• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Playable DLCs

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • Favorite Playable DLCs

While companies are strapped on deadlines to complete their games, some of them venture into expanding the universe of their video game by including downloadable content, or DLC in short, for their games after they've been released. Some DLC includes adding new weapons and modifications for your playable character, while others create vast extra worlds of gameplay that furthers your experience. Some DLC allows you to play as other in-game characters, while other DLC gives you an array of challenges which when completed gives you perks that will up your gameplay. What are your favorite DLCs that you've experienced? Was the DLC worth the price? What are your opinions of having DLCs a thing and not being included in the overall package?

Discuss!

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    DLC both bothers me and delights me in equal measure.

There is no denying that some companies - I'm looking at you, NIS America - abuse the hell out of it, and by no means give you value for money...and that they have the sheer audacity to add trophies as part of the package is both insulting and infuriating. Disgaea D2 is easily the best example of the worst case scenario: characters that cost £2.39 a pop AND have a trophy attached to them. Meanwhile, Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention comes with ALL the DLC that was included with the third game - plus some extras - for less than what the DLC pack on the store costs! Similarly, both Tales of Graces f and Tales of Xillia charge outrageous prices for costume changes and attachments that do absolutely nothing. Whereas Tales of Symphonia Chronicles gives you a costume set for free just for having save data from one of the two titles! Talk about blatant double standards...

Similarly, it bugs me when I see substantial DLC within a week of release - or sometimes not even that - as well. That sort of content really should be in the main game, and the only excuse I can see is that developers just want to make more money. It might be their right to distribute their product however they want, but it's a serious problem with the industry in general.

If I'm going to pay for additional content, I expect it to enhance and/or extend my gaming experience significantly. Things like additional characters, overpowered weapons and costume changes I will refuse to pay for, because in previous generations that content would have been a part of the package, and they don't really add anything I can do without. Something like an expansion pack, that adds over an hour of playtime, I'll be more willing to pay for. Whilst I can do without it still, it keeps me playing the game for longer, adds a distraction from the main story - usually a relevant one - and, usually, there are additional characters/weapons/costumes/whatever I can get as a bonus anyway.

The best DLC I've played to date...hmmm...well, I really enjoyed the Mass Effect 3 expansions; some of them really weren't long enough, but they were reasonably priced and, whilst you didn't HAVE to play them to appreciate the story, they really built on the universe - especially the Prothean and Leviathan DLCs. Citadel was just plain fun. Omega was the weakest of the four, but it was a fairly lengthy distraction.

Phazon Elemental

roving snob
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2021
    I think that probably my favorite set of playable DLC (i.e. actual levels and such) has probably been that that was included with Saints Row the Third and Saints Row IV. To be fair, it kind of helps that I generally enjoy the games and their sheer goofiness. I think that the DLC managed to recapture the feeling of the main game amazingly well and felt basically seamless as sets of side missions instead of feeling tacked-on. (Plus I like the customization DLC for that game. Usually I'm not a big fan of cosmetic-only DLC, but a lot of it is actually pretty fun.)

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I actually tend to avoid DLCs... I'm not fan of content that was omitted in the main game so it could be bought separately...

I enjoyed Gravity Rush DLCs, though.

I do have a feeling that Plutia DLC for ReBirth Neptunias will be my all time favorite because of Plutie =D

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • I really liked the Borderlands 1 and 2 DLCs, expanding the universe, giving the player more challenges and even new characters to play as (:

Years
  • Skylanders

I enjoyed the Torgue DLC of Borderlands 2.
    "That sentence had too many syllables! APOLOGIZE!"

