• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favourite Console?

KnilShadowLink

#1 Arcanine Fanboy
    Years
    Oh boy I can't wait to see all the fanboys that starts a giant war here.
    Anyways...SNES, SEGA Genesis, N64, Gamecube, Gameboy Pocket/Color/Advance/SP, PS2, Xbox360

I know it's a lot, but they're all amazing. I've narrowed it down to those, but I can't choose choose any further.

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
    The N64

Ahh, the N64. I remember all the afternoons I burned away playing a certain racer. If you said Diddy Kong Racing or Mario Kart 64, you'd be wrong. Snowboarding Kids, too bad Atlas had to screw things up with SBK. They're not even kids anymore. Also, the game itself is pretty bad.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    These are my Favorite consoles.

Newer Consoles - PS3, DS, Gamecube
    Older Consoles - Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    If the gimmick worked, I wouldn't be so hard on it. It's bad; it is painful to play the kinds of games that I like with it. I don't fault the developers; the Wiimote works fine for the kind of stuff that I don't care about, but for FPS or RTS or whatnot, it's a horrible controller (surprising; you'd think FPS would be able to utilize it nicely, but it doesn't). There's a reason all the good FPSes are only released on 360 or PS3; it's because it's terrible for controlling those sort of games.

Doesn't work? what the hell?, what games have you been playing?

It works 10x better for FPSs, it makes it much easier to aim, and it overall becomes much more involving. Seriously, what games are you playing?

The reason that they're not made for Wii is because developers are all about money, and they can be narrow minded and think that only families own a Wii, which is far from the truth..Every Nintendo forum is crying out for more "hardcore" games, but the ones that have come out have sold poorly, not because of the genre, but because the games weren't actually any good, e.g. The Conduit, Onslaught.

A gimmick is literally a clever ploy or strategy. Nintendo is using the Wiimote as a selling point to draw in more people. And it worked. That doesn't mean it's a good input device, it means Nintendo knows how to market. Sure, you can pick up a Wiimote and Wii Sports and have a good time for fifteen minutes or so. And then what? I'm not a casual gamer; I want games that draw me in, that have staying power and epic stories and engrossing gameplay. The kind of games that are released for other systems. Sure, Nintendo itself releases a few good hits now and then, but besides that, the Wii has the same problem the GCN had: very few good third party games. In fact, I'd argue it has fewer good third party (or first party) games. At least the GCN didn't have the casual market to repel developers from investing money into something worth playing.

I really can't see your big problem with the Wiimote...Are you really that lazy that you can't put in the odd shake or wave to make your gameplay a bit more involving..really?

Also, do you think that every Wii owner just plays Wii sports all day?

Anyway, Zelda, Red Steel, Metroid, Little King's Story, HotD: Overkill, The Final Fantasy Exclusives, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Baroque, No More Heroes, Opoona, are very involving and all have great story lines, there are others also.

Which indicates that a better input device would be something without motion controls. Something along the lines of a GCN controller.

You know you can use it for alot of games, right?

Bold indicates my points on your un-needed hatred.

Last edited:

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Bold indicates my points on your un-needed hatred.
    Thanks for the terrible formatting that makes me virtually unable to respond to you.

Also, debate does not equal hatred. Debate equals debate. I bought the Wii. I bought games for it (quite a few; I have at least 40 or so). They're all games that were rated highly on Metacritic (most of them are Nintendo games). The ones that are Nintendo games are usually tolerable. The ones that aren't usually either try and fail to put the crappy controller to good use, or simply have you use it like a standard controller.

"It works 10x better for FPS."
    Name one critically or popularly acclaimed FPS that is on the Wii that is not on the PS3 or 360. Better yet, name one good FPS that was released on the PS3/360 and sported an equivalent Wii release. You can't, because the FPSes for Wii are terrible and control horribly, while the ones for PS3/360 usually control very well and are often fun to play.

"Developers are all about money"
    You think Nintendo isn't all about money?

"The ones that came out weren't that good"
    Hard to make something good when the input is a pile of fail.

"I really can't see your big problem with the Wiimote...Are you really that lazy that you can't put in the odd shake or wave to make your gameplay a bit more involving..really?"
    I don't mind moving my hands or whatever to play, if it works. The stylus works. The Sixaxis controller works. Those both use movement, and I love them. The problem is that the Wii controller is a pile of crap that just fails to control well.

"Zelda"
    Good game

"Metroid"
    Good game

"Red Steel"
    Crap game, I have it and it controls miserably. This review sums up my feelings pretty well.
    Armchair Emprie said:
    A huge disappointment. The general concept is decent, but the game never evolves past that. The controls are frustrating, and the aesthetic / story of the game is such a yawn fest that only those with tremendous patience will be able to persevere for more than ten minutes at a time.

"Little King's Story"
    Recent release, haven't gotten around to trying/buying it yet.

"HotD: Overkill"
    I lol'd. HotD fails so hard, it's actually funny for the first play-through. Then you just hate it. Not to mention nobody actually likes on-rails shooters.

"The Final Fantasy Exclusives"
    Oh yeah, Final Fantasy XIII is really looking to be good, and so is the versus component. Wait, what's that? It's not being released on Wii? Imagine that! What do we Wii owners get, then? "My Life as a King?" I can't believe I spent money on that heaping pile of garbage. Disappointing, to say the least.

"Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn"
    Tolerable game, but not nearly as good as the GBA/DS variants.

"Baroque"
    I can't even believe you mentioned this trash. I tried it once, and it was the worst mistake of my life. Nintendo Power themselves said it best.
    Nintndo Power said:
    All in all, Baroque has few redeeming qualities, and your money is better spent elsewhere. (Apr 2008, p.90)

"No More Heroes"
    One of the few third party Wii games I actually enjoyed, though it is a bit repetitive (not surprising, since it's Ubisoft).

"Opoona"
    The only great thing about this game is the great amount of mediocrity it entails.

So of a non-random sample of games you specifically recommended, we have 2 good first-party games, 1 tolerable first-party game, a good third-party game, something I haven't tried, and five trash games. Wonder what an actual random sample of games would entail? My guess is trash. Normally, I don't complain about the game selection, as that's a low blow to any Nintendo system. Most third-party games for Nintendo systems are trash these days. But you brought it up, so I responded in kind.

But hey, if you like the system, don't let me stop you. If you think it's great and spectacular, you keep playing your five good games per year. I'll be over here with the rest of the gaming industry, enjoying the wonderful selection (and GOOD CONTROLS) that the rest of the world has to offer.

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    sigh.

[jq]"It works 10x better for FPS."
    Name one critically or popularly acclaimed FPS that is on the Wii that is not on the PS3 or 360. Better yet, name one good FPS that was released on the PS3/360 and sported an equivalent Wii release. You can't, because the FPSes for Wii are terrible and control horribly, while the ones for PS3/360 usually control very well and are often fun to play.[/jq]

I never said there was a "critically acclaimed" FPS on the Wii, but the ones that are on the console control very well.

Modern Warfare is an answer to the other statement.

[jq]"Developers are all about money"
    You think Nintendo isn't all about money?[/jq]

No, I don't think that at all, but they aren't excactly going to go making games for their rivals now, are they?

[jq]"The ones that came out weren't that good"
    Hard to make something good when the input is a pile of fail.[/jq]

What? Every game on the Wii responds fine to the controller, seriously..I have no idea where you are getting this crap from.

[jq]"Red Steel"
    Crap game, I have it and it controls miserably. This review sums up my feelings pretty well.[/jq]

No. People constantly complain about the control issues with this game..I just don't seem to get it.

[jq]"HotD: Overkill"
    I lol'd. HotD fails so hard, it's actually funny for the first play-through. Then you just hate it. Not to mention nobody actually likes on-rails shooters.[/jq]

That's your opinion. Overkill has gotten positive reviews all-round from magazines, and rightly so..It's amusing and fun. Also, House of the Dead is the second biggest Zombie franchise, second to that only of Resi..And I suppose it's only successful because it "fails so hard".

Also, you =/= everyone.

