• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

favorite VAs in the anime (dub)

zdude18

Lone Wolf
Years
  • ok so i since im officially caught up with all episodes in the entire anime, i thought it was about time i praise some of the great voice actors at TPCUSA and 4kids respectively, so lets list off our favorite VAs and have a convo about them. if you dont know the VA's name just put which company and the name of the character they played, or if they only have one voice actor just put the name of the char.
    -original may (Veronica Taylor)
    -dawn
    -TPC ash (sarah notochenny)
    -original delia ketchum (also VTaylor)
    -cilan (took me awhile)
    -original james (come on seriously that laugh XD)
    -paul
    -nando
    -stephen
    -georgia
    tell me which you prefer!! these are just some of mine!!!

Draco Razr

Elite Dragon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2013
    Veronica Taylor was the best! She was the original voice of Ash for the first eight seasons of Pokémon. Not only did she voiced May but Delia Ketchum (Ash's mother), Gary Oak's cheerleaders, Diglett, Additional Voices (Seasons 1-8) and Squirtle from Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Team Go-Getters Out Of The Gate!

TheFuturePokemon

Natural.....
    Years
  • Ash (Veronica Taylor)
    May (Veronica Taylor)
    Delia Ketchum (Veronica Taylor)
    Oak (Stan Hart)
    Brock (Eric Stuart)
    N (Nicholas DiMichele)
    Lance (Wayne Grayson)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I don't mind the TPCi voice acting, but I'm rather impressed by the vocal ranges of Erica Schroeder, Sean Schemmel and Marc Thompson. I like both Veronica Taylor and Sarah Natochenny equally as the voices of Ash.

Years
  • Veronica Taylor, Rachael Lillis, and Eric Stuart are all special to me for their work on the original trio, but my favorite is probably Eric. Because Brock is just so awesome and James is absolutely hilarious! Nothing beats that laugh he does :p.

Also, a special mention to the late Madeline Blaustein for her Meowth. That cat had personality like no other!

Years
  • I actually don't mind the current dub's voices, in fact I actually think Sarah Natochenny does a better job than Veronica Taylor as Ash. I also loved Eric Stuart's James voice in the 4Kids dub.

Both Dawn and Cilan's voices, Emily Jenness and Jason Griffith were really good too.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • Veronica Taylor, for Ash's voice, was the best. I couldn't care about the other voice actors, give or take, because I can't really notice.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Dan Green tho (~ ̄▽ ̄)~ idk I just really like his voice even though he sounds fairly similar in a lot of his roles. i mean it's not like he's cast badly at all it's just that I am rlly bad at identifying voices and yet i can pinpoint him every time

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • As for me... dub is Japanese, I can't say much about English VAs...
    So... I guess Sarah as Ash... from the time I actually watched something in English...
    As I know seiyuus more than VAs... Yuuki Aoi as Iris is my favorite from Japanese cast =)

Years
  • Mine has got to be Jamie McGonnigal, who voiced Barry in the Diamond and Pearl series (dub). Every episode featuring Barry would guarantee some laughing from me as he attempts to fine people.

My favourite line is from 'Jumping Rocket Ship!' (DP103 in the dub):

'Man, this blimps so slow, I'm fining someone for boring me to tears!'

Infinite Latios

Champion
    Years
  • I like whoever they had voice Dawn. Veronica Taylor did a very good job, and I like the first Meowth voice as well. I honestly think Pokemon is the only anime that 4Kids didn't screw up.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I like whoever they had voice Dawn. Veronica Taylor did a very good job, and I like the first Meowth voice as well. I honestly think Pokemon is the only anime that 4Kids didn't screw up.

Emily Jenness voiced Dawn, while Maddie Blaustein was the first voice of Meowth.

I also forgot to mention Dan Green and Wayne Grayson. I get a bit of a Yu-Gi-Oh vibe when I listen to a Pokemon character that they voice.

Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2013
    4Kids

Veronica Taylor (Ash)
    Veronica Taylor (May)
    Veronica Taylor (Delia)
    Eric Stuart (Brock)
    Eric Stuart (James)
    Rachael Lillis (Misty)
    Rachael Lillis (Jessie)
    Maddie Blaustein (Meowth)
    Amy Birnbaum (Max)
    Stuart Zagnit (Professor Oak)

TPCi

Sarah Natochenny (Ash: BW Only)
    Nicholas DiMichele (N)
    Jason Griffith (Cilan)

Best: Veronica Taylor (Ash)- The sheer amount of time, dedication, love, and effort put into her work in the role...how can I not love it?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2013
    Veronica Taylor, Maddie Blaustein and Eric Stuart(real shame he's retired form voice acting).

Years
  • Veronica Taylor was an amazing VA and I really, really do miss her. She did such a wide range of characters and I had no clue she voiced May until about a year or two ago. While I've only seen a few of the dubbed DP episodes, Dawn's voice was quite fitting and true to her original Japanese voice as well.

Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2013
    Veronica Taylor was an amazing VA and I really, really do miss her. She did such a wide range of characters and I had no clue she voiced May until about a year or two ago. While I've only seen a few of the dubbed DP episodes, Dawn's voice was quite fitting and true to her original Japanese voice as well.

Veronica was a superb VA. Personally, I feel like the whole 4Kids cast put so much life into their work, and made the show exciting and fun to watch. Without Veronica and the original voice actors playing Ash and the others...it's just not really Pokemon to me anymore. For me, the dub since Season 9 feels empty, lifeless...I can't even explain it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2013
    Ash's new VA is OK I suppose, but she just can't live up to Taylor. I remember when I first saw that Mirage Pokemon special and heard the new VAs for the first time, I was like "what the hell?!" James VA is particular stuck out like a sore thumb, he's no Eric Stuart that's for sure. In time I eventually got used to the new VAs but can't help but miss the old ones.

Back