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Skylanders

I totally agree with this. The Torgue DLC, while content wise was a little bland, had a great backstory to it and the dialogue coming out of Torgue was hella' fun. I'm glad they went more into his character because hearing Mr. Torgue just go absolutely nuts was a great addition to the Borderlands series.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Rezurrection for Call of Duty: Black Ops. It expanded on one of the best things about the CoD series: Zombies. 4 classic maps, and a new map. It's basically more of what's good about Call of Duty. <3

TY

Yes the Mr. Torgue DLC was sooooooo good cause of that guy. Also the ton of swearing it had made him a colorful character aswell. Plus the final boss was pretty tough on UVHM when being lvl 72.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Any of the DLC for Kingdoms of Amalur are definitely worth the price, it's truly a shame the company went bankrupt because KOA has been one of my most favorite games that I've played since getting my 360. And I really could have gone with an increase in the level cap and a sequel or two to KOA.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Artorias Of The Abyss was better than the whole of Dark Souls, with the exception of Kalameet. I also liked the concept of Operation: Anchorage, but the execution was pretty shoddy to say the least.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Despite my hatred for Fallout 3, I must admit that it's DLC campaigns were rather good. Operation Anchorage and Mothership Zeta were interesting to play through. Both had particularly engaging settings that made them a rather enjoyable experience.

My favourite DLC is costume DLC, surprisingly enough. It was for Tales of Vesperia PS3, and they were the School DLC set and Cameo DLC set. I bought these just because I wanted Nurse Judy and KOS-MOS Judy LOL.

I do have a feeling that Plutia DLC for ReBirth Neptunias will be my all time favorite because of Plutie =D
    All this HanaKana love, LOL. But I'll probably be buying it as well for Re;Birth since Iris Heart is too good to pass up.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • All this HanaKana love, LOL. But I'll probably be buying it as well for Re;Birth since Iris Heart is too good to pass up.
    Maybe I was playing with English dubs! xDDDDDD
    Unless not =D There's no way I would play a game in ENG dub when HanaKana is in JP cast =D
    Exactly, Iris Heart is the best CPU =D You just gotta love how everyone is totally overwhelmed by her =D

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Hate to admit, but it's probably Lost in Nightmares for RE5. It was probably the only creepy atmosphere in RE5, it gets bonus points for nostalgia, and it was fun and fairly challenging for me and daddy to play through together. c:
    My daddy's a disabled war vet, so it's a big achievement for us to do something that requires him to react fast. QTEs are our worst enemies in co-op.

Although Dead Money comes very close behind it. It was the first part of New Vegas where I had been met with a challenge, that was fun.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • TOOOOOOOOORGUEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Besides the Borderlands 2 DLCs, I liked all of the Fallout: New Vegas DLCs. They expanded the game and added new stuff that I actually used.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I really liked the Dragonborn DLC for Skyrim, thought it was well worth the twenty bucks with all the new content (especially compared to what Dawnguard added for the same value).

Years
  • First of all, I don't like DLC that is either: 1) purely aesthetic, or 2) "Map Packs" coughcallofdutycough
    I usually like paying for content that offers a little more "meat" than that (i.e. new game modes or expansions).

That said, though, I do enjoy DLC when it's done right.
    I liked the Borderlands 2 DLCs (except the Headhunter Packs - I haven't bought those yet) in general, but the ones that stood out were Torgue's Campaign of Carnage and Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep. The dialogue and writing for those pieces of DLC were amazing imo. The character packs were also really fun to play.

Fire Emblem: Awakening is the exception to the 2nd reason I hate DLC. Because they're all maps. But considering the maps - on completion - award unique characters and items, I'd have to say it offers a lot more than "just another map" (even though the price on these things are about $2.50-$3 each). Plus there's the whole "Pay-to-Win" DLC pack if you just want to take the easy way out of Lunatic/Lunatic+/Classic modes.

I don't know if expansion packs count, but if so I'd have to say Diablo III's Reaper of Souls expansion was worth the $60 I paid for it during the pre-expansion sale. ($20 base game, $40 expansion - yeah, I know the expansion cost more than the game for me, go figure)

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I dislike the concept of DLC as I can't help but wonder why they didn't just include the content in the original release of the game if they thought it was worth paying money for, but then I remember that companies are greedy so what else can you really expect! My favourite DLC that I can remember is the Tiny Tina DLC for Borderlands 2 which introduced the whole 'magical storybook' world to play in and the weapons/quests associated with it. I won't go into more detail since I can see many people feel the same way about Borderlands DLC from this thread, but it's definitely worth buying for anyone that likes the game and doesn't already have it!

Back