• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2015
    Originally posted by diamondpearl876
    As for you people begging for people to read your story, there's better ways to do it. Get a creative banner or put something in your sig that will draw people in and it won't make you look desperate.

How about using reverse psychology? Don't read the first chapter of my new fanfic please

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Just posted the fourth chapter of Midsummer Knight's, which means we're actually catching up to the point where v.1 ends. Which also means I should be posting new chapters in December, barring the possibility that I don't go insane and stab my computer because of a combination of schoolwork and NaNoWriMo.

Speaking of which, is anyone else doing Pokemon fic for NaNo? I feel a little guilty, as I usually try (and fail miserably) to do original fic for the beast, and this one is another redux of another monster fic anyway. (To my credit, I'm actually rewriting massive amounts of this one, rather than going through and changing a few scenes here and there, like I did with MKD. In other words, I've basically thrown out everything I have done so far except the planning notes and am starting from scratch, so it's still kosher... right?) Nonetheless, if anyone's thinking about it, it'd be awesome to trade ideas/encouragement/reassurances that stabbing computers is probably a bad idea.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    I did a Pokemon fic for NaNo last year, and it stalled at the 12,000 word count. I haven't looked back at the fic yet to see if it can be saved. >.<

This year, however, I'm attempting a Digimon fic. This one has been planned in my head for a year now. I'm going to outline the plot so I don't lose control of it.

Still, moral support is good during NaNo. We'll cheer each other on! We'll need the moral support (and word wars?), and our computers would probably appreciate it if they are saved from being murdered.

TurtleKing said:
    Ah. How can I get people to review my fic? I haven't got many reviews at all.
    Take a look around the forum and see if you can find the regular reviewers who review the way you want to be reviewed. (Awesome repetition skills, Hanako.) When you find those users, PM them. Just remember that it's a busy time of year, so the readers might not get to your story as soon as you would like.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years
    Seeing as how we can ask for reviews here, could someone review Biohazard for me if someone has the time? I just posted Chapter Two...

Also, this is going to sound kind of noobish, but I noticed people have links within their fic threads to later chapters. I was wondering how do you guys make those? I just can't figure it out.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Also, this is going to sound kind of noobish, but I noticed people have links within their fic threads to later chapters. I was wondering how do you guys make those? I just can't figure it out.

Usually, I just wait until the page finishes loading right after I post a new chapter. The address bar should be already set with a link that jumps right to the latest post.

Alternatively, in the top right of each post, you'll see a number. It's actually a link, so if you click on it, you should be brought to a page with a single post (the one you want) in it. Now, you could either copy the link in the address bar of that page or go to the top right of that post and click on the link (the one that says the thread title) to get back to the thread. The address in the address bar should change to bring you directly to the post you want.

Hopefully, that makes sense. ^_^;

Bay

Years
    Yes, PC is back! ^^

Well anyways, a couple of announcements. Hanako,Griff, Diamondpearl876, Skunter, and anyone else reading "Nothing, Everything": Chapter One is here! Also everyone, expect Chapter Two to come in early November.

TurtleKing: Another way to have people review your fic is to review other member's fics. Give a good review of the things you like and don't like and then that member will eventually read and review your fic in return. ^^

National Writing Month? I tried that one time but only managed 500 words (dang college). This year I hope to do it, but I will probably have to pass it. Been studying Italian and I am really trying to put a lot of effort into it.

Well, for those that are going to do that, good luck with that! ^^

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    TurtleKing: Another way to have people review your fic is to review other member's fics. Give a good review of the things you like and don't like and then that member will eventually read and review your fic in return. ^^

I highly advise against that, unless maybe the work is done by a writer whom you highly respect. Aside from the fact that you should try to seek criticism from someone who seems good, if you review a bad fic, chances are that writer's gonna bug the hell out of you, constantly asking what they're doing wrong, even though you're not a regular critic. And what will they give you in return? I mean, you can't possibly expect helpful criticism for your own work from the same person who's practically sucking your teet and has yet to be weened.

And on that note, don't even bother helping out someone who just goes "Great fic. Can you review mine?" I felt that sense of obligation when it came up, and it only resulted in a bunch of bullcrap on my end. Though, this may sound a bit hypocritical if you seek help yourself, and the people you go to give it to you.... I guess with that in mind, some people actually have interests in reviewing and helping out novices while others don't, and if you do, all the power to you. If you don't, you probably have your reasons (for me, I really find it hard to describe what I love about most stories... and that causes my own attempt to make a deep and dramatic story quite challenging ^^'). But with that said, it's not exactly required that you review someone else. You could just as well ask them to help you (hell, some people around here, like FrostWeaver, do just that. Some members will even advertise that they'll take requests to review you). Reviewing the one you seek help from, in most people's perspective, just seems to lower the awkwardness of "Hey, I never read your work in my life, but would you mind looking at mine and giving me some tips?" However, it could also act as a double-edged sword, because reviewing someone else just to get your own review (especially if you make it come off as being so blatant) can look pretty shameless. Sure, you put in an effort to look at what they did, and to provide your opinion on it, but all that effort would appear to have been for superficial reasons as opposed to your genuine interest in and respect for the author's work, as well as the author him/herself.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    The latest chapter of A Midsummer Knight's Dream is up. Usually, I don't beg for reviews, but if anyone could read it over and make a few comments, that would be really, really appreciated. The reasons are as followed:

1. It's an all-new chapter, meaning that while I was going off notes for improvements for previous chapters from the original version, this one is completely new material that may or may not work for the story. It'd be cool to know what people thought about this new addition, considering I haven't produced one in a few months.

2. I'm going on writing hiatus until December (in honor of NaNoWriMo and the death of my sanity) and would rather not have the thread die while I'm gone.

I know I should probably PM someone for this or review other people's fics (which I may have time to get to between sessions of making my brain implode), but I really just don't care who drops by as long as someone does.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    TurtleKing, not to start an argument, but that kind of sounds like what Yamato-san was talking about. You're pretty much telling Jax that if she gets to review your fic then you'll review hers. It's like your holding your review for her hostage. D:

That might not be your intent, but meaning is hard to convey over the computer, so I might have misread your post.

Jaxy, I've been meaning to read and review your story. Perhaps by the end of the week I can get there. NaNo and school work are eating up my time. D:

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    Ok. I can't seem to get the next chapter of my fic written. I didn't leave off with a cliffhanger, so I either have to come in as though some time has elapsed or introduce a new plot thread. Crapcrapcrap. It's been two weeks, and I have three starts to chapters written, but I don't like any of them.

Yes, this is a rant. Grrrr *smacks forehead against keyboard*. Ummmmmmmmm...wow. Can't decide. Which is getting annoying, which makes me want to write even less.

SO. Carry on. Just needed to get that out.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    No, I didn't mean that. I meant anyone.

I was just trying to advertise, is all. I don't get a lot of reviews, however, it's good to know that people are looking at it. I have a ton of views. I just want some critism, is all.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Like I figured, TurtleKing. Sorry that I assumed that about you! ^_^; I guess I just jumped to conclusions too quickly. It just seemed that way because your post followed Jax's. Don't forget that you can also PM people as well, especially if you want someone specific to look at your fic, and they might not come into the Lounge often.

Ugh, txteclipse, I feel your pain. I am at the start of a new chapter in my novel where it's the next day. I haven't actually written any part of it yet, but when I do, I'll probably bash my head against the wall for a while.

Just take a break from your work for a while. Don't force your writing, or it will come out forced, and your readers can tell. So take a break, sit back, and wait for the words to come to you.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    FINALLY got my chapter started. That was a mess. Anyways, it's shaping up nicely, and I'm mixing in all of the elements of the three starts to chapters that I had, which is cool. Don't you love it when things just click?

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    When that inspiration strikes you, it is a thrilling feeling. Maybe you just needed to hear some encouragement? xD

I still have 2,000 words to type. D: I'm not looking forward to it.

I guess I'll ask this here: I'm having a problem with description. How much do I use and when? Like now, I only have the some character's hair and eye color down, but I haven't even touched clothes and other facial features yet. Should I interject the information about the clothes, or not? Do I even touch the facial features, or would no one care about the shape of the nose?

I think once I figure this out, I won't have anymore questions about writing. o.o Wow. Now all I have to do is actually sit in my chair and write.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    Don't really know how to respond to this one. There's an example of good description somewhere around here, but I couldn't say exactly where it is. The thread is called something like "How to Write a Good Fanfic."

EDIT: Aha. Here it is. "Example of a good fanfic: complete description." It's stickied on the pokemon fanfiction page.

Scales

Man of Infinite Jest
    Years
    I just started my first non-pokemon fanfiction called Digimon legends lost heaven. I have a really good plot in my mind. It should have 3 parts and about 100 chapters. So as the story goes on feel free to give me any tips or suggestions

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    My personal stance on clothing is mention it if it's relevant or noteworthy in the eyes of the other characters. For example, you could say that a character slipped his hands into the pockets of his long coat, and that's one way to go about doing it without inadvertently beating it over your reader's head. Alternatively, if your character is dressed in a snazzy suit in the middle of a dump, your other characters might pick up on that right away and end up focusing on the details.

But, ah, yeah. You may want to check out the thread txt mentioned. ^_^;

As for TurtleKing, I'll try to review you sometime today. After, um, finishing the paper I was supposed to be writing instead of NaNo. XD (I feel your pain, everyone who's mentioned the fact that NaNo + schoolwork = BAD. ;_;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back