• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Double Jumping and other things in games make no sense

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    So double jumping is something that's quite common in games, but it is flawed in logic: it's not physically possible. Seriously, where is the logic behind characters jumping, and then jumping again in mid-air? It defies physics. I'm not saying I want it removed nor am I saying games should have to be accurate to real life, I'm just saying it doesn't make sense based on the laws of physics.

What are some other things you see in games that make no sense by defying physics and/or logic?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    May be able to merge these since they're quite similar. c: But that one's a few days from being a dead thread anyway.

Anyway, I don't know if this counts since it doesn't defy physics or anything (just seems rather impractical to me), but something that's been bugging me lately is dual wielding anything in games, or movies for that matter. People generally have one dominant hand, so I would think having another weapon in your less dominant hand would lower accuracy and performance in general, since you'd have to focus a lot harder to land hits. It doesn't seem like a very efficient idea in real life.

And I don't know a whole lot about guns, but isn't their some recoil even in handguns, even when you hold one with both hands?

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    Your every day pistol whose bullets can travel way farther than 50 meters. Little trees blocking your way. People being able to transform back and forth into smaller things without any problems. Magic in general. Being able to hit your sword against a wall continuously without denting it. Quadratic world maps (or rather the world perfectly fitting into one). Mario being able to jump really high (well it makes sense if the gravity in Mushroom Kingdom isn't as high as ours...).

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Your every day pistol whose bullets can travel way farther than 50 meters. Little trees blocking your way. People being able to transform back and forth into smaller things without any problems. Magic in general. Being able to hit your sword against a wall continuously without denting it. Quadratic world maps (or rather the world perfectly fitting into one). Mario being able to jump really high (well it makes sense if the gravity in Mushroom Kingdom isn't as high as ours...).

Oh, your post just reminded me of another one: Invisible Walls. Seriously, at least bother to put some sort of wall, don't just leave an out-of-bounds area that is only inaccessible because of an invisible wall.

Oh, and also, the evil character waiting to kill/attack the main protagonist. This is very common in movies as well. They will stand there about to kill them but then some coincidental event just happens to kill/knock them away just before they attack, because for some reason they stand there before they do anything.

Oh, and another thing. A boss getting more powerful with each hit they sustain. I know the idea is that they're getting angrier, but many times it just doesn't make sense because they should be getting weaker from getting hit by what is usually a very poweful attack, not stronger. This is quite common in the Mario games.

Years
    #1: Giant boss falls, no crater.
    #2: Bullets to some guys knees and/or balls. Blood stains, yes, but walks all normal like after.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    Oh, and another thing. A boss getting more powerful with each hit they sustain. I know the idea is that they're getting angrier, but many times it just doesn't make sense because they should be getting weaker from getting hit by what is usually a very poweful attack, not stronger. This is quite common in the Mario games.

I like to think that it's not only getting angrier, but also taking the enemy more seriously and also getting more desparate, like how your enemy will begin the battle by using spells that you know, but using them a lot better than you just to show off, then using more powerful things when they start feeling like you might be a problem, and then when they're close to death they use all of their willpower and strength to call forth meteors to **** your ****.

One thing that doesn't make sense is in a lot of games you're just a basic *****, and then somehow a whole bunch of **** just magically goes down and forces you to become a badass. If we're talking about things no being realistic, let's just kill off half of the video gaming industry.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Well I immediately thought of something Bethesda RPGs do: sneak attack criticals. I don't very well understand how attacking an enemy that hasn't detected me results in a critical hit solely from the detection factor. Like if I'm going to put an arrow in someone's neck I'm going to do it anyway; it's not like they can realistically react to the thing.

I can appreciate the justification that an unalert enemy is going to be easier to land a well-aimed shot upon, and that an undetected marksman has the time to adopt a good shooting position and aim carefully. Still, it would be nice for locational damage to be a thing instead, like if my shot lands in an unarmoured part of their body, they're injured, and if it hits their armour, probably not a lot happens.

Instead, the matter is decided by some numbers, which one can't necessarily fault an RPG for, but with the combat system's move over the course of the Elder Scrolls series to a more active and skill-based style (compare melee in Skyrim to Morrowind), where and how the player lands blows seems to me like it should be more important than whether their sword is +1 or +5. It's like we're in an uncanny valley of gameplay mechanics being number-based but requiring a degree of active input none the less. Maybe that's a happy balance for many players, but I find it quite odd given thought.

Your every day pistol whose bullets can travel way farther than 50 meters.
    You ever played STALKER? Ballistics are pretty cool in that. You can shoot a pistol tracer down a road and watch it drop, then ricochet into the sky as it glances the surface. I recall hitting someone round a corner with an AKS-74u after reading how the description says it has a propensity for such things in close quarters due to the large calibre and low muzzle velocity.

