• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Driving in the snow

T The Manager

RealTalkRealFlow
Years
  • Yep, winter is soon to be upon us and where I'm at there's officially an inch or 2 on the ground meaning slick roads and more dangerous driving conditions, yay.. Not... Soooo, for those that live in areas that get snow and or a good amount how do you approach driving in the snow? Do you drive safer? Do you drive like a ravaged maniac like most of the people here? Or do you just not prefer to drive at all because idiotic drivers skills seem to shine in the snow so you'd rather not risk getting hit by a careless driver that thinks they're 4x4 is immortal? What do you guys think of careless drivers and what do you think of drivers that drive too safe?

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
  • Downpour here. You cannot see any single thing at 10m distance. Floods everywhere. Recently there was a terrible land slide occured and cut the highway link.

For me snow driving and raining driving are almost same. Reckless driving just kills you. I rather just drive slowly because safety first!

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Yeah I could care less about the reckless drivers, I'm more worried about me hitting something/someone, even though I'm usually really careful. It's a scary thing when you're hitting the brakes but the car's not stopping

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I swear to God people are MUCH more stupid drivers when the snow falls. They act and drive like they've never seen snow before. We just about about a good 8 inches here in Michigan and dear lord the accidents.

T The Manager

RealTalkRealFlow
    Years
  • @Flushed. You don't want to use your brakes too much, especially going downhill. You ease off the gas petal and very carefully downshift from OD to 2nd then when you hit about 10-15 mph downshift to 1st. If you do this going to fast tho, you'll risk losing control so use common sense. That will give you more traction on the road and you also wanna put the transmission (auto and manual) in 1st when you start moving then work your way up to OD.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • I honestly just like to stay out of it because I get frustrated easily when my car won't go anywhere :P

Lunarose

replaced by lies
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2020
    I don't drive yet but I'm learning.. hopefully snow won't be too bad this year. I'd probably drive like a grandma. Actually if it snowed I'd probably stay off the roads entirely, that's for another year when I'm more experienced :/ trying to get all my practice done soon.

T The Manager

RealTalkRealFlow
    Years
  • Alright guys so it was like 7 degrees last night (yep surprise surprise) so the roads were extremely slick and I almost ran off the road twice due to black ice but I managed to keep control of my car without going off the road. Had a friend that got in an accident last night but she's okay. The first snowfall and it's already been a disaster and just to think there's 5 more months of this crap....

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
    Years
  • I live in MN. When I first learned to drive it was in the winter. In a crap four door car. With rear-wheel drive.

I now have a rather large SUV, a pickup, and a luxury vehicle. I can handle winter no problem. Most born and bred Minnesotans can. The only part I don't want to deal with is stupid people, and warming up/cleaning off my car every morning. (Though remote start is a huge help.)

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    My area just got about a foot of snow yesterday so, I've been avoiding the roads lol. We usually build up with winter driving, like we'll only have an inch of two on the ground until mid-December, but our first snowfall this year was a major winter storm so it just got slammed on us completely suddenly, and people drive recklessly enough as is when it first snows, let alone when it's a winter storm.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Luckily I have a very short drive to work, so I'm hoping I can avoid most of the trouble this year. I have a truck, so I normally don't struggle too much in the snow, although I'm a very cautious driver. I learned how to drive while it was snowing, so it's not that big of a deal, but I still get scared whenever I have to drive in the snow. I try to avoid it when I can, but that's not possible all of the time.

Back