• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Does having the 3D on enhance the gameplay experience?

Do you normally play with the 3D on or off?

• On

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • Off

Votes: 55 83.3%
  • I play on a 2DS

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
  • So, since Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are 3DS games, we have the option to play with the 3D on--that is, the stereoscopic 3D function that the 3DS is capable of that's used to create the illusion of depth. There's a few 3DS games out there that work really well with the 3D on, but it works better in some games than others.

So, in ORAS in particular, would you say the 3D makes a big difference in the gameplay experience? Are there any 3D moments that you found particularly memorable? I thought the Primal Reversion sequence looked really good in 3D, because the way that the ruby/sapphire pops right out of the screen just makes the whole animation look much cooler!

Years
  • I never use the 3D. I feel like there's no point in using it since it doesn't work in most parts of the game due to not having 3D support.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Mar 2, 2017
    Like Hika said above, most of the game isn't 3D supported, so there isn't much use of it. I also found myself having to move my head to different angles, because it can look real weird if you aren't bang on straight with the DS.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Nope (and it's the same answer for XY). To be real honest, 3D (for Pokemon) is useless to begin with. Undeniably the graphics are great, But I would prefer if they put in more effort on the post-game and plot. (:

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    The 3D effect is very good on Pokemon but I rarely put it on because it still makes my eyes funny after a while.

Its massively improved on the NEW 3DS with the eye tracking but still cant use it for more than a few fights.

Nas160

Sometimes here...!
    Years
  • I never use the 3D. I feel like there's no point in using it since it doesn't work in most parts of the game due to not having 3D support.

Pretty much my view. That, and the fact that most of the time when the 3D is on, it cuts the frame rate. So, I don't bother most of the time. Sometimes I like to turn it on when viewing the different Pokémon models in the ORAS Pokédex, but other than that, that's it, really.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    there's too much slowdown on the 3D battles, unless you use either model of the New 3DS and a fan-made mod I heard about to take advantage of the better processing power. Not as bad as the slowdown on double, triple, rotation, and horde battles though, they even automatically turn off the 3D effects for those and it's still worse.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Aside from great scenery and pokedex, I pretty much just play without 3d setting on as it lags horribly when battling also bit dizzy when using it on battle.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • I love the idea of 3D, but on the older 3DS models the execution was terrible. You can't use it if you intend to use your handheld game device as a handheld.

I often play while rolling about my bed, and the 3D function doesn't like movement.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I actually never noticed the slow-down, although I can't say I've used it with the 3D on that often, so that's probably why I never caught it. That's not surprising though, since it basically has to render everything twice.

The New 3DS's "smart 3D" or whatever it's called definitely makes a difference, but it's still not perfect.

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2018
    I'm not a fan of 3D and my eyesight is pretty poor as it is, I tried it in the shops but it gave me a headache. I play on a 2DS and the game looks just swellow :)

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    there's too much slowdown on the 3D battles, unless you use either model of the New 3DS and a fan-made mod I heard about to take advantage of the better processing power.

This increases battery drain a lot, though.

I didn't bother with 3D because I don't like the effect anymore and when it does switch on the framerate tanks.

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    I have it turned off when I play my game. It drains my battery power faster and sometimes I play while it's charging. Also it makes me extremely dizzy to the point where I can't do anything at all and start feeling really sick.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2018
    No because it lags the already slow combat animation. Also having the 3D turn on and off every few minutes can be very nauseating.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    It's fine for N3DS since it have smarter 3D and way more processing power than regular 3DS. Regular 3DS however aren't capable much of it

Rantiki

Champion of SEN Children
    Years
  • This is an excellent topic as it's very informative. I read the post of people who haven't obtained a 3DS yet and wanted to play the new games quite heartbreaking, yet this does showcase how little the 3D functions of the new system are used.

I myself don't use it as I too find it induces nausea, however I am glad I bought the XL version as with my maturity my eyes aren't the best it makes it easier to play and read.
    I would say if you have young fit eyes that the large size and 3D aspect aren't as piviotal as you may imagine and while funds are low, a 2DS would be adequate for your needs.

Sarah

Hiro Aku

Grand Cyndaquil Trainer
    Years
  • On the new 3DS XL I own, I like using it but I get tired of it easily. I normally shut it off and then turn it on for special move effects or events in the game.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    I would use it, if it didn't make the framerate drop like a rock. The 3D kinda falls short on that aspect, which makes me kinda sad.

Back