• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Part of Your Least Favorite Pokemon Game?

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2023
    We all have least favorite Pokemon games, and all for different reasons, but what's the one redeeming factor of yours?

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
    Years
  • Diamond and Pearl: The region, added Pokémon, music, and lore are all really solid. It's just the small regional Pokedex, performance, and overall game speed that hold it back. Thankfully Platinum fixes these things.

X and Y: They easily have my favorite roster of new Pokémon. Aside from Aromatisse, Diggersby, and the Barbaracle line, I like them all. Some of the music is good too.

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl: The remastered music is wonderful for the most part.

Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee: They perfected the Pokémon following mechanic. No Pokemon game before or since has nailed it this well. I'm fond of the remastered music a well. In fact, my best memory of this game was when one of my moms hummed along to the music and was surprised it came from Pokémon.

Legends Arceus: The new evolutions and Hisuian formes are mostly great additions to the series. The love for Johto and Unova genuinely warmed my heart.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Enjoyed Secret Bases in Ruby/Sapphire. Had someone else to play with. Liked the idea of stumbling onto their base (and vice versa), as well as customizing the base.

Years
  • gen 7: has no redeeming factor for me, if I have to be honest. What I appreciated was the higher difficulty in some stages of the game compared to gen 6 (previous) and gen 8 (after). It has very cool things and ideas, but the way they are in the game is really not enough compared to how it could/should have been.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2023
    gen 7: has no redeeming factor for me, if I have to be honest. What I appreciated was the higher difficulty in some stages of the game compared to gen 6 (previous) and gen 8 (after). It has very cool things and ideas, but the way they are in the game is really not enough compared to how it could/should have been.

What do you mean? I understand Sun and Moon are not great games, but the Ultra games are some of my favorite in the series. Wonderful Pokemon variety, good difficulty, loads of awesome fanservice, a solid story and a ton of quality of life additions are just some of my favorite aspects of the game. If it's because of the long cutscenes I understand, but at the end of the day sitting an extra few minutes is not that big of a deal to me.

Years
  • What do you mean? I understand Sun and Moon are not great games, but the Ultra games are some of my favorite in the series. Wonderful Pokemon variety, good difficulty, loads of awesome fanservice, a solid story and a ton of quality of life additions are just some of my favorite aspects of the game. If it's because of the long cutscenes I understand, but at the end of the day sitting an extra few minutes is not that big of a deal to me.

The story is not really solid for me. They could have done more and I think that lore-wise there are some missing parts. Alola is a nice region and I liked the idea of different islands, but exploration doesn't exist at all. It's mostly just going ahead. Z moves aren't that cool for me, I preferred Dynamax. The Ultramegalopolis is such a cool concept but it's really just a room.
    HMs removed wasn't a bad idea, but it made exploration too easy and almost inexistent (if you combine it to the Alolan geography, which is kinda bad as I said) and even the few puzzles were too easy. It's better than gen 6, but it's not at the same level of HMs in gen 3/4/5 and it's definitely less fun if compared to Sword/Shield, PLA and S/V.
    Then, this is really subjective, but: mid music and mid pikemon designs, alolan forms are all way too similar to the original pokemon.
    Characters are normal, nothing really exceptional, especially Hau and Lily. Kukui isn't that bad, but I am not a super fan of his design. Gladion was a nice character.
    Btw I loved the long cut scenes lol

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2023
    Btw I loved the long cut scenes lol

Glad someone actually agrees with me on that point, even if you didn't like the game overall. I've always thought the cinimatic-style cutscenes added a lot of life to the game, and the've gotten better and better as the series went on. While on the topic of USUM, I will mention due to my copy being known to corrupt I actually haven't played it in a long while, so do keep that in mind. Perfectly understand why it wasn't for everyone though.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I think it's a toss-up between DPPt and SwSh?

The former had at least the physical/special split and Pt had an interesting area in the Distortion World.

