• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
Procrastinator's Club? Hmm, though I update my stories relatively quickly, said updates only really occur when I'm trying to get my mind off of really important stuff that I have to do. (summer reading, lol.)

Count me in!

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2011
XD Aww. Well, as long as you post every once in awhile to show us you're still moving, we won't throw you on the death cart when the guy comes along and shouts "BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!"

Okay, I'm tired. That was a terrible reference to Monty Python.

But I'm not dead! -shot-

Add me next.

I am usually hit by the lazy streak. I am on the computer almost every hour I am awake, and not doing anything else, but I still do not wire much, I am now half done with my part on the corpse. x_x I'll work on it some more before I go to bed.

...I totally forgot about the corpse. I hope school evens out before I get it, o.O Next week should be much less hectic.

I blame people focusing too much on silly stuff like trainers and their gym journeys and all. Yes, wanting to be a Pokémon trainer ourselves is probably the reason all of us started writing, but you don't have to restrict yourself to standard fare all the time. Live a little, broaden your imagination and see what all can be done with the world of Pokémon.

Quote for truth.

txteclipse, I should really stop reading your posts. Clearly, you're a bad influence.

*hands you a cookie*

AHAHAHA!! -joins-

I haven't written a chapter of Fuega in months. About four.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
I see your two, three and four months and raise you the six months it took me to write chapter 34 of The Quest for the Legends.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Guess I'm out for this club... my biggest (intentional) delay in chapter posting was three weeks and some odd days. The only time Ive delayed a chapter longer was during a hiatus from the forum altogether.

Updating and posting my fic on THIS forum, that's another story altogether XD

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
Years
kcander90 said:
You are really long winded, or would it be long keyboarded *dies*

The Blade Liger is cool, but I want a red one or Liger Zero.
Heh, I do tend to talk a lot on forums in threads such as these when I have multiple stuff to respond to in one post, and especially if some of that stuff are questions asking details about myself and how I go about doing things (such as when I come back after a long time and answer several topics at once <_<)

And there are models of the red Blade Liger :O The standard model isn't all that hard to find as it was the normal Blade Liger release in the US, and eventually a limited edition in Japan. Hell, there's a whole boatload of Blade Ligers in various colors, including a black version which is also cool. There will even be a limited HMM version of the Red Blade Liger which...I really want. I originally planned on getting it, but after it came time for me to budget out money for textbooks and the extra fees for my single dorm room and other fees I have to pay for school...argh! I have no moneys!

Jax Malcolm said:
*sigh* You know, I agree with you, but given the abundance of cookie-cutter OT stories, sometimes, I have to wonder if this fandom's really capable of it. It's a shame, though. A lot of writers seem to be writing inside the box when the Pokemon fandom is one of the few that I know of that are built with loose enough canon, massive enough world, and an abundance of options to let a writer wander off the beaten paths. I mean, for goodness sake, we don't even actually have a set cast of canon characters, unlike fandoms like Harry Potter, where you just know who the main characters are. Pokemon encourages us to create something new and different without having to explain, "Oh, this takes place forty years after the main characters with my OC being a descendant of this CC, so that's how this fic is related!"
Well, when it comes to canon characters you really need to factor in that a lot of people who want to write a fanfic probably see the anime as the main canon and go with that. They may enjoy the games, but really, there's not much you can do with the game characters since there's not much to them. You have to pretty much create them from scratch, and a lot of authors, namely younger, newer ones are afraid of that. Meanwhile you have the anime which is who knows how old and has a core cast of characters that are decently characterized, providing a basis for the beginning author to build off of without needing to do too much work themselves. And then regardless of which canon the author chooses to follow, there's the natural allure of their own character being a Pokémon Trainer and doing what they themselves want to do, as I mentioned before.

Take a look around forums like here and Serebii and you'll see that the large majority of authors are young, beginners, and quite honestly not that good at it. It's those people who flood the fandom with all the generic fics about anime characters and boring generic journeys. The few authors who actually managed to advance past those stages are more likely to be more inventive, but even then some may like to stay within their comfort zone and do just what they know they can do.

As for absurd things like "ZOMG, he's Ash's son!" I think that's partially shipper fantasy and a desire for their own character to be someone important in the world immediately without needing to work for it like all other characters.

Jax Malcolm said:
Yep. Can't argue here. Either that, or they're terrified of branching out. I mean, you've got OT stories with over 9000 positive reviews, and the other writers think, "Wow! If I do the same thing, I'll get tons of awesome feedback!"
Exactly, that's why I have a sort of grudge against Saber's Pokémon Revelation over at Serebii, and I know I'm not the only one. From what I've seen the beginning chapters aren't even very well written although the end does get somewhat better. The plot is through and through a standard journeyfic, yet everyone seems to go "ZOMG, the characters! The characters make the whole fic!"

Yeah, I don't know about other people, but while characters are very important to a story, a fic that relies completely on them so much that they overshadow subpar writing and plot just doesn't deserve the massive fanbase Revelation has.

And I know that Saber inspired who knows how many young, terrible authors to write their own equally terrible journeyfics inspired by Revelation. Hell, I remember seeing more than one that were complete rip-offs. And that, folks, is why a subpar fic gaining way more praise than it deserves is bad.

If there're any readers of Revelation here that I just offended...sorry. <_< I've just always puzzled over with how bad of a start that fic had, how it managed to get so many readers yet numerous other fics with far better beginnings that are just overall much better are so overshadowed. Apparently the problem isn't just with writers not wanting to think outside the box, it's readers too who refuse to read anything imaginative.

Jax Malcolm said:
To tell you the truth, it reminds me of a campy sci-fi novel, like I expect the cast of Star Trek to be involved.
It reminds me of numerous other fics with similar titles, most of which are mediocre to downright awful. There's this new fic that's popped up on Serebii recently, The Lauren Chronicles, which is really quite lackluster but with a very persistent author and numerous fans who see...I have no idea what. I don't like looking at my own fic and seeing something so similar with the title. DX

That's why I like TRINITY. Simple, short, effective. Especially when it manages to stay capitalized unlike on Serebii... I need to get a mod to edit that thread title and change it to "TRINITY (Rated PG-14)" or something... In its own way TRINITY also seems kind of campy, though, but hey, what can you do?

Jax Malcolm said:
Oddly enough, while I've heard of Zoids, I've never actually seen it. Travesty, Y/N?
If you like any combination of mecha, animals, giant guns (especially in the original series where there's the Gravity Cannon which fires what are basically miniature black holes in that it creates an immense gravity field that implodes anything near it. Dear lord, that thing is overpowered. Naturally it's still not powerful enough to destroy the villains), or overdramatic fight scenes with plenty of exaggerated movements and repeated stock footage it's definitely something you should see! :D

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
That's why I like TRINITY. Simple, short, effective. Especially when it manages to stay capitalized unlike on Serebii... I need to get a mod to edit that thread title and change it to "TRINITY (Rated PG-14)" or something... In its own way TRINITY also seems kind of campy, though, but hey, what can you do?
I wouldn't say that the title "TRINITY" seems campy. It wouldn't happen to be an homage to the Infocom game "Trinity," would it?

Wait a minute, what are you doing in the FFL? Get writing that story, I wanna see what happens!

Bay

Years
Exactly, that's why I have a sort of grudge against Saber's Pokémon Revelation over at Serebii, and I know I'm not the only one. From what I've seen the beginning chapters aren't even very well written although the end does get somewhat better. The plot is through and through a standard journeyfic, yet everyone seems to go "ZOMG, the characters! The characters make the whole fic!"

Yeah, I don't know about other people, but while characters are very important to a story, a fic that relies completely on them so much that they overshadow subpar writing and plot just doesn't deserve the massive fanbase Revelation has.

And I know that Saber inspired who knows how many young, terrible authors to write their own equally terrible journeyfics inspired by Revelation. Hell, I remember seeing more than one that were complete rip-offs. And that, folks, is why a subpar fic gaining way more praise than it deserves is bad.

If there're any readers of Revelation here that I just offended...sorry. <_< I've just always puzzled over with how bad of a start that fic had, how it managed to get so many readers yet numerous other fics with far better beginnings that are just overall much better are so overshadowed. Apparently the problem isn't just with writers not wanting to think outside the box, it's readers too who refuse to read anything imaginative.

I'm not offended. :)

Well, IMO I don't think Saber's fic is that badly written. At least the writing style at the beginning is much better than the other beginnings of OT fics. Not only that, she has improved her writing style and thus one of the reasons why I like that story. I get what you're saying though on how there are probably a few fics better than Saber's but they're overshadowed and a few fics suddenly got inspired by that story. Sometimes I too would like to see a story that's not OT.

Hah, sometimes I have this thought if NE is an epic OT fic instead of a mystery/suspense I might get more readers. XD

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
Years
I'm with you on that Saber's stuff isn't that great. I read the first part of the most recent installment, and I wasn't terribly impressed. However, I really don't agree with the idea that subpar fiction causing a lot of eager, yet incompetent, writers to take to the field is bad. Everyone has to start somewhere; certainly I was terrible when I first started writing. But if I had never started, then I never would have become even passable at what I was trying to do. Yes, it's a problem if a writer is so fixated on one other author that they never branch out and try their own things, especially if they're emulating something that's not particularly good; but at the same time, there will be some who grow, improve, and become fine authors in their own right. I might prefer that people choose a more inspiring piece of inspiration before choosing to write, but I'd rather have more new writers than fewer. Most will never advance beyond the level of crap, but there are some that will, and if they had never begun, then I'd never have the pleasure of reading them.

