• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen First time playing through the Hoenn region?

Sharrkyy

You don't wait for the storm to end, you learn to
Years
  • Hey Pokémon Fans, Sharrkyy here and I was wondering , how many of you guys have ever played the original Ruby and Sapphire versions?
    Did you play Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, or all three?
    Do you like the remakes or the older ones more?
    Personally I love the remakes (considering I haven't played the originals) and I think it is a great way to experience the Hoenn region.
    Thanks for reading!

~ Shark

Venitardus

Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2018
    I have played all of gen 3 games as well as both remakes. There are certain features that I would have liked to have in the remakes from the originals, but as for an over all game, I prefer the remakes.

Meng Jiaxin

Dragonlord of the Seas
    Years
  • It is my first time in Hoenn too! I am enjoying AS so far, but somehow I find the storyline just isn't as engaging as Unova or Kalos. Sure, the idea of Team Aqua and Team Magma is different, but neither team is properly fleshed out. Especially Maxie in AS, he just appears here and there, but doesn't seem to do that much to actually stop Archie until it is too late. I would have loved it if we could cooperate with Team Magma to bring Team Aqua down, rather then just having Team Magma be non-existent.
    Also, I wish Wally had more screen time because his story is quite interesting. Steven's story is very well done as a champion (much better than Diantha's), but the rival also kind of falls flat as compared to Unova's Cheren, Bianca and Hugh or Kalos' fab four.

But the post-game with soaring is awesome! (legendary hunting FTW).

Years
  • Nope, I actually played the original Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald so I have actually experienced both sides of Hoenn. In fact it's the only region I have played both the original and remake games of.

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
  • I've played through and own all of the original Hoenn games! They were actually my favourite until I discovered emulation and played them so much that I got bored of them! ORAS was pretty was awesome, but if I'm quite honest didn't quite hit the spot. It was wanted for so long that it could just never live up to my expectations! I'm probably just being picky, but I had a much better time playing through Pokémon X for the first time, and that has to kinda be expected. A whole new world and 3D graphics for the first time just had me hooked! I never just sat down and played Omega Ruby for 6 hours non-stop like I did with X! I did enjoy the games, don't get me wrong!

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • I honestly tried to play Emerald I don't know how many times, but every time by the third gym I just completely lost interest. Something about it just... irked me, and it was the ONLY Pokemon game I genuinely could not stay invested in to that point.

Then I played through Hoenn with Alpha Sapphire... and not only is Alpha Sapphire now my favorite game in the series, but Hoenn is now my favorite region. Weird how that worked out.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I'm old and started with Generation 1, so yeah I played the originals long before the remakes. Ruby to be specific. Never played Sapphire or Emerald. Kinda like the remakes better, though for some reason I've played through Ruby 5 different times, more than any other Pokemon game I've played. Though Y has my most total play time at ~613 hours currently.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • My first time in Hoenn was not in ORAS. I played Pokémon Emerald in an emulator on the pc before ORAS came out.
    In my opinion I really like the remakes, they brought new things to the game that never existed on Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2018
    My first time playing through Hoenn was in Sapphire back when it was first released. As much as I love the remakes, nothing can quite compare to exploring a new region for the first time, especially at that age.. I think overall I prefer the new versions, but the experience I had playing the original games was far more immersive.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • My first time playing through Hoenn was in Sapphire back when it was first released. As much as I love the remakes, nothing can quite compare to exploring a new region for the first time, especially at that age.. I think overall I prefer the new versions, but the experience I had playing the original games was far more immersive.

Yeah I know that feeling! It's like a new fresh region to explore, you know nothing about it and you just want to explore and see everything that the region has to offer! When you play the remakes, you already know much more about that region than the first time you played it. But the remakes always bring new things, so it continues to be interesting.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Sapphire was my first Pokemon game! So nope, not my first time playing Hoenn. I still felt like I was playing through a new region, though. I hadn't played Ruby or Sapphire in a long time so I was a bit unfamiliar with that storyline (I've played Emerald like 3 times) and I did not expect to like the 3D as much as I did. May's ingame model is really cute and I didn't like XY that much in terms of looks so I thought I wouldn't like the look of ORAS. And they added so many new features it felt like it had enough new things to keep myself surprised the whole time!

Years
  • Ruby was the first Pokemon game I owned, so ORAS was pretty much re-childhood for me, and in the long run I'd have to say I prefer the new ones; although Ruby was old, it also did my official introduction in Pokemon, but I was also in early elementary school, so I wasn't as immersed into Pokemon at the time as I am now.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Sapphire was my first Pokémon game, so it's not my first time exploring in Hoenn region. For me, there are some things that the original ones do better (like Game Corner and being able to make some mail), and there are some that the remakes do better as well (like unlimited usage of TMs, improved PokéNav, flying with Latias/Latios and Mega Evolution).

Most of the time, the remakes perform better than originals for me.

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2022
    At the time Ruby/Sapphire were released, I was so hyped for them! They felt so fresh and I loved the story. After X/Y, I wasn't so hyped for ORAS cause I knew it was the same story, just with the X/Y graphics. I mean, I love the graphics, and there are some new features like the DexNav which I like, but for me it doesn't meet the levels of the originals.

That being said, when I go back to Hoenn, I think I'm more likely to replay ORAS rather than the GBA games, just cause of the updated graphics and game mechanics.

Summary: enjoyed R/S more at release, but will probably end up playing ORAS more.

SkittyScatty

SkittyScatty
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2015
    I played through Ruby and loved it! I honestly prefer the originals because of the nostalgia but the remakes are awesome too!

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2018
    I played Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. Ruby was the first one I got. I was obsessed with Ruby. I've logged more hours on Pokemon: Ruby and Kingdom Hearts II than I have on every other video game I've ever played combined.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Nope, I actually played the original Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald so I have actually experienced both sides of Hoenn. In fact it's the only region I have played both the original and remake games of.

Same here, except I didn't play Ruby (which is why I choose Omega Ruby). Emerald is probably the game I played the most. For those saying they wished that the other team had more of a role, well GF offered that in Emerald, but sadly not in the RS remakes, so if you're interested try to find a copy of Emerald and try it, it had some good stuff. I prefer Emerald over RS and OrAs.

Back