• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Shiny method?

Favorite Shiny Method

• Masuda Method

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Pokeradar chain

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Chain Fishing

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Horde's

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Luck

Votes: 13 46.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pinta77

Do you hunt for shiny pokemon? If you do, what's the method you use?

For me, my favorite method is to not look for them. While not looking, I have found machop, ducklett, zubat all shiny. And hatched a shiny charmander accidentally.

I soft reset for heatran, and I chained in diamond for a sneasel. But I prefer just not looking for them. It seems to be the most productive way.

James

Make it double!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2017
    Favorite method

So having finished the League forever ago, and just having finished my Pokedex Challenge i had set for myself, i am waist deep in shiny hunting. I'm not much of an IV or EV trainer and i love my pokemon games so much i wanted to keep playing, but finding stuff to do after finishing so much can be a challenge. I've used all of the methods i know about and 1 that i hadn't ever heard anyone talk about but i'm sure its used out there and that got me thinking. What is the most popular method to obtain shiny's?

Edit:
    My apologies to Pinta77 for not noticing that this topic had already been asked only a few hours before.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • My favorite method somehow slipped your radar and isn't in the poll! Anyway, I prefer RNG. It's really fun, although I don't do it much anymore. I was seriously addicted to it though. I loved RNGing Pokemon, shiny and even non-shiny, and giving them fun movesets to play around with and it was a great way to help others get their desired shinies. I actually started doing it mainly because I wanted to help others get shinies in the way other RNGers helped me get some.

I know some people don't like that method and they think it's cheating, but when it all comes down to it, you're not using an outside device. It's a bit tedious in the beginning, but it gets really fun and pretty easy after a few times. Don't knock it til you try it! :)

Years
  • I enjoy using the Masuda method and just plain luck. Though in X sometimes I get a bit hopeful in a wonder trade. Never know what you are gonna get.

SnailCandy

Bass Dropper
    Years
  • While finding shiny pokemon at random is fun, if we're talking about IV Gen, I prefer to use the Pokeradar over the Masuda Method. If were talking VI Gen, then I'd go with Horde Battles, just because I enjoy them and it's interesting for me to have to methodically kill the other pokemon in the battle before obtaining your prize. Also, It's just freaking awesome using Earthquake on 5 Durants and OHKOing all of them in one shot! It's soooooo satisfying!!!

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I like chaining the most, the feeling when you see that shiny patch is without compare really. That being said, it's not the most efficient method for competitive shiny Pokemon, so I don't chain that often. That's where breeding comes in, but that method is pretty repetitive and boring.

Years
  • I haven't had any success getting shiny Pokemon outside of pure luck, so I'll have to go with that as my answer.

It's not for lack of trying, as I've spent countless hours both trying to chain with the PokeRadar and through soft resetting for a Shiny Rayquaza, but I never really had the patience for it. I do want to try using the Masuda method to get a shiny at some point, though.

Years
  • Radar chaning, chain fishing, and Masuda Method.
    Those are easy tasks to do when I attempt to get shinies.

James

Make it double!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2017
    My favorite method somehow slipped your radar and isn't in the poll! Anyway, I prefer RNG. It's really fun, although I don't do it much anymore. I was seriously addicted to it though. I loved RNGing Pokemon, shiny and even non-shiny, and giving them fun movesets to play around with and it was a great way to help others get their desired shinies. I actually started doing it mainly because I wanted to help others get shinies in the way other RNGers helped me get some.

I know some people don't like that method and they think it's cheating, but when it all comes down to it, you're not using an outside device. It's a bit tedious in the beginning, but it gets really fun and pretty easy after a few times. Don't knock it til you try it! :)

I didn't even know this method existed until your post Everlark. I must say it sounds like the most complicated method out there.

Years
  • Luck for me, since that's the only way I managed to find every shiny I caught. Just randomly finding them in the wild, no special tricks. Although I do hope to maybe try chain fishing or looking for shinies in hordes sometime.

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    I mainly rely on the Masuda Method, or the Friend Safari, which you could say is luck. I've had success with 2 MM shinies, some with the PokéRadar, and I've gotten quite a few shinies outta the Friend Safari. I got my Female Gooey Shiny Sliggoo from there <3

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I didn't even know this method existed until your post Everlark. I must say it sounds like the most complicated method out there.

It probably is, haha. To be honest, I was overwhelmed when I first started RNGing. And depending on the game you want to do it in, it can be tedious. The easiest game to RNG in is probably Black and White though. Egg RNG is super easy once you've gotten the hang of how everything works. But 3rd gen RNG...stay away lol.

It really is fun, though. In a similar way to how people enjoy using the PokeRadar, it is fun to work for your shinies. RNG just ensures you'll get what you want, but without hacking into the game like using an Action Replay would. And I know people tend to think it's not work, but depending on what you're going for, it can be. And even the easiest RNGs may take some time and patience. It's enjoyable, though. For me, anyway. I know some people wouldn't see it as such, and that's fine. I don't enjoy Chaining, but more power to anyone that does!

Years
  • In my opinion, the people that can successfully RNG, are the true masters of the pokemon games. I tried, that stuffs too complicated for me. XD

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • I prefer suddenly encountering one out of the blue while just travelling from one place to another and not actively searching. The surprise makes the find even more precious than using methods to search for them imo. It's the only way I've ever encountered the few shines I've found though, so I don't have any other choices. I've tried chaining before, but the chain always broke after 20+ without a single shiny patch. It's frustrating. Never tried any other methods as well.

Years
  • I never go looking for shinies. The whole reason they're so valuable is because they're so rare. But they're just common enough that you'd roughly come across one every game. If you played 100 hours and battled 1 wild Pokemon every minute there would be a 52% chance you'd find atleast one shiny. Although it would be frustrating if you came across one but weren't in a position to catch it.

Back