If we want to see good writers, we have to see bad ones first. I don't think it really matters whether they were inspired to write by a piece of mediocre fanfiction or by the greatest masterpieces of all time. So would I prefer that well-written fanfiction get more love? Absolutely. But does that mean that I have to begrudge the number of people who get excited and try their hand at writing bad fanfiction after reading something that wasn't so great? Absolutely not. I think we all remember books or 'fics we used to love before we really got into writing ourselves, whereas now we look back on them and have to wince at how bad they are. Again, we were all terrible newbie writers once, but rather than trying to reduce the number of these that apply, I think we should try to encourage the ones that do to grow and develop into good authors.

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2011
-shrugs- My first Pokemon fanfiction was a truly horrendous Suefic/Journeyfic hybrid. Later it became just a Suefic. But I revised, I learned, and eventually I figured out what was and what was not good in the realm of Pokemon fanfiction. And Fuega came out of an embarressed attempt to offset my original crappiness, so...I'm not complaining. *^^*

Point is, everyone starts somewhere, and that somewhere is usually really bad. It's the writers who never try to get past the starting line that are the problem.

Bay

Years
I find the concept of which fics are better very interesting. I don't know, to me I don't really think you can distingiush between good and bad fics that well. True, some easy pointers would be if the story has a lot of grammar mistakes, pacing bad, etc. However, if we compare two fics together and both are written fine, perphaps one person might think fic A is better while the other person might think fic B is. True, experience in reading fics might help, but in the end I guess it's all down to taste and what you're really looking for in a fic.

As for me, I know I had trouble writing the first time I started in the fanfic business. Now though, I think I'm getting better at it, though I still have a lot to learn.

And oh, everyone-- I'm at the moment in the process of rewriting the first few chapters of NE, grammar wise. However, I'm doing it at another forum first. So yeah, after finished with that will transer the corrections here. ^^

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I've never read Saber's fic and I'm certainly not intending to after you fine, respectable members of society have given it the thumbs down. I do have a question about it though; do the reviewers who go near the fic in question tend to be, well, not exactly proper reviewers?

Anyways, I came up with a new topic for this thread after getting attacked about the Pokemon anime in another thread a couple of minutes ago.

If the anime writers wanted to base an episode/movie on your fan fic, would you give them the rights to?

Yeah, I know how unrealistic the question is, but I'm asking for the fun of it.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
If the anime writers wanted to base an episode/movie on your fan fic, would you give them the rights to?

Rights to, um... seeing as they own the rights to pokemon, and my fic is about pokemon, do I even have a choice?

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2011

I'll run through my various fanfics...

My Name Is Fuega : Wow...epic YES. xD I mean, Fuega as a movie? That would be wicked!!

The Sixth Warrior : ...Maybe...I think it would flow better as a TV show than as a movie.

The Delta series : -spazz- HOLY FUDGE YEAH!!!

Any of my various oneshots : No. They're crappy. o.o

Bay

Years

I would. ^^ On the other hand though, I think NE as more as a short TV series. ^^;

IceDragon2439

Stand Up and Scream
Years

I would definitely. For Searching, yeah because I think it would be good as a series.

My other few stories, that I haven't posted up ever, I see as a TV show, sort of like the anime.

And for my first fic up here, I saw it as a movie.

Overall, as I write my stories, I picture them if they were in the anime form. That's just the way I picture things. Life itself, I picture as a show sometimes but thats just me.

Golden Riolu

Finally Back
Years
Yoyos.

Okay, that is probably the weirdest entrance I've ever made.

Do you tend to write ideas and/or first drafts of your stories in notebooks or do you use Microsoft Word or a similar program all the time?

Usually I turn on my computer when I get an idea, but occasionally I'm not around one and I just scribble it on whatever's handy. My homework almost met the same fate the other day.

*Snorts with laughter* Yeah, like I'd be good enough for that?

Seriously, though, if one of my personal favourites was made into an episode, something like If You Ever Care (I'll post it here one day, I promise), I'd have to say yes but I'd be breathing down their necks to make sure they did every little thing right.

(I blame a friend of mine for getting me on a Vulpix obsession. They're crunchy.)

^^ And that friend of yours is the best thing that ever happened to the world. *Stares dreamily out the window*

~Golden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back