• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Video Game OST

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
  • I amlistening to the OST of the game Minecraft while I am studying and it make me wonder what are your favorite Video Game OST? If you could only pick one?

Minecraft is my favorite OST. It's so... calm. Peaceful.
    But I love the OST of Banjo Kazzoie/Tooie too, and Diddy Kong Racing. Rare had so many good songs...

So what about you?

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
  • Undertale has a fantastic OST. Usually I don't pay a whole lot of attention to background music when I'm playing a game, but with Undertale it was hard not to notice it. It's used to such great effect.

This one is a particular fave.

Last edited:

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Humm that make me realize I forgot to say Ori and the Blind Forest. This is awesome.

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2015
    I do not like the OST of the game minecraft because it makes me sleepy, so eliminating the concentration level at the time of playing games

pkmin3033

NieR. NieR has the most spectacular soundtrack I have ever heard, and it's easily my favourite, no contest. It uses a fantastically wide range of vocal styles to project an atmosphere that transforms the game into a truly unforgettable experience. Vocals in nearly every track. The only vocals you usually hear in video games are reserved for opening themes, are trashy pop songs, or reserved for final bosses. NieR just uses vocals for nearly everything, and the results are amazing. What amazes me is how much atmosphere can be conveyed in the area themes - Hills of Radiant Wind makes me forget entirely just how dark the game is, and Cold Steel Coffin is the scariest town theme I have ever heard. I've heard final boss themes that pack less of a punch than that! The Wretched Automatons crawls into my skull and refuses to leave, and The Ultimate Weapon makes Emil's mansion creepier than any Resident Evil game. Then you've got the boss themes. The Dark Colossus Destroys All is pretty aptly named, and as for Song of Ancients - Fate...well. Then you've got Ashes of Dreams, which is the only ending song that has made me cry...although that was more the context than the song, I suppose. It's a beautiful way to end it, though, and that they made a different version for each ending was nice.

I could link to every song from NieR's OST; it's that freakin' good. I knew from the second I heard Blu Bird on the teaser website that the game was going to be something special, and Okabe really outdid himself with the OST.

...that said, The God-Slaying Sword from Xenoblade remains the best final boss theme ever. When it hits 3:12...yeaaaaaaaah. Despite the immense aggravation the second form of the final boss caused me, I dragged the third form out just so I could kill him at the climax. Because DAMN.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Chrono Cross probably redefined what I desired in video games. I've yet to find a game where music is used as a medium to convey such emotion. It's been 16 years since I first played it and it's still, for me, the perfect blend of music and storytelling. It undoubtedly nurtured my love for video game music.

Sample:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

EternalSushi

Fresh for a lifetime.
    Years
    • Age 27
    • HK
    • Seen Sep 9, 2017
    Undertale gets my vote again. There's not a single track I dislike, and that's quite amazing. Normally I'd suggest something like the Pokemon OST as it's truly wonderful and has inspired a lot of my compositions, but even those soundtracks have 'eh' themes. Every fight theme or atmospheric music is perfect.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Donkey Kong Country 2. It's Donkey Kong Country 2. It's always Donkey Kong Country 2 and it will forever be Donkey Kong Country 2.

Forest Interlude
    Mining Melancholy
    Hot Head Bop
    Stickerbush Symphony
    Krook's March

Absolute masterpiece

Shoutouts to David Wise for coming close with Tropical Freeze though. Best OST of the generation by far.

Amiss Abyss (Honestly my favourite of all time)
    Homecoming Hijinx
    Big Top Bop
    Wing Ding
    Seashore War

And the jazzy version of Stickerbush Symphony in the credits is pure bliss.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Probably either NieR or Chrono Trigger. They're both just so good!

NieR's is a lot better than the game itself. It's probably one of my most listened to albums of all time but I've never really had any desire to replay the game itself, so the music stands alone and I don't really associate it with any part of the game. So I mean, it's great music, but maybe not as good of a "soundtrack" if that makes any sense.

Chrono Trigger though, it's good to listen to on its own AND it really fits the game as well. It fit so well that even the first time I played it (only when the DS port came out), it sounded so nostalgic because it just fit. When I listen to the OST, even though I've only played the game twice, I can place a lot of the tracks to the visuals and gameplay. Just listening to it feels like playing to some extent.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    Mine's probably completely random and is from a franchise not even known for its music, but SimCity 4 has the best video game soundtrack I've ever heard. There are other games out there that I do like the music of, but there's always one or two tracks that I can't stand. With SC4, I love all the songs from that game. They're also the perfect songs to go with the idea of the game. Like, if I was playing a god over a portion of the world, then that's the music that I'd expect to be hearing.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/Yellow. Forget what you've heard from the reverb and sound effect-ridden version in common circulation, and try this stereo rip. I can't bear listening to 8-bit music for very long though, so at work or when lying in bed I like to put the soundtrack of X: Beyond the Frontier on shuffle; I find it very relaxing and nostalgic.

Though I'm not personally very fond of it, a soundtrack I feel objectively obligated to mention is Jet Set Radio Future's.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen yesterday
    The Undertale OST is rapidly becoming one of my favorites, I can't stop listening to it. If I can only pick one, it's this one atm.

Prior to that, most of my favorite video game OSTs are from Square Enix games, namely Final Fantasy X, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII and The World Ends With You.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Can't go wrong with Mega Man 2. As someone who fell into a bit of a retro gaming phase, I played a lot of MM2 and fell for the music. 8-bit goodness in its finest form, a favourite being Bubble Man's stage.

As for my number one? Well, did you really expect me to not talk about Touhou? The 14th game bears my most-loved OST of any game. Here's an example of one of the songs.

As for Undertale, seems I can't ever escape people praising its music. I might as well give it a try some day. :)

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • I really like Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal's music a lot, can't really explain why, maybe nostalgia, but it's just really good music.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • NieR. NieR has the most spectacular soundtrack I have ever heard, and it's easily my favourite, no contest. It uses a fantastically wide range of vocal styles to project an atmosphere that transforms the game into a truly unforgettable experience. Vocals in nearly every track. The only vocals you usually hear in video games are reserved for opening themes, are trashy pop songs, or reserved for final bosses. NieR just uses vocals for nearly everything, and the results are amazing. What amazes me is how much atmosphere can be conveyed in the area themes - Hills of Radiant Wind makes me forget entirely just how dark the game is, and Cold Steel Coffin is the scariest town theme I have ever heard. I've heard final boss themes that pack less of a punch than that! The Wretched Automatons crawls into my skull and refuses to leave, and The Ultimate Weapon makes Emil's mansion creepier than any Resident Evil game. Then you've got the boss themes. The Dark Colossus Destroys All is pretty aptly named, and as for Song of Ancients - Fate...well. Then you've got Ashes of Dreams, which is the only ending song that has made me cry...although that was more the context than the song, I suppose. It's a beautiful way to end it, though, and that they made a different version for each ending was nice.

I could link to every song from NieR's OST; it's that freakin' good. I knew from the second I heard Blu Bird on the teaser website that the game was going to be something special, and Okabe really outdid himself with the OST.

...that said, The God-Slaying Sword from Xenoblade remains the best final boss theme ever. When it hits 3:12...yeaaaaaaaah. Despite the immense aggravation the second form of the final boss caused me, I dragged the third form out just so I could kill him at the climax. Because DAMN.
    I haven't played NieR but after watching Automata's trailer, I wanted to hear some of the original's OST. And my god, was I in for an unexpected experience! I expected it to sound good since I had expectations from watching Automata's trailer (it sounded great! and people said first game's music was similar). But I ended up getting so addicted to some of the tracks that I played them on loop for god knows how long. I haven't heart ALL the songs yet but the ten or so I've heard are all excellent. <3;

Two games that come to mind as soon as I think "Amazing VG OSTs" are Undertale and Super Meat Boy. Love every goddamn track from Undertale and SMB's each track was catchy as ****. Can't fault either of the two. They're masterpieces in my eyes.

Nothing comes to mind right now but I'll post more if I can recollect.

Back