• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm in work and don't have the time to argue. So I'm not even going to bother, because it won't make any difference. I'm just going to back out of this. It's not worth it.

The rest of you have fun though.

Buoysel, while I was exploring the Edit Options, I noticed an option that read 'Ignore Post Formatting', so maybe that can help?
    Doesn't work. I've had that box checked ever since it was first introduced, and it doesn't work.

1.) I can change the color of my font if I like, but I really don't see what the problem is because my font's color is black... IE: The board's basic setting. >_>
    Black isn't the board's basic setting. The default font color changes depending on what skin one uses. So using a dark skin, like Midnight Misty Revived means that no one can read any post deliberately written in black (or any dark font). I can read it because I bounce between two skins with white post boxes. But once I switch to a dark-colored skin, I can't read posts written in dark font.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Black isn't the board's basic setting. The default font color changes depending on what skin one uses. So using a dark skin, like Midnight Misty Revived means that no one can read any post deliberately written in black (or any dark font). I can read it because I bounce between two skins with white post boxes. But once I switch to a dark-colored skin, I can't read posts written in dark font.
    Well I don't know if black is meant to be the system default or not, but every single one of my settings are set to "System Default". My current skin is Arceus with a space theme on the sides. Your font is black for me, and I can read it perfectly, as I can for all the other people using black fonts (myself included). Even the guy that told me not to use my color font is using the same font style and color as me, so I don't know what the problem is.

Dagzar

The Dreamer
    Years
  • Well I don't know if black is meant to be the system default or not, but every single one of my settings are set to "System Default". My current skin is Arceus with a space theme on the sides. Your font is black for me, and I can read it perfectly, as I can for all the other people using black fonts (myself included). Even the guy that told me not to use my color font is using the same font style and color as me, so I don't know what the problem is.
    Do you write your posts in a writing program before you actually post them? Because that'll make your posts turn out black all the time, as I know. Either way, there's a Remove Text Formatting button on the left side of the post box. Highlight your post, click it, and all the formatting problems will be solved, if you want to make sure your post can be read by others.

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • Telling your kid that they suck and pointing out everything that's wrong isn't going to entice them into continuing working. Legitimate criticism comes later. My mom did the same thing, but when I was old enough she started telling me what issues there was in my work.

In any case, saying no one but those that know of writing can give good advice is rather ignorant, considering the vast majority of people that buy books and read don't know how to write any better than most that get published. The key difference is they know what they like to read and aren't blinded by the technical details.

The first part I can agree with. To the second part: sorry, but no.

If you watch a dance performance without knowing anything about dancing, of course you can give a perfectly valid opinion. You know whether you liked it or not, and you know whether it looked good or not. So, yes, the opinion is valid, even if you don't know any technical details.

However, if the said dancer asks you some advice on how to make a certain part of the dance more smooth and less awkward, can you honestly give them a valid piece of advice? No. And the dancer wouldn't trust your advice, either. Technical details, as annoying as they can be sometimes, are something you need to know to
    1) give valid advice
    2) explore.

So, let's go through that once more. Opinions by people who don't know much about the thing they're commenting on are very much valid. Their advice, not so much. Also, opinions =/= advice, even though opinions can also be highly helpful.

Also, your post had colour tags on them. How did those get in if you just used the default? Also, of course our posts will show up just like yours in your end, because the skin you're using makes them like that. We all use different skins, and black is not the default text colour on all of them. Please be more considerate of people with this, mmkay? It's not nice having to highlight the text to be able to read it.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • I would have to say that you definitely don't have to be a writer to help a writer write (say that five times fast). Sure, if it's all about grammar or whatnot, then yeah, you're going to want to talk to a writer or editor about it. However, if it's about plot or character development or world building or historical accuracy or what orgies smell like, you can ask anyone that has expertise on the subject. For instance, I constantly talk to my mom about character development, because she's a social worker who evaluates whether crazy people should be locked up for a living, and therefore has quite a bit of insight on personalities. Fellow engineers or scientists can tell me whether one of my sci-fi ideas sounds plausible or ridiculous. And then there's the all-powerful reaction, but that's been covered already. All of these are just as, if not more, beneficial than grammar correction and such.

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • I would have to say that you definitely don't have to be a writer to help a writer write (say that five times fast). Sure, if it's all about grammar or whatnot, then yeah, you're going to want to talk to a writer or editor about it. However, if it's about plot or character development or world building or historical accuracy or what orgies smell like, you can ask anyone that has expertise on the subject. For instance, I constantly talk to my mom about character development, because she's a social worker who evaluates whether crazy people should be locked up for a living, and therefore has quite a bit of insight on personalities. Fellow engineers or scientists can tell me whether one of my sci-fi ideas sounds plausible or ridiculous. And then there's the all-powerful reaction, but that's been covered already. All of these are just as, if not more, beneficial than grammar correction and such.

