• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite type of Controller?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    This won't be a popular opinion, but I personally love the 'Wiimote' controller. I love the freedom it gives and the much more varying styles of control you can use with it, plus the ability to use it like a sword/wand/etc is remarkable. I love the PS controllers and they're better for FPS games like Borderlands, but in general for the kind of games I play the Wii controllers are best. Plus the ability to attach new controllers to them like the nunchuck add-on makes it pretty limitless, I'd say.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I grew up with Playstation but to be honest I never found the dualshock anything special. It's always been a jack of all trades;master of none controller to me. Well, the Dualshock 3 sucks though, way too light and the triggers are terrible. I'm not gonna start on the D-Pad. (Kinda funny Sony never got the D-Pad right until the Vita.) Or maybe it was because I was used to the 360 pad by the time I held a DS3, which was superior with its ergonomics and buttons.
    The Wii Remote is absolutely the worst controller I've ever used. (Admittedly I've only had consoles from N64 onwards.) If you have small hands, you can't really press half the buttons on it when you're holding it upright and so, so many games try to use all the buttons (because it's so lacking in them) when using remote+nunchuck controls. Uggh.
    I have VERY small hands and never had a problem. The controller was very comfy for me and it allowed me to feel relaxed while playing most simplistic games on the system. (see: Mario Galaxy, Zack and Wiki, Rhythm Heaven Fever) :P

Years
  • I'm going with Spino on this one. Okay, my hands have doubled in size now since the Wii came out, but when I had small hands I actually found it a very comfortable controller. I had no problems with any of the buttons and the games I played generally had a good button layout so I had no problem pressing them simultaneously.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I grew up using the playstation controllers that I am so used to them. I can't get used to the Xbox controllers because the position change of the d-pad and left analogue stick feels really goofy to me.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • Well, I'm the opposite, because I bought Dreamcast in 1999 and was so used to the Analog stick above the D-pad, it felt strange when we bought the PS2, as they've merely switched them round, as well as replacing letters of buttons with shapes. Nowadays I have an Xbox360 controller, and with the buttons like that in the Dreamcast controller, I got used to it really easily.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I found the GCN controller to be pretty comfortable to use, and I would probably go with that as some other controllers I don't have much experience with.

On the wii remote setup, I found it pretty decent to use for games like Skyward Sword, but less so with the setup when you hold the remote the other way and don't rely on the nunchuck.

Years
  • I use a Xbox360 controller on my computer. I don't own any consoles newer than the gamecube and I play my games on the computer which all seem to support the xbox controller. I orginally wanted to use ps3 but I couldn't get it to work. Now that I'm used to it I quite like the xbox controller, mainly becuase I prefer where they placed the analog and dpad.

PixelWarrior

Conqueror of Castles
    Years
  • I have to say the SNES; although the games on SNES usually mapped buttons in a stupid way, the setup was simple and easy to use, just 4 buttons and a D-Pad. All you need for a fun game.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I have to say the SNES; although the games on SNES usually mapped buttons in a stupid way, the setup was simple and easy to use, just 4 buttons and a D-Pad. All you need for a fun game.
    Yeah, Super Metroid in particular is notorious for this (thank god for button mapping on Wii U). The controller is great but that really bugs me.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    My favourite would probably be the Dualshock 2. I felt it had everything i'd ever need in a controller - nice D-Pad, not-offest analogue sticks, great shoulder buttons and good durability.

As well, I also like the Wii U Gamepad. It's surprisingly comfortable to hold, and the seconday screen on it is very helpful in games like Monster Hunter. It's just a shame the battery life is short and it makes my hands strangely tired after playing on it for long sessions.

I also have a rather basic USB Gamepad I use on my PC and Tablet that is just like a DS2, just a bit chunkier. I don't mind using it.

shadowdueler474

Muffins for all!
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2014
    My favorite is the Wii U Pro Controller. The stick placement on it is super comfortable. I would've said the Gamepad but even after I got used to it the ZL and ZR buttons still feel awkward to press them.

tnfsf11

I like the PSP controller (it's actually embedded in the console :P) it's like the good old controller of PS2/PS3 but with only one R & one L buttons which is fairly enough for my nervous system. {XD}

Mr. Magius

  
    Years
  • I always liked the GameCube controllers...although they look hideous, I would never be uncomfortable or get cramps when using them. I tend to cramp up when I'm using the PS3 controller.
    Oh, and I actually really like the Wii's Classic Controller and the Pro version. They have a nice texture, look good, and are lightweight.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
  • I dont have a WII U, but my friend does, and i played with it, and must say...its the best controller ever. Its super comfortable to hold, unlike other controller systems (like XBOX, PS3,PSP,DS).

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
    Years
  • I will always have a special love for the N64 controller. It will always feel the most natural for me.

pokemanmdj

Random Passerby
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    Visua-/shot

But really, I loved the Gamecube controller. Asides from it, the SNES and PS1 controller follow closely behind.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
    Years
  • DualShock 3 for me. It's very light, well placed buttons and it fits well in my hands. I grew with PlayStation consoles (PS2/PSP/PS3) so when I tried a XBox controller, it felt weird in my hands and I never used it again.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    My favorite controllers are the Xbox 360 and GameCube Wavebird controllers. They have a shape that makes them easy to hold, they have enough spaces between each of their buttons (so that you don't end up confusing one button with another when playing games), and they're also wireless. I also like the Wii controller because it's unique, small, easy to carry, and it gives us a different way of playing games.

Purple skies

Kittycanes777
    Years
    • She/her
    • Seen Jan 2, 2023
    Id like the ps3 controller cause I like the desing on it when i play it it makes it easier to use at all times and like the ps2 controller as well i like too but im not used of this one as the ps3 one

Back