• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Video Game Genre?

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    I lean towards visual novels and story-driven games with puzzles and mystery - Ace Attorney and 999 are games I really like for instance. Other than that I also have a thing for fighting games such as Tekken and Street Fighter and only recently Metroidvania.

Last edited:
    Years
  • RPG games are simply the best, they're the main games I can really lose myself and get immersed in, feeling like I'm actually experiencing an adventure.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • RPG's would probably be my favorite. I don't game as much as I used to, but I logged over six hundres hours on Pokemon Black, and probably equalled that with Skyrim.

Nowadays I just like games I can pick up, play with some friends, and then put them down again. So I guess multi-player games like League of Legends, Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare, and Rocket League will be the ones I play once I actually get internet again.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    A good first person shooter is hard to top. I think I have put more hours into them than Pokemon.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • This is a really tough one for me. I like a lot of really varied games. First Person Shooters have definitely been a genre I have played quite a lot, but I often feel the limitations of expectation with them. It's very rare these days for me to see one that actually breaths life into me, like the new Doom did.

I love a fair number of RPGs too, and with them there actually is a lot more variation than in FPS games. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is one of my first loves, but it's also completely different from other RPGs I enjoy, like Kingdom Hearts. In some ways I almost feel like RPGs are a non genre with how disparate they can be from each other, acting more as a set of elements that are in some games, the same way that Horror is not really a definable genre for games as we usually think of it.

Speaking of horror, many of you may know already that I am a horror nut. But to be honest that mostly is applicable to film. I like horror games, but I often find them to be stressful, I really can't name them as my top.

You might have seen this coming, because of my avatar, but my heart has always belonged to platformer games. I haven't played as many as I would like in recent years, and that may be attributed to the abundance of FPSs on the market, but I do think that the platformer is the ultimate when it comes to making games that are, you know, actually games. I like a good story as much as the next guy, but it often pushes the gameplay off to the side. Platformers don't need a lot of plot though, and can do some really creative things without breaking the mold of being a platformer. Recently I've been delving into the sub-set of platformers called Metroid-vanias with such titles as Shantae and the Pirate's Curse and the original Metroid (which is a real slog, god it's hard) and I'm really loving them! Been playing Shovel Knight, too (it's great with my GN6). We live in a great time for platformers. I want to play Freedom Planet really bad because it has the Sonic style gameplay with more combat. PLATFORMERS!

Cordeline

7th Horizon: Märchen
    Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2021
    Have any good ones to recommend my way? (:

Sure! The Tales Of games is my favorite videogame series ever. I haven't played all of them, but all the ones I have were awesome! The ones I played are:

Tales of Symphonia (Game Cube, PS3, and PC)
    Tales of Symphonia II: Dawn of the New World. (Sequel to Symphonia, originally released for Wii, later for PS3 and PC).
    Tales of the Abyss (PS2, 3DS).
    Tales of Vesperia (for Xbox 360 in America only, Xbox 360 and PS3 in Japan - the PS3 one has an extra character and more to do).
    Tales of Graces(originally for Wii, re-released for PS3 as Tales of Graces F).
    Tales of Hearts(Originally for DS I think, later re-released as Tales of Hearts R for Vita).
    Tales of Zestiria (PS3, PS4, PC)
    Tales of Berseria (PS3 in Japan, PS4, and PC) Actually haven't played it yet, but I already have the game!)
    Tales of Xillia (PS3)
    Tales of Xillia 2 (PS3)

They are all really good. I think the Xillia ones are my favorite ones, but Graces has a special place in my heart because it was my first one, and Abyss is special to me too because I watched my brothers play it all the time before I played it myself haha.

Didn't really like Vesperia though. It had very nice visuals but it lacked one thing that I like a lot in Tales games and this one didn't have it: character development. Many people love it though! So you should play it and see if you like it or not ^^

-----

Another favorite series of mine is the Legend of Heroes series. The games are actually very old but they have been adapted a few times for different system. Makes me sad they didn't receive more hype in the west, because they are awesome. :(

The ones I played are:

Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermilion
    Legend of Heroes: Prophecy of the White Witch
    Legend of Heroes: Song of the Ocean
    Legend of Heroes IV: Trails in the Sky

I played them all for PSP and I highly recommend them ^-^.

There's more games of them that are new ones (they are not adaptations of the old Dragon Slayer games), sadly I have yet to play them :(.

------

Another series that I loooove, but haven't been able to play much of, is the Golden Sun series for GBA. The first two games are for GBA and the last one for the DS. I have yet to play the DS one, but I will eventually ^-^.

I will edit this if I remember more! I get too hyped talking about Tales hahaha sometimes it makes me forget things.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Another favorite series of mine is the Legend of Heroes series. The games are actually very old but they have been adapted a few times for different system. Makes me sad they didn't receive more hype in the west, because they are awesome. :(

The ones I played are:

There's more games of them that are new ones (they are not adaptations of the old Dragon Slayer games), sadly I have yet to play them :(.

------

Another series that I loooove, but haven't been able to play much of, is the Golden Sun series for GBA. The first two games are for GBA and the last one for the DS. I have yet to play the DS one, but I will eventually ^-^.

I will edit this if I remember more! I get too hyped talking about Tales hahaha sometimes it makes me forget things.
    YES, YES, YES!
    Kiseki lovers are always awesome to see =D

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Sure! The Tales Of games is my favorite videogame series ever. I haven't played all of them, but all the ones I have were awesome! The ones I played are:

Tales of Symphonia (Game Cube, PS3, and PC)
    Tales of Symphonia II: Dawn of the New World. (Sequel to Symphonia, originally released for Wii, later for PS3 and PC).
    Tales of the Abyss (PS2, 3DS).
    Tales of Vesperia (for Xbox 360 in America only, Xbox 360 and PS3 in Japan - the PS3 one has an extra character and more to do).
    Tales of Graces(originally for Wii, re-released for PS3 as Tales of Graces F).
    Tales of Hearts(Originally for DS I think, later re-released as Tales of Hearts R for Vita).
    Tales of Zestiria (PS3, PS4, PC)
    Tales of Berseria (PS3 in Japan, PS4, and PC) Actually haven't played it yet, but I already have the game!)
    Tales of Xillia (PS3)
    Tales of Xillia 2 (PS3)

They are all really good. I think the Xillia ones are my favorite ones, but Graces has a special place in my heart because it was my first one, and Abyss is special to me too because I watched my brothers play it all the time before I played it myself haha.

Didn't really like Vesperia though. It had very nice visuals but it lacked one thing that I like a lot in Tales games and this one didn't have it: character development. Many people love it though! So you should play it and see if you like it or not ^^

-----

Another favorite series of mine is the Legend of Heroes series. The games are actually very old but they have been adapted a few times for different system. Makes me sad they didn't receive more hype in the west, because they are awesome. :(

The ones I played are:

------

As a Xbox user, this list makes me sad ): Solid list nonetheless!

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    As a Xbox user, this list makes me sad ): Solid list nonetheless!

I know right, all the fun jrpgs I want are on playstation. Thinking about getting rid of my ps2 and ps3 for a ps4, just so I can get some of the new games.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • I've been hooked on JRPGs since playing FFIX back in the day. I do enjoy platformers, survival horror and even the occasional fighting game. (despite being terrible at them) JRPGs are my first love though.

Back