• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Fighting Dojo! Hitmonchan vs. Hitmonlee!

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen yesterday
    On my first playthrough I picked Hitmonlee while everyone else picked Hitmonchan. I was very disappointed at the time because Hitmonchan seemed so much cooler with its elemental punches. It seemed so much more versatile and useful. On the other hand Hitmonlee didn't really seem all that special. It had its kick moves, but they all had a high chance to miss and some even dealt damage to the user.

On reruns I picked Hitmonchan on occasion, but I did realize that Hitmonlee is just better at hitting stuff in gen 1. In that regard I'm more inclined to pick it over its boxing counterpart.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    Hitmonlee was actually part of my original yellow team as a kid. I remember fucking up and putting a dumb move over Hi-Jump Kick and regretting my choice.

Years
  • i was a sucker for elemental punches so definitely hitmonchan!

... except the unfortunate part is that the physical/special split wasn't a thing back then, so the elemental punches went off hitmonchan's garbage special attack. u_u wish i had realised this earlier. if i could re-do my choices, i'd go for hitmonlee.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't remember which one I've picked in my first playthrough.

I personally think Hitmonlee has one of the worst designs in the entire franchise :) but honestly, in Gen 1 it was definitely the "less worse" choice (because they were both bad anyway):
    -It's the only Pokémon with access to a decent Fighting move in the entire game.
    -Has more Attack and Speed, which is the only thing these two mons should care about in Gen 1. Hitmonchan's extra defense is quite pointless, since these two with their atrocious 35 special def. and super low HP will get ohko very easily anyway, so they better just hit fast and hard.
    -Hitmonchan's elemental punches were useless in Gen 1-3.

From Gen 4 onwards, I think Hitmonchan is more interesting, with elemental punches being physical and also being able to learn quite a few interesting punch moves that can get boosted by one of its abilities.

Years
  • I picked Hitmonlee, used it on my team and it was great. I just prefer Hitmonlee's design more and it looks much cooler to me compared to Hitmonchan.

Years
  • Last time I played pokémon yellow I picked Hitmonlee, and would do so again if I re-played. That didn't stop me from chosing Hitmonchan when I was younger because it was just more appealing-looking to me, but I have come to over the years appreciate and prefer Hitmonlee's more unusual design as not quite like any creature you have see before. Whereas Hitmonchan looks more like a human, hitmonlee seems more like a kinda quirky monster. Also Hitmonlee is also definitely a much better Pokemon to use in gen 1 with it's many good stab moves like double kick and the different jump kicks. Hitmonchan got the short end of the stick with the movepool it's debut gen. While Hitmonchan has got much better over the years, I still think hitmonlee is a slightly easier Pokemon to use with the very high attack and being a little bit faster.

Also the reason I pick Hitmonlee is because it represents Bruce Lee. No disrespect to Jackie Chan who is the inspiration behind Hitmonchan. I'm just more of a Bruce Lee girl.

Raj

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • Hitmonlee is who I always choose, mainly because I always preferred attack over defense and that is how it's introduced.

Don't think I've ever seriously raised a Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan or Hitmontop before though. Closest is Pokemon Colosseum, where I used a shadow Hitmontop until it was purified at least.

I think Hitmonchan would likely be a better Pokemon though due to having access to the elemental punches.

tenfrogs

mrs. van mccann
    Years
  • When I was younger I'd always pick Hitmonlee, just cause I thought he had a waaay better design than Hitmonchan. As an adult, I'd still make the same decision although I've softened on Hitmonchan's design to a degree

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I remember choosing Hitmonlee a lot because I always felt that "last time I chose Hitmonchan".. but I don't think I ever really chose Hitmonchan, thinking back.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I always chose Hitmonlee back then, even though I loved both the Hitmons. I always hated the fact that I had to choose one, but I took advantage of that by playing Pokémon Stadium when using my game's save file with the Transfer Pak. Once you defeat the Elite Four in the Gym Leader Castle if my memory serves me correctly, you can be rewarded with the Hitmon that you didn't choose and even the other starters. I preferred Hitmonlee over Hitmonchan because I felt that he hit harder and had better moves. I wasn't a big fan of Hitmonchan's elemental punches back then because they were weak and, at least in generation I, the only real fighting move Hitmonchan could learn was Submission, which was good back then, but too weak for a recoil move, especially with Hitmonchan's Attack stat only being slightly above average. Pokémon like Machamp made better use of Submission with higher Attack and better bulk. Generation II did Hitmonchan a little bit more justice because I recall him being able to be bred better moves such as Hi Jump Kick, while still being able to learn those elemental punches. Nowadays, however, assuming that today's gameplay applies to older games or even a future potential gen I remake that isn't Pokémon Let's Go, I would probably choose Hitmonchan. Hitmonchan being able to hit harder with Iron Fist ability while holding an Expert Belt, physical damage for his elemental punches, and being able to recover HP with Drain Punch makes Hitmonchan fun to use these days regardless of what the Smogon competitive players might say about him. Hitmonlee is also fun to use thanks to his Reckless ability along with High Jump Kick, which can either do massive damage or result in massive damage. Either way, I love them both in different ways for different reasons.

Back