• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does anyone still tip waiters/waitresses?

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
    Wow, minimum wage for waiters in Montreal is 10$, which is the minimum for everyone else also o.o

Also, I do tip, because it's just a way og saying thank you for your hospitality and nice service. Ofc if the eaiter was being a douhebag with me, he can go to hell. I'll be keeping his tip.

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2016
    if waiters are upset about getting paid 2.30, then they should get another job and stop complaining

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
    if waiters are upset about getting paid 2.30, then they should get another job and stop complaining

I agree if they don't like the job then find a new one, but it's more about respect and common courtesy. They are practically being your ***** for the time your there, it's just respectful to tip them.

Years
    I think it's also mentioning that waiting is a very under-appreciated job that requires a lot of skills than one may think, such as memorizing menu, describing them, and face-to-face interaction with strangers. And it would be very rude not to leave a tip for their hard work, not to mention the little amount of money that they get paid. That being said, it also depends on how well waiter/waitress did, I guess. If they did a crappy job and was very rude, then they don't deserve the tip.

My initial comment was a bit sweeping, but that's my thoughts in this matter.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Are you being serious with this post? Because the job market out there is horrible. People have been trying to find a job--any job--for months, and there just aren't any out there. So a waiter can't just quit and expect to find a better-paying job in a matter of seconds. It's not like that these days, though there have been some improvements. It's just not enough.

Tip your server. The minimum wage for servers in my state is $5.69. That's half of what I'm currently making, and I can't even live on my own decently. Servers rely on these tips, and it's horrible to not tip them because you don't owe them anything. They're in these restaurants doing the best work they can in a position that's generally treated horribly by customers (because they're only making minimum wage so that means that they're not human and should be treated rudely, right?), and yet they still smile and give you the best service because they need these tips to have a life.

Tip your server. It's the decent thing to do.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Yes. I've been in the food industry environment for the majority of my life(either following my dad to work or actually working in the last couple of years) and the **** I've seen them go through is enough for me to empathize with them. I get into fights with people even when I leave a euro tip, because tipping here is usually just for the fat delivery guy, and not the girl who brings us our wine.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    From where I come from, its not a common sight to tip anyone at all. So I don't. Don't go hating on me, its just that we don't have the habit to do so.

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2016
    I'm new here, and so far, I hate it here. I'm still never going to tip. There has never been a waiter/waitress worthy of my money, in my opinion.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I for some reason thought it was like a law or something when I was younger, so even today I don't think twice about leaving a tip or not.

Same, it's pretty much customary to tip at least 15% where I live, I've never seen anyone not tip their waiters.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
    we do not tip here in my country because staff make enough on their checks. However I did tip someone when I was in America Atlanta GA.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    Excuse me? You have the audacity to say that to me, and you're a MODERATOR? How rude of you.
    I didn't call you a prick, last time I checked. I'm saying that that is legitimately what the waiter, as well as possibly anyone who notices the lack of tip, or continued lack of tipping, will possibly think. Put yourself in the shoes of a person who is working as a waiter. You essentially work for nothing, and survive off scraps and the tips you receive. And please don't be as ignorant as to say "get another job". Do you have any idea how difficult it is to land a decent job, with decent pay? Pretty damn hard.

So yeah, not tipping at all is just selfish, and you should think twice about it. If giving a little to others is a problem to your persona, but not one to your wallet, then you should really think twice. Be mindful of the fact that you're also expressing views that are clearly in the minority on a public forum, so people, not necessarily myself (cause truth be told, I really don't care what you do in your life), will create opinions on you. Negative opinions, if what you say doesn't agree with what they think. So yeah, I didn't call you a prick.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Same as the above - here in Australia the minimum wage is certainly higher than in the US, and there's no tipping culture or anything due to that. But if there was then yeah, I imagine I would tip.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    I'm new here, and so far, I hate it here. I'm still never going to tip. There has never been a waiter/waitress worthy of my money, in my opinion.

You hate it because people might disagree with you?

lol you must hate the real world, then...

--
    P.S. Welcome to the forums. Different viewpoints are part of the human experience buddy, best get used to it. And tipping, too, because God forbid you start working and can't find any job other than being a waiter and get 2.30/hr. Not sure you'll be so against tipping then :)

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    I tip when I get a notably good service, or if the food is exceptionally good, or if the final price is extremely weird and I'd rather round it up instead of getting a lot of small change. If you charge me an extra for "personal service" or "bread" though, I consider that my tip. And if I have to wait a lot, or the rations are too small, or (you name it), welp, no reason for me to tip you, I'm afraid.

Last edited:
    Years
    I tip waiters and waitresses. Their hospitality is certainly most welcoming every time I go out to eat, and I know for a fact that they do not make a whole lot of money off of their standalone paychecks. I don't care how experienced or inexperienced a waiter or a waitress is, or what their attitude is, I tip them because they provide service to me instead of me having to provide my own service.

And the fact that you're comparing tipping at a real restaurant to a fast food restaurant is absolutely atrocious. There is no way at all that McDonalds is like real restaurant. For one, as laready mentioned, their workers are payed at minimum wage, to where they don't have to work off of tips. And secondly, workers at McDonalds don't walk out to your table and deliver your food. And the workers at McDonalds don't walk up to you every now and then to see how you're enjoying your food either. So you need to be careful on what you compare certain things to, because some of these comparisons certainly are not valid.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    The way you're responding to me is quite out of line, for a mod. Most forums I've been on required people to respect others and their opinion. Animal Crossing Community (ACC), for example, has great moderation. A mod on ACC would've left the subject alone, and not told me that my opinion was wrong. If I choose to not tip, that's my choice, and I don't need to hear your opinion about mine. I regard a McDonald's worker and a waiter as the same type of employee, essentially, so if I should tip one, I should tip the other, but I don't. You cannot justify rudely calling me out by saying that my opinion is a minority opinion.
    I also don't care if you think my responses are insensitive. If people want a good job, they'll get one. I don't know of servers (thank God I don't know one) who dream of being servers, so that won't be a hard decision to quit. If I was a waiter, I'd quit and get a real job.

Now please, we're done here, Dakota, so leave me alone. Any further calling me out here or in private (even to apologize) will be considered harassment.

Please, if you have anything else to say about that issue from now on, keep it private, no need to hijack this thread any longer. Thanks.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    If people want a good job, they'll get one. I don't know of servers (thank God I don't know one) who dream of being servers, so that won't be a hard decision to quit. If I was a waiter, I'd quit and get a real job.

You can't honestly believe it's that easy to get another job (Do you have one? Are you above the age of 18?). And why does this make you so mad? The servers didn't ask for the tipping system.

I agree, the whole thing is kinda stupid, but you seem to be implying its the waiter's fault for being in that situation in the first place. That's not fair.

P.S. minority/majority opinion isn't insulting at all, take it easy man

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
    Years
    Here, we pay our waiter/waitresses. Which means they don't rely on tips to stay alive... in fact, it's illegal here to use tips to make up the salary of staff, I believe.

I will tip if it's a nice restaurant or if we had good service, but only 10%. I think that's why people think Brits are stingy in the US. Because we only tip for good service, and not to pay the wages of the workers, we don't need to tip less. The cost of their salaries is included in the meal.

Back