This reminds me actually: shotguns and flamethrowers. If I recall correctly, the former should be effective at anything up to 100–200 metres if the barrel is reasonably long, and the latter around 25 metres, but they almost never are. Halo CE and Crysis make good examples of shotguns done right. Flamethrowers however never are; they're far more like water guns than aerosols, but always treated as the latter.

Last edited:

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    I'm surprised people haven't said drowning in water because the main character can't swim. I'm looking at you, early Assassin Creed games...

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    One thing that doesn't make sense is in a lot of games you're just a basic *****, and then somehow a whole bunch of **** just magically goes down and forces you to become a badass. If we're talking about things no being realistic, let's just kill off half of the video gaming industry.

This reminds me of a quest I just did in an MMO yesterday that I thought was so silly. I'm a trained fighter, high-ish level, all the NPCs tell me I'm way stronger than them and ask me to do things. A woman asks me to go beat up her abusive husband to get him to sign the divorce papers. He starts fighting me and just by punching puts up a really good fight and I have to kite and such to beat him. He's just a drunk in some town! I know for game purposes they don't want to give you quests that are as easy as that should have been, but it made zero sense.

welsknight

That Youtuber Guy
    Years
    Just a few off of my list...
    -fully automatic weapons that don't melt after putting hundreds of rounds through them without stopping (looking at you, CoD)
    -any health system where you take cover and are magically healed, as if the near-fatal damage never happened
    -weapons that have unrealistic magazine/bullet capacity
    -instantly dying from touching water

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    This reminds me of a quest I just did in an MMO yesterday that I thought was so silly. I'm a trained fighter, high-ish level, all the NPCs tell me I'm way stronger than them and ask me to do things. A woman asks me to go beat up her abusive husband to get him to sign the divorce papers. He starts fighting me and just by punching puts up a really good fight and I have to kite and such to beat him. He's just a drunk in some town! I know for game purposes they don't want to give you quests that are as easy as that should have been, but it made zero sense.

Maybe the booze gave him a strength bonus. =p

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I'm surprised people haven't said drowning in water because the main character can't swim. I'm looking at you, early Assassin Creed games...
    That makes me think: why is Ezio Auditore the only man in all of Italy that can swim? Any other character who so much as touches water dies, yet Ezio can swim all day, erry day, and with armor and weapons equipped too. Surely there's at least one other person in all of Italy who knows how to swim a little bit?

And one I thought of:
    How in some FPS games, you can have a dozen bullets pumped into you, and as long as you don't die, you'll be completely fine if you just wait a bit. Makes no sense at all. People don't have super regenerative powers, getting shot should effect you in some way. You don't take 3 rounds to the arm and expect it to be completely fine and functioning normally after sittin' there twiddling your thumbs for a minute.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    Double jumping makes me feel like Sanji from One Piece.
    Double Jumping and other things in games make no sense

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2015
    I'm surprised no one has said infinitely respawning enemies. It makes the game a lot easier if you're looking for drops but it makes no sense logically.

Lord Scalgon

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
    Years
    Not to forget to mention Safer Sephiroth's Supernova attack.

Destroys the entire galaxy, and yet the heroes aren't disintegrated (even if they have 1 HP).

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    Carrying an entire armory's worth of weapons in your backpack. Some characters don't even have a visible bag or anything, gotta wonder where they're keeping all their potions/money/huge swords and guns.

Lee Everett in TWD keeps everything in his back pocket. Even the blow torch.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Carrying an entire armory's worth of weapons in your backpack. Some characters don't even have a visible bag or anything, gotta wonder where they're keeping all their potions/money/huge swords and guns.

I've always loved that one. There's a lot of really ridiculous ones, but that's almost always been amusing, lol.
    Like in Fallout; you can carry around several fat mans and miniguns, a fully stocked kitchen's worth of pots and pans, and have an entire refrigerator on your back to boot.. and yet you could run off in your underwear and never see any of these things.

Or when they're actually given a pack that you can properly organize, like the attache case in RE4.. but Leon never physically holds it. My immersion.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017

That actually has a name, it's called Hammer Space.

Funny how that works. Like, for example, Link in OoT is unaffected by the weight of the Iron Boots while carrying them, but while wearing them he is extremely heavy. And characters don't seem to actually have room to store large or many objects, yet they do so anyway.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years

My rl friend Gordon used to say that Gordon Freeman (yes it was mildly ironic coincidental) carried his weapons up his butt, lol!

Back