• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite removed mechanic?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
  • So as we all know, Game Freak has tried out a lot of different variations to the Pokémon games over the years. Many generations have introduced exciting new features and mechanics that we hoped were here to stay, only for them to be removed or seriously altered a mere generation later. Everyone thinks of Following Pokémon right away, but Gen V also added quite a number of things - seasons, hidden grottos, to name but two - that were subsequently removed in Gen VI.

Which of these removed mechanics was your favorite? Why do you think it wasn't kept in later versions?

Socratic

Howdy
    Years
  • I would really like seasons to continue on; I didn't know X/Y removed them :( I feel like they had so much more promise than what B/W did, but I don't know why I feel that way :p
    Battle Frontier was pretty amazing, and the Underground was pretty unique as well. I think it'd be interesting to see how they'd be handled in the present :p
    I miss the slot machines, though

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • That dumb watch from Gen IV. What was it, the Poketch? Man, that seemed like a novel idea at the time, but so ancient looking back at it. D: Though...it was really useful for hatching eggs, so I can't give it a whole lot of hate. :x
    Wow, I totally forgot about that one haha. Seems Game Freak have never been able to decide exactly what they want the touch screen to be used for. I liked that thing, collecting the apps for it was kinda fun and there were a few clever ones.

Years
  • I really loved seasons and the aesthetics in Gen V really did the mechanic justice, following Pokemon is another feature I'd like to see return.

Also the Battle Frontier would be amazing in 3D.

BlissyMKW

Rawr
    Years
  • Battle Frontier is probably one thing even though Gen 4's version felt meh to me compared to Gen 3 (except the Battle Palace. That place can go burn in the pits of nacho heaven). The other thing, however, allow the picture below to explain my opinion for me.

goldsteelix.jpg

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Challenge mode from Black & White 2.

I was really hoping this would be a continued thing once it was introduced, it was such a great feature that really appealed to me. I'd really like to see this feature return for S/M but that seems like a long shot. D:

Socratic

Howdy
    Years
  • I forgot entirely about the Poketch. I think it was a pretty great use of the touchscreen at the time, and I especially like how the sprite would alter when you use it.
    Tell me, do the Gen VI games have costumizable rooms? I really enjoy decorating anything I can in Pokemon, so I really enjoyed the secret bases and Sinnoh underground as well. Shame there were very little costumization options in B/W, though Join Avenue made up for it a little bit.

BlissyMKW

Rawr
    Years
  • Challenge mode from Black & White 2.

I was really hoping this would be a continued thing once it was introduced, it was such a great feature that really appealed to me. I'd really like to see this feature return for S/M but that seems like a long shot. D:
    You just reminded me Challenge Mode was a thing. That was a good addition, especially since X/Y was extremely easy. Having a way to make the game harder that isn't doing a nuzlocke/other challenge was fun, and it was cool that they added more to the gym leaders and Elite Four's teams along with increased their levels a bit to put the unprepared players off their guard.

Kabocha❤

Feeling sleepy...
    Years
  • I guess contests made a return, but I wish they became standard for all games. The game corner was also one of my favourites back in Sapphire, it's actually the reason why I love gambling minigames so much. BW's Seasons also look great and the Poketch was pretty cute and clever, even though I never got all apps.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • For battle facilities - I'd really loved the PWT in B2W2, you got to see old characters return like gym leaders from other regions+ I would like the Battle Frontier to return to challenge the Battle Factory & Arcade again, fun stuff

But otherwise, I would really love for seasons, hidden grottos, and pokémon following you to return again, those little mechanics made the game feel more completed as a whole. Especially Pokémon following you, hopefully that could be something achieved one day, considering making 3D models for all of them would take forever :(

Years
  • Seasons were great, but following you is without a doubt one of the best things they ever put into a game and the one thing I keep seeing people hoping for when new games are announced. It does seem like they have models for all the Pokemon, so it would only really take them animating them to walk/run/roll/etc. for them to be able to follow you around. Maybe they just want to bother, maybe there are technical reasons it can't happen, but I wish it would happen again.

Kabocha❤

Feeling sleepy...
    Years
  • Hidden Grottos also sound really cool, even though I haven't played Gen 5. Little secrets and things that make you feel like an explorer in general, are really cool.

Delgalatchi

Developing Pokemon Generations!
    Years
  • Personally, I miss the Gen 5 season mechanic, the Gen 2/4 Overworld walking feature, and the Gen 3/4 Battle Frontier mechanic, these 3 were my personal favorites.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • (intentionally skips reading this thread responses until after I post this)

Has anyone mentioned Pokémon following you? Because the obvious answer is Pokémon following you. Come on, it's Pokémon following you! And Pokémon interactions.

(Now goes back to reading responses)

Beyond that, seasons and the Pokéathlon would also be a sort of favourite thing-that-we-no-longer-have. I am curious that seasons are removed since that means actual Pokémon formes (Deerling, Sawsbuck) are removed, and this might mean actually good things - if Pokémon later introduces a mechanic that sucks, we can still hope they'll just later remove it. (And yes, I am admittedly looking at certain Megas)

As Kabocha-Chan said, Hidden grottos are also a nice thing.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • The seasons and the day/night cycle. I kinda miss the phone from GenII... When Joey was calling everyday.

Years
  • Does anyone remember Ball Capsules and those Seals? I loved dressing up the Pokeballs and making them say stupid things. Add those to the cool effects that Pokeballs have now and it would be amazing~~

Back