[jq]"The Final Fantasy Exclusives"
    Oh yeah, Final Fantasy XIII is really looking to be good, and so is the versus component. Wait, what's that? It's not being released on Wii? Imagine that! What do we Wii owners get, then? "My Life as a King?" I can't believe I spent money on that heaping pile of garbage. Disappointing, to say the least.[/jq]

Oh my you are hilarious.

I didn't mention FFXIII at all, I was talking about Chocobo's Dungeon, Crystal Chronicles. They are both fully fledged Final Fantasy games that are great.

My Life as a King is apretty good God game, Pricey..But it has the same content as buying a retail game. My Life as a Dark Lord is addicting as hell also.

[jq]"Baroque"
    I can't even believe you mentioned this trash. I tried it once, and it was the worst mistake of my life. Nintendo Power themselves said it best./jq]

Not the best game ever, but it's a great challenge for the "hardcore" gamer.

[jq]So of a non-random sample of games you specifically recommended, we have 2 good first-party games, 1 tolerable first-party game, a good third-party game, something I haven't tried, and five trash games. Wonder what an actual random sample of games would entail? My guess is trash. Normally, I don't complain about the game selection, as that's a low blow to any Nintendo system. Most third-party games for Nintendo systems are trash these days. But you brought it up, so I responded in kind.[/jq]

You were talking about "story-line" games, "Involving" game, hense I named some.

I could name better games, but I don't want to waste my time replying to your claims of "bad controls" or "lolfailsohard"

[jq]But hey, if you like the system, don't let me stop you. If you think it's great and spectacular, you keep playing your five good games per year. I'll be over here with the rest of the gaming industry, enjoying the wonderful selection (and GOOD CONTROLS) that the rest of the world has to offer.[/jq]

Why would I let people like you stop me enjoying myself?.

I don't think it's "spectacular", I just have to defend it from the steaming piles of crap that people like you keep throwing at it for stupid reasons.

Of course, because I'm the only one who owns a Wii. 53 million is a big number.

Also, I own a PS3, and I prefer it to my Wii..But, oh look, the controls are no better...They are just different.

twocows

Years
    Your opinion is clearly superior to mine, since you sighed at me.

[jq] I never said there was a "critically acclaimed" FPS on the Wii, but the ones that are on the console control very well.

Modern Warfare is an answer to the other statement.[/jq]
    Disagree with the first statement. Modern Warfare was dumbed down for the Wii release; I said one that wasn't dumbed down.

[jq]What? Every game on the Wii responds fine to the controller, seriously..I have no idea where you are getting this crap from.[/jq]I'm beginning to wonder if you've actually played any third party Wii games.

[jq]No. People constantly complain about the control issues with this game..I just don't seem to get it.[/jq]I do. The controls are bad. It's quite simple.

[jq]That's your opinion. (no kidding) Overkill has gotten positive reviews all-round from magazines, and rightly so..It's amusing and fun. Also, House of the Dead is the second biggest Zombie franchise, second to that only of Resi..And I suppose it's only successful because it "fails so hard".[/jq]
    At least 10 reviews for it on Metacritic were 70 or below. Overall, the scores were "generally favorable," which is tantamount to saying the game was "generally tolerable."

[jq]Also, you =/= everyone.[/jq]Thanks for enlightening me, I thought I was everyone.

[jq]Oh my you are hilarious.

I didn't mention FFXIII at all, I was talking about Chocobo's Dungeon, Crystal Chronicles. They are both fully fledged Final Fantasy games that are great.[/jq]Haven't heard of the first, and I thought the second one hasn't been released. Another thing for me to look into, but considering that it is on Wii, my hopes are not high.

[jq]My Life as a King is apretty good God game, Pricey..But it has the same content as buying a retail game. My Life as a Dark Lord is addicting as hell also.[/jq]I don't understand how MLaaK can even be considered a game. It's like SimCity meets reviewing your taxes.

[jq] Not the best game ever, but it's a great challenge for the "hardcore" gamer.[/jq]No, Contra is a great challenge for the hardcore gamer. Bad controls and bad gameplay is a challenge to keep your sanity.

