• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Spin-off Game!

Favorite spin off games?

• Total voters

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
  • There's been a plethora of spin off Pokemon games over the years, and I'm sure we've probably played many, if not all of them! What are your favorite spin off games, and why? Tell me if I forgot any, there are a lot! n_n

My personal favorite games are Ranger: Shadows of Almia and Explorers of Sky/Darkness/Time! I might be a bit biased as I haven't played all of the other ones, but I love the story in each of them and I personally think that they are stronger than some of the main series PKMN games.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    I really enjoyed Pokemon Conquest as it was a rather challenging game compared to most of the main series games and most side games. If they could just improve upon everything that was in Conquest, it'd be so much better!

But my favourite of all was Explorers of Sky, for its fantastic gameplay, challenging post-game content and amazing story.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Pokemon Colosseum is my absolute favorite! There are more Pokemon in the sequel, sure, but I like Colosseum more even today because I just liked the darker tone and the fact that you got to play as an older protagonist. So Colosseum did it first, Black and White. Sorry bout'cha. ;) Anyway, I like the Shadow Pokemon concept, I loved the villains (ranging from silly to outright terrifying, which is great), the leading characters, the side characters, just everything about this game, really. All the characters were so memorable and the new spin on an old game was brilliant, I thought. Also, getting to start with Umbreon, my favorite Pokemon, was like a dream come true. :D

Honorable mentions:
    Pokemon Stadium 2
    Pokemon Snap
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team

Years
  • Pokemon Colosseum is my pick. The 3D graphics looked much improved from its Stadium predecessors, and the story line for Wes is top notch. I also love his design, as well as various other characters like Miror B., Team Snagem, and others. Collecting shadow Pokemon and purifying them made me feel like I was doing a good deed, and motivated me to play non-stop for days on end, haha. At first, I only rented the game from GameStop to try it out, but had to buy it and complete it in one weekend. Some of my fondest memories come from playing Colosseum. :]

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    Wow a lot of people are choosing Colosseum. I'm going to feel out of place! XD

My favorite spin-off games of all time are the Mystery Dungeon series. I've played them over and over and over again. From every different angle and approach, from one starter to the next, I've done it all in every single MD game. They all had storylines that hooked me from the very beginning and I was completely lost in how amazing they were. The story telling is just terrific, and definitely rivals (if not outdoing) the stories of the mainstream Pokemon games.

Another couple games I had an amazing time with would be Pokepark (2) and the Pokemon Ranger series. I could play those over and over until I get absolutely sick of them they're so beautiful and well done.

I want sequels of these three games for years to come, just so I can enjoy and love them all over again.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Wow, now I really wish I had been able to play Colosseum :( Maybe I'll just watch someone's Let's Play of it. Not the same, but I don't think I can play it now.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I voted for the Ranger series, the Stadium series, the PMD series and Dash (!!!!!). I just thought they were fun games to pass the time. Dash wasn't really fun (was expecting it to be Mario Kart-ish), but it was challenging, haha.

Years
  • My favorite spin off is Pokemon Rangers, especially Shadows of Almia.

PMD is my second favorite, but it would be first if it wasn't the fact that after game there wasn't much to do and after you get to a really high level you just basic attack Pokemon to death(except Shedinja)

Years
  • Mine's a tie between XD and Explorers of Sky. XD was fabulous in terms of plot, music, locations, and gameplay; and the characters and concept of Shadow Pokemon were wonderful as well. I also really, really love the Battle Sims and Bingo; those provided a lot of entertainment XD I have similar reasons for liking Explorers of Sky: the plot (especially since it was expanded upon with the special stories), the music (omg is the OST gorgeous), the locations, the characters, and the gameplay. Colosseum and the other PMD games (minus the WiiWare ones since I've never played them) are also among my faves, but XD and EoS are ones I can play over and over again and still love a lot.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
  • Colosseum and XD must be awesome. Emulator? There aren't many good gamecube emulators here (inb4 dolphin, Dolphin really sucks, at least for me ;().

back to the topic. Probably PMD Sky, not only for the WTF moment in the plot but the OST has probably the best Pokemon OST ever. Characters were nice, post game was awesome...etc. I ahve One, two sorry honorable mention:

Pokemon Ranger Shadows of Almia and Guardian Signs.

Jakeremix

Poképro~
    Years
  • Gotta say, Explorers of Sky is my favorite spin-off game, and Mystery Dungeon as a whole is my favorite video games series of all time. Besides that, Gates to Infinity, Shadows of Almia, and Guardian Signs also deserve some honorable mentions.

Years
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky wins hands down for me. It has the best storyline and soundtrack of all the Pokemon games I've played in my opinion. Heck, it's probably one of my favourite Pokemon games overall.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I absolutely loved the 2 Stadium games. I played the heck out of them on my old Project64 emulator, as I wasn't around in their hay days. The announcer was just fantastic, the reason I used really strong Pokemon in my Stadium playthrough was just to hear him say "It's a one hit wonder!". I also liked the Mystery Dungeon series, as the story and music of the line of games was absolutely breathtaking. I miss my Red Rescue Team. Maybe I'll download it and use an emulator for it.

Logical Cabbage

A Very Big Altaria Fan
    Years
  • Down to the heart, Mystery Dungeon Series are the best by far. But I'll always be loyal to Red/Blue because that plot touched my heart the most. Conquest is also a pretty good game to play and I just finished the second half of the game. Grateful that they have Reshiram and Flareon in it! I also enjoy playing the ranger games; played all, mastered all. Wished they made more of those games though...

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    The only only spin-offs I've ever played were Colosseum and Explorers of Sky, but since Explorers of Sky was so much better it gets my vote.

I like the idea of playing as a pokémon and that it was somewhat more challenging than the main games. Normally I'd say a game's story doesn't matter at all but this game had one of the best stories I've came across, then again most games I like don't even have stories to them so I don't have much to compare to.

I found using shadow pokémon in Colosseum to be annoying. There wasn't much to do in that game either.

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2015
    Guardian Signs is amazing! I like Conquest, Mystery Dungeon, and Pokepark though.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • The only only spin-offs I've ever played were Colosseum and Explorers of Sky, but since Explorers of Sky was so much better it gets my vote.
    O.O

I found using shadow pokémon in Colosseum to be annoying. There wasn't much to do in that game either.
    O.O O.O O.O

He? What did you hate on Shadow Pokemon so much?

Back