• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Galarian Ponyta revealed to be Shield exclusive; pure Psychic type

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
Years
This is good for the Shield buyers, who were waiting for the shield exclusive to be revealed. Now, the gen 1 regional makeovers are done, so now we can expect some new information, which may include starter evolutions, new pokemon, