiter/waitress. Tips are how they make most of their money. The minimum cash wage for tipped employees in the US is more or less around $3, I think. I would feel awful if I didn't leave a tip.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    I do. Most waiters/waitresses are given a small paycheck and are expected to make up for it with tips. They depend on that money. They "justify" it by offering exceptional service (or try to) but in the end most people tip because they know they should, not because they want to.

It's a stupid system, but not giving tips just hurts the waiter/waitress.

T The Manager

RealTalkRealFlow
    Years
    They make something like $2.30 an hour so their waiting tips makes up a majority of their pay, if their good at it. So I think it's wrong to walk out without giving someone a tip. I mean she could of just said screw everybody, I'm not gonna fill anyones drinks up or even ask to do so. But the tip I give depends on the quality of the waiter and the pricing of the food.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
    Years
    I always do. They work hard to make my time their enjoyable. If they aren't polite or a good waiter/waitress I'll give them a lower tip. Usually I give the better ones a higher tip.

Years
    I make a point of tipping my waiter/waitress very well. Took my gf to a nice dinner for Valentine's, and our server was an old friend of mine from grade school, and she recognized me, so she jumped ahead of the other waitress to help me/us. Gave her a $20 tip on an $60 dinner, haha.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I for some reason thought it was like a law or something when I was younger, so even today I don't think twice about leaving a tip or not.

Years
    I do tip, usually quite well. I'd tip $3-4 on an $8-10 meal (I go to an all-you-can-eat buffet) since I end up feeling way too guilty otherwise, haha. The buffet I go to is always busy and the waiters/waitresses are always running back and forth so I want to at least give them a little something for their work.

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2016
    I dont slap a 5 dollar bill extra for a mcdonald's worker. why should I for a waiter?

T The Manager

RealTalkRealFlow
    Years
    Because fast food employee's get payed min wage, waiters don't, they only get payed around $2.30 an hour which is little to nothing. It's courtesy for good service, that's all.

Years
    Fast food employees do not provide the same level of service as waiters/waitresses. Waiters provide hospitality to guests, manage several tables at once with food and other maintenance, and generally strive to provide a comfortable experience to the customer.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
    Yes, I always tip. They don't get paid nearly as much as other workers, they rely on those tips.

Years
    I've never been to a restaurant, but if I do go on my own, I'll probably tip them because I don't want to be a ****, basically.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    Fast food employees do not provide the same level of service as waiters/waitresses. Waiters provide hospitality to guests, manage several tables at once with food and other maintenance, and generally strive to provide a comfortable experience to the customer.
    This times 100. I really don't like it when I see people not tip waiters. I mean, I don't drop a 20 (although if I was had some really neat waiter, I'd honestly consider it, funds permitting), but I leave some form of tip every time.

Mystify

confused
    Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2020
    I always tip because the waiters and waitresses depend on it. I know of some places where if you're a regular and they know you're a bad tipper/don't tip at all, they will refuse to offer you any service.

Years
    I would never imagine not tipping. I work at one of my school's on-campus restaurants, and since we get paid minimum, we're not expected to be tipped, but I understand the work that goes into being a waitress and it's not easy, particularly when it comes to dealing with people. I always leave at least 15%, although it usually falls more in the 18%-20% range.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    Of course I tip. In many places, the minimum wage for waiters/waitresses is much lower than for any other workers because they're expected to make it up in tips. Which is absolutely ridiculous. But seriously, support them. They don't actually make a lot and those are pretty ****** jobs a lot of the time. My mom has always taught me that tip should be 20% of the bill before tax, subtracting or adding from there considering service quality. Minimum should be 10%, cause I mean who knows? Maybe they're having a terrible day and can't quite keep it in. Don't make their day worse. I usually go up to 30% because why not, right? If they're nice and I have money to spare, may as well do something nice like that.

It's not really about "owing" them anything. It's about keeping people's wages at a liveable standard and giving them a gift if you enjoy what they've done for you. It's not an obligation, but it's a decent thing to do.

Back