And I kinda liked the fight against Eternatus in its Gigantamax form in SwSh.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • X and Y: The battle maison was actually pretty enjoyable, if I'm being honest. Other than that, there's nothing else that I liked about X/Y.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • PLA: I liked the period piece aspect of the game, some of the new regional forms and the reappearance of a certain sweet train man... the latter of which makes me extremely conflicted, because it's directly tied to the isekai story that I so much hate.

ScaVio: Pawmo, the perfect Pikaclone, and Fuecoco, a strong contender for favourite Fire starter. That's it.

Years
  • Least favorite.. probably DP for me. An immense positive for it was the Champion and her battle theme - and heck, a lot of the music as a whole. Cynthia probably has the best champion theme to date. Thanks Sinnoh for giving that to us!

Years
  • I really like how SwSh makes it so much easier and more accessible to get competitive Pokemon. before you'd have to spend like 70 hours just getting a team. I also really like how gym leaders are presented more as celebrity athletes with sponsors and fans rather then random people standing in a building.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • My least favorite Pokémon game that I played was Pokémon Let's Go: Pikachu. I hated it for many reasons, mainly because you can only use one joy-con when it was docked. I also hated the catching mechanics, the extremely easy difficulty level, the removal of abilities, breeding, EVs, and so on. However, I did enjoy how you could access your boxes from anywhere, ride on your Pokémon, have them walk with you, and enjoy the advanced graphics compared to other games. I'm glad they incorporated these features in later games.

Years
  • Gen 6. I auto-piloted through X and Y because I didn't find it interesting other than EV-training and using megas. At least this was the generation that got me to try out online battles and taking the game seriously for like three years.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2023
    My least favorite Pokémon game that I played was Pokémon Let's Go: Pikachu. I hated it for many reasons, mainly because you can only use one joy-con when it was docked. I also hated the catching mechanics, the extremely easy difficulty level, the removal of abilities, breeding, EVs, and so on. However, I did enjoy how you could access your boxes from anywhere, ride on your Pokémon, have them walk with you, and enjoy the advanced graphics compared to other games. I'm glad they incorporated these features in later games.

I personally think Let's Go P/E aren't bad games, just ones that are trying to accomplish something very different. I think that it's really great there is a great gateway game like this to ease Pokemon Go players into the main series, although I understand why it isn't enjoyable to some.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • I like that LGP/E brought back Green AKA Leaf. It was incredibly disappointing to me that she didn't appear in HG/SS. So appearing in LGP/E was much needed.

With that said, that's pretty much the only thing about LGP/E that I actually like.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I personally think Let's Go P/E aren't bad games, just ones that are trying to accomplish something very different. I think that it's really great there is a great gateway game like this to ease Pokemon Go players into the main series, although I understand why it isn't enjoyable to some.

Pokémon Let's Go would have been much better if it was a little more challenging and allowed you to play with both joy-cons when docked.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2023
    Pokémon Let's Go would have been much better if it was a little more challenging and allowed you to play with both joy-cons when docked.

I never played much of Let's Go but I do remember it is pretty easy. Poor enemy movesets and levels are underwhelming too (although to be honest the original RBY and to an extent their remakes had pretty trash movesets to begin with). If you took a lot of the improvements (i.e new story moments and battles, better Pokemon availibility, removal of HMs, etc.) and put them into a game like FRLG then I think it would be undeniably the best Kanto game.

As for the joy-con thing I mostly play on my Switch lite or Undocked so no comment there. :b

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I never played much of Let's Go but I do remember it is pretty easy. Poor enemy movesets and levels are underwhelming too (although to be honest the original RBY and to an extent their remakes had pretty trash movesets to begin with). If you took a lot of the improvements (i.e new story moments and battles, better Pokemon availibility, removal of HMs, etc.) and put them into a game like FRLG then I think it would be undeniably the best Kanto game.

As for the joy-con thing I mostly play on my Switch lite or Undocked so no comment there. :b

I strongly agree with this. However, I mentioned in a previous thread I created, I believe Game Freak should just focus on making new games with new storylines and updated graphics that take place in past regions.

Back