[jq]You were talking about "story-line" games, "Involving" game, hense I named some.[/jq]If those are "involving," I'm a rock star. There is one Wii game I'm looking forward to; I can't remember the name, but it's some game where you play as a guy in post-apocalyptic Tokyo, where everyone except you is dead (I think that's how it goes).

[jq]I could name better games, but I don't want to waste my time replying to your claims of "bad controls" or "lolfailsohard"[/jq]So anyone that disagrees with you is a troll? I didn't say "lolfailsohard." I said the Wiimote is a heaping pile of failure, and it is (or, as you so eloquently put it, "THAT IS MY OPINION RAH RAH..." what, I can twist your words, too).

[jq] Why would I let people like you stop me enjoying myself?[/jq]
    People like you. Oh man, that gets me every time. What, do you think I'm some sort of inferior species for disagreeing? Jeez.

[jq]I don't think it's "spectacular", I just have to defend it from the steaming piles of crap that people like you keep throwing at it for stupid reasons.[/jq]Mature. You don't have to "defend it." There will always be people that dislike a system. Why you feel like you have to go out of your way to prove them wrong is beyond me. I don't like it, and I know a lot of people who agree with me. Your insane fanboy-ism isn't going to change that fact.

[jq]Of course, because I'm the only one who owns a Wii. 53 million is a big number.[/jq]While you're pulling numbers out of your rear, I think I'll join in. I'm sure at least 52.9 million of those people are "casual gamers" who, through no fault of their own, are ruining the gaming industry for the rest of us.

[jq]Also, I own a PS3, and I prefer it to my Wii..But, oh look, the controls are no better...They are just different.[/jq]The game with the worst controls that I've played on PS3 still has better controls than the best of the Wii games (this includes first-party games like Galaxy, Zelda, and such).

Years
    I'm just going to cut into your conversation with a slight correction.

"No More Heroes"
    One of the few third party Wii games I actually enjoyed, though it is a bit repetitive (not surprising, since it's Ubisoft).
    The game was developed by Grasshopper Manufacture who made killer7 and Contact among other games.
    The only involvement Ubisoft had with this game is that they published it in North America.

Samurai X

La Dolce Vita
    Years
    My favorite consoles of this generation have been the DS and the 360, they have been since the beginning and still are now. The game libraries are pretty amazing for my tastes and XBL is wonderful.

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    As I don't want to waste my time.

All I can really say "twocows" is that, why are you playing these third party games in the first place? of course there are bad 3rd party games that control like crap.

It's not the console's fault, it's the developers that can't utilise the Wii properly.

Play some good games instead of picking up the games that have a reputation for being awful.

twocows

Years
    As I don't want to waste my time.

All I can really say "twocows" is that, why are you playing these third party games in the first place? of course there are bad 3rd party games that control like crap.

It's not the console's fault, it's the developers that can't utilise the Wii properly.

Play some good games instead of picking up the games that have a reputation for being awful.
    Not sure why you put my name in quotes, but whatever. I try to give a few interesting third party games a chance on any console. It's just that, with the Wii, the controls for them usually aren't any good. Sure, you can blame the developers, but when there are just so many that control poorly, I have to think that maybe the input device isn't as good as it's cracked up to be.

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    If the input device wasn't any good, then no games would control well.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    Just a reminder to keep things level-headed, guys. Watch the tempers and respect others' opinions. :>

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
    DS is my favorite hands down, despite it's not really much of a console. I'm always on the run and there is nothing better than a miniature system that can be on the run with me. :)

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    When did the DS become a console?

Uhh... my favourite console of all time would be the Nintendo 64. I had loads of fun playing that as a kid. Between Nintendo and Rare everything was just...awesome.

From today? I don't know. I have a 360 and a Wii. I play them both about equally and there's stuff I like and dislike about them both.

BenRK

That One Guy!
    Years
    Me, I'm building an HTPC, and when I'm done building it, it will be my favorite game console.

As for the DS being a console, it is a console. They're called Hand Held Game Consoles. Smaller console, but a console none the less.

I said console so much that it has lost all meaning.

Back