You're very much correct. However, the kind of advice I was referring to was stricktly writing advice. You know, there's more to technical writing, especially with fiction, than just grammar. There are sentence structures, there are passages, there's repetitiveness and redundancy to be avoided, there is persistent awkwardness that is very hard to get rid off. In those cases, you really need advice from someone who has some technical knowledge of writing specifically.

Of course, like you said, with fiction, a lot of the issues have to do with the contents instead of the actual writing. In those cases, it's naturally best to refer to someone with special knowledge on those fields, like in the example you had with your mother and her insight on personalities. Or, say, if I wanted to write a story that happens during the Second World War, I'd probably ask my dad since that's his area of expertise.

You have to keep in mind, though, that writing is not only about the contents, but the presentation, i.e. technical writing, as well. And with the presentation, like I said, some writing-specific advice is needed if you want to get better.

But, yeah. Sorry for being a bit vague there, and thanks for making me specify. :3

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • The reason I am asking about the Skype: Solovino and I where talking about it the other day when the FFL came up, I got the idea that maybe we should see how many people here have an account and would be willing to attend a "Conference Call" of sorts, basically a chat room with voice.
    I seriously doubt that I'd attend seeing as I'm all for anonymity on the net. Also, I find it incredibly uncomfortable when I have to actually hear your voices, not that I don't think you're human, but because I'm slightly OCD and I don't like a change in pattern, as in, you guys actually speaking. Speech is vague, the written word is more accurate and concise. I'm game for a text chat-room though.

Please don't change the color of your font, it makes it hella hard to read when using a dark theme. (You too LeSabre)
    While I do occasionally get annoyed by font like that, you really can't tell people how to live their lives...

And I kind of agree with Redstar, though it really depends how old a kid is. I mean, you can't really criticize a young kid's work because, as Redstar said, they'd probably won't be able to handle it and have problems rising above it. The trick is finding a happy medium between praise and encouraging the kid to do better. Though, with teens, you can probably go all out, as long as you're polite, give praise at the end to uplift their mood, and tell them how to improve.
    Actually, its not age, but mental-age and personality you need to focus on. If a person is well logical and able to take a knock or two to their ego, then by all means, crit to your hearts content. However, I know a few in upper-management who don't like being criticized, and will most likely ignore your advice no matter how pressing the writing needs to be changed. Bottom-line, it's all to do with personality and mental-age.

Doesn't work. I've had that box checked ever since it was first introduced, and it doesn't work.
    I'd suggest posting a thread in the appropriate section detailing the problem to solve it. I don't really care about font actually because I usually use light-colored themes. Right now I'm using Route 167.

Also, your post had colour tags on them.
    This usually happens when you copy-paste your text from a word-processing program or something.

You're very much correct. However, the kind of advice I was referring to was stricktly writing advice. You know, there's more to technical writing, especially with fiction, than just grammar. There are sentence structures, there are passages, there's repetitiveness and redundancy to be avoided, there is persistent awkwardness that is very hard to get rid off. In those cases, you really need advice from someone who has some technical knowledge of writing specifically.
    The term you are looking for is lexicological, no? Regardless, I agree with that. Sometimes, most people can see that your writing style is a bit awkward, what with redundancy and all that jazz, and can be improved somewhat. Usually however, only people who are well versed in the language can really comment on this kind of thing.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • I seriously doubt that I'd attend seeing as I'm all for anonymity on the net. Also, I find it incredibly uncomfortable when I have to actually hear your voices, not that I don't think you're human, but because I'm slightly OCD and I don't like a change in pattern, as in, you guys actually speaking. Speech is vague, the written word is more accurate and concise. I'm game for a text chat-room though.
    I think we all should get together sometime or another, it would be fun.
    While I do occasionally get annoyed by font like that, you really can't tell people how to live their lives...
    That is why I asked nicely, as in please do me a favor.

See how annoying this can be if you are on the wrong theme, just imagine my whole post like this.
    I'd suggest posting a thread in the appropriate section detailing the problem to solve it.
    lmfao

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    That is why I asked nicely, as in please do me a favor.

