• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Fifth Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Here's a new question: if I use Memory Link between a completed Black version (that i've beaten the Champion in) and a Black 2 version that I haven't started, but then proceed to erase the save later (which I might have to depending on how the Black 2 playthrough i'm about to do goes early on), would anything happen? Would I not be able to use Memory Link again or can I use it as many times with one BW version as I want? I erased the save in my White version that I linked my main White 2 version with around release... Thanks!

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2015
    Hey guys, just getting back into pokemon. Trying to understand EV training. I get the gist of it, but the numbers don't seem to add up for me. For instance, I was training my Gliscor in defense in Black 2 at the relic castle, and I was only battling yamask and sandshrew which should give me 1 def EV each. My Gliscor had the pokerus and was equipped with the power belt. Why was it taking 2-3 defeated pokemon to see a 1 point defense stat change?

Years
  • Hey guys, just getting back into pokemon. Trying to understand EV training. I get the gist of it, but the numbers don't seem to add up for me. For instance, I was training my Gliscor in defense in Black 2 at the relic castle, and I was only battling yamask and sandshrew which should give me 1 def EV each. My Gliscor had the pokerus and was equipped with the power belt. Why was it taking 2-3 defeated pokemon to see a 1 point defense stat change?

4 EVs equal one stat point, not 1 EV.

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2015
    4 EVs equal one stat point, not 1 EV.

I'm aware 4 EV's is one stat point, but with the Pokerus AND power belt I should be getting 10 EV's per battle, correct? Which should be a 2 point defense increase, right? 1 EV from sandshrew/yamask, plus 4 EV's from power belt equipped = 5 EV's x 2 because of the pokerus, should equal 10 EV's per battle... no?

Years
  • I'm aware 4 EV's is one stat point, but with the Pokerus AND power belt I should be getting 10 EV's per battle, correct? Which should be a 2 point defense increase, right? 1 EV from sandshrew/yamask, plus 4 EV's from power belt equipped = 5 EV's x 2 because of the pokerus, should equal 10 EV's per battle... no?
    That's right. If you were to battle a Yamask with the Power Belt, you'd get 5 EVs normally, then the Pokérus would double that to 10. Hope this helps!

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2015
    That's right. If you were to battle a Yamask with the Power Belt, you'd get 5 EVs normally, then the Pokérus would double that to 10. Hope this helps!

So if my math is correct, I should see a 2 point defense raise per yamask/sandshrew under those circumstances. But it still takes me 2-3 defeated pokemon to see a 1 point defense raise. Huh?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    So if my math is correct, I should see a 2 point defense raise per yamask/sandshrew under those circumstances. But it still takes me 2-3 defeated pokemon to see a 1 point defense raise. Huh?
    You don't get the stats all at once unless you're level 100. Idk how to explain it really but since Gen V 4 EVs does not mean your Pokemon will get +1 to the stat after the battle. It kinda alters the growth rate instead.

But regardless you're still getting the stats you need

ElectroFlame

Panda Gamer 4.0
    Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2015
    Friend code?

do u know if u need wifi for friend code if not would u give me yours for black and white 2 thx

Years
  • The wi-fi for 5th Gen has been dead for what has been over a year now so Friend Codes are useless outside of 6th Gen. Nothing really to be worried about here at all.

Years
  • My female Azurill just evolved into a male Marill- what on earth is going on here?

Prior to 6th Gen, there was some weird glitch in the personality value mechanic that made some female Azurill evolve into male Marill. Azurill has a different gender ratio than Marill (Azurill is mostly female while Marill is 50-50) so this makes 1 in 3 female Azurill become male after they evolve.

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2020
    Hey guys, got a decent team heading into the final gym but unsure whether to make a change.

I have got Darmanitan, Stoutland, Samurott, Scrafty, Lilligant and Boldore.

Considering I can't evolve Boldore, I am thinking of getting rid. Can someone suggest a replacement?

On Pokemon White by the way.

Last edited:

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Hey guys, got a decent team heading into the final gym but unsure whether to make a change.

I have got Darmanitan, Stoutland, Samurott, Scrafty, Lilligant and Boldore.

Considering I can't evolve Boldore, I am thinking of getting rid. Can someone suggest a replacement?

On Pokemon White by the way.

You might want to add Reuniclus to counter your Fighting type weakness as Stoutland, Scrafty and even Boldore, who's getting replaced soon has Fighting-moves as their weakness. AndI personally would go with this.

If you want a Dragon-type and believe that training a Pokémon in their late level 20s isn't a problem, you can catch an Axew an Mistralton Cave. It evolves into its final form around level forties.

Notable mentions include Deino and Rufflet, their evolutions are great for in game. But they evolve late, specially Deino. Not to mention, you encounter them only after receiving your final badge.

Years
  • Adding onto what was said, Sigilyph is another solid contender alongside Reuniclus for a Psychic-type. They are a fairly rare encounter in the Desert Resort and can have the Magic Guard ability which is really good, along with learning a lot of interesting moves as well. Used one in Black 2 and never disappointed.

Reactions: Sun

Nidorina of Time Lord

Waiting for the Sun to come...
    Years
  • I'm on White 2, and I'm trying to get into the store on route 9, but there is ice in the way. Is it impossible to get in there? If so, is there anywhere else I can buy quick balls?

Thank you.

Years
  • I'm on White 2, and I'm trying to get into the store on route 9, but there is ice in the way. Is it impossible to get in there? If so, is there anywhere else I can buy quick balls?

Thank you.

Watch this to find out how. I'd recommend skipping to 24:40 to see how you get across the ice to Shopping Mall Nine.

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2015
    Quick Question.

Is there any Pokemon in Platinum that cannot be caught in B2/W2?

I recently got back into Pokemon and I can't find a list or anything of the sort, and I just want to know who I have to get in Platinum to transfer forward.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back