See how annoying this can be if you are on the wrong theme, just imagine my whole post like this.
    As I said before, everything is set to "System Default". I really can't do anything to help you.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • Oh my Lord, guys, I missed all the fun! D: I'm not even gonna try to answer everything, but all I'm going to say is that text formatting is annoying, yes. And Redstar, have you noticed that the FFL explodes in arguments every time you decide to grace us with your presence? ^_^

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Oh Gods, text colours in the web. Madness! Inzzzanity! Let's not have "<blink> and twinkles" yet, then!

I used to have a similar issue in another forum I'm not going to mention but it features ye goode knowe Yami Ryu, and some others, where not matter how much I emphasized the "default" or resetted cookies, I was left watching some form of forum art painstalkingly ripped off 2001's monolith scene; gods I'm glad for UserCSS since then. Right now I see all your textes in black over silver, with nice almost-blue shadows, people... :D

but thatt's off-the topic.

Mmm... may I be forgetting something?
    Oh, yeah the part where I say Hi people, I'm back! :classic:

I'm all fine and dandy, earthquake issue is momentarily left behind, although my family will have to look for a new home now... Among the first things I did once I got back here, talked to Buoysel who gave me this weird idea, a Skype FFL channel or something. I kinda like the idea, even (more) if it's text-only. :D And since I'm all-for-anonimity like Mizan and at the same time acknowledge the chance of a cabal of fun when it presents itself, I think a sort-of IRC channel would be great. We just need a server...

PokéCommunity Menu said:
    Chatroom --> Open Chat
    :rambo: Someone with access to the IRC Mods?

Skype account
    I'll get one for myself soon.

Buoysel said:
    IDK it sounded like a good idea at the time. (I personally think it would be hilarious.)

I hope it would be the most hilarious if we log the random people that pops in and their reactions:

RING*** RING****!!!

Good morning/afternoon/night/whatever and welcome to the Fanfictoin Lounge Call Center for the Preservation of Insanity Department of Redundance.
    Dial "1" to request for assistance on the canonicity of any aspect of Pokémon that you may need.
    Dial "2" to enter a discussion on how the recent naming of Copernicium affects the application of sci-fi to fiction works.
    Dial "3" to discuss how the forelimbs of Latios and Latias are named.
    Dial "5" to comment on the exact mechanics of the move Beat Up.
    Dial "8" to enter a poll on review styles. Try not to flame if the results do not please you.
    Dial the hidden 4-digit number (we won't tell you which one) to enter the "Role play in the Post Titles" Adventure.
    Dial "0" to pop up and join to the off-topicness.
    Dial "[b]" if you want to create a new Bold Topic.
    Dial "6 9 6 9 6 9" to have Redstar argue with a FFL member of your choice.
    Dial "*" to have a random member of the FFL randomly pop up after a random time of inactivity for a random reason. It may randomly not work.
    Dial "M" for Monkey.
    Or, just press " ℵ " and hold on the line to reach a human operator.

Meanwhile, enjoy the music.

Music from the Ipanema Evelator MST3K starts rolling...

And Redstar, have you noticed that the FFL explodes in arguments every time you decide to grace us with your presence?
    I've lampshaded it at least once. Not that I don't like it -- actually, I find those occurrences to be fundamental to a discussion Lounge among other things because for a discussion to be complete IMHO not only all perspectives must berepresented, but also all vectors. Not that I don't find them funny either, that is, when the FFL isn't temporarily closed as a result.

On the only bold topic I've got to read as of recently (man I'll have to read back so much this time):

How do you treat people when you review? Friendly, serious, or straight to the point?
    I go to the point, or at least I try to most of the time. I make a point that I often don't actually have a reason to review, what with me always being late and not being that good with grammar, but I'll always tell people I review the reason(s) I enjoy reading their work and why, since acknowledging I find a story interesting is to me one of the main benefits of reviewing. I may be friendly as a matter of nature perhaps-- since I mostly review people I already know, and I haven't had the chance to have a reason to be upset while reviewing...

Bottom line: I go to the point. Sort of ironic, is it?

Dagzar said:
    And I'm kind of surprised that most people here seem to show their family and friends their fanfiction.
    Yeah. I'd never show my parents or my friends the fics I do. Heck, for the most part I don't show them any of the web work I do It's not that I don't trust them, it's just I don't trust people, not in this particular subject.

Also, hi Dagzar!

Also again, guys, we're going to hit the 15Kth post soon. Just wanted people to notice, since the 11Kth to 14Kth milestones haven't been celebrated.

And also for one last time, I promise: I'll retake the FFL Bold Topics Index eventually, dont worry. Thanks to those among you who offered your help, I'll heavily take you into consideration.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Dial "1" to request for assistance on the canonicity of any aspect of Pokémon that you may need.
    Dial "2" to enter a discussion on how the recent naming of Copernicium affects the application of sci-fi to fiction works.
    Dial "3" to discuss how the forelimbs of Latios and Latias are named.
    Dial "5" to comment on the exact mechanics of the move Beat Up.
    Dial "8" to enter a poll on review styles. Try not to flame if the results do not please you.
    Dial the hidden 4-digit number (we won't tell you which one) to enter the "Role play in the Post Titles" Adventure.
    Dial "0" to pop up and join to the off-topicness.
    Dial "" if you want to create a new Bold Topic.
    Dial "6 9 6 9 6 9" to have Redstar argue with a FFL member of your choice.
    Dial "*" to have a random member of the FFL randomly pop up after a random time of inactivity for a random reason. It may randomly not work.
    Dial "M" for Monkey.

...There is no four. There is no four. There is no four! Ahhh math! Ahhh my mind! Ahhh!

Also, there is no "M" key.

...Why the Torn am I applying logic to the Lounge.

...*presses 3*

During the move Beat Up, your balled pokémon are released in order to help your active pokémon attack the opponent. Unless you're from the south-eastern side of Floaroma, in which case everyone sits down for a nice cup of tea and classical music. Do not underestimate the dangers of courtesy.

And I'm kind of surprised that most people here seem to show their family and friends their fanfiction.

I sure don't. Well...one of my friends actually does read my stuff, but he's into pokémon too, so it's cool. A fair amount of people know I write the stuff, though.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    And Redstar, have you noticed that the FFL explodes in arguments every time you decide to grace us with your presence? ^_^
    Yeah, seems to most of the time. But I didn't even do anything this time... He just started complaining about my text and I haven't found anything wrong with it.

Dagzar

The Dreamer
    Years
  • Also, hi Dagzar!
    Hi, Solovino! Welcome back! :D

I think that getting together over MSN or something would be a great idea! I definitely wouldn't mind chatting with people, though my brain melts when it tries to think of FFL insanity in a chat room.

And rejoice, for we are on page six hundred!

Twenty-three posts until 15k

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • [COLOR ="Black"]
    Yeah, seems to most of the time. But I didn't even do anything this time... He just started complaining about my text and I haven't found anything wrong with it.[/COLOR]

This is what I get when I quote your messages. You've got this weird color thing going on.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Quote me now and tell me what you get.

How do you treat people when you review? Friendly, serious, or straight to the point?
    I'm pretty sure we've had this topic before, but no reason not to answer it again.

I'm always friendly. There's no reason to dissuade people into not writing... You need to be gentle, but still point out what issues you notice. Most of all you need to encourage. I'd say I'm pretty nice when I review.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Quote me now and tell me what you get.

Yeah, it went away.

It really depends on the author's attitude, honestly. If they're not acting like arrogant know-it-alls, I'm typically friendly and courteous. I will reciprocate asshattery, however.

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • I never show my family my fanfiction. >_< Mum and Dad would make me stop writing, and my sister would a) laugh and b) not get it (which would be weird, considering that she basically does it herself. I vividly recall a story about one 'Harriet Potter' . . . eh.)

ANYWAY

SOLOVINO

YOU'RE OKAY

WE WERE ALL WORRIED ;_;

I mean, sure, I heard from various people that you were alright, but it's nice to see you again in person (?).

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
  • w00t! 600 pages of people being random!

Well when I review I do one liners if I like it 70-85% I'll do a long bit about why I like it if I liked it 85-100% If I didn't like it I'll write a bit on why I didn't like it, but if it's really bad, like 10% bad, I might not even dignify it with a response. I once saw somebody posted a "Story" which was only 1 paragraph long. Well actually it was 3 sentences so that shouldn't even be counted as a paragraph...

Anyways, I'm working on something new. I've been toying around with the characters and plot in my mind, and I've started taking some initiative. I'm sending some rough (very rough) drafts to my editor to see what she thinks. I also tried doing an RP with it, but alterego never likes my ideas. It's going to be called "The God Project". I hope you all like it!

With all regards,

-ChrisTom

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • But see, CT, the fact is that here, one-line reviews are generally frowned upon as they're not terribly useful to the author. All it tells them is that someone read their story but didn't want to bother telling them what they thought about it in too much detail.

I've had my share of them, and it's rather irksome. I suggest either review fully, or just skip the story if you don't feel you can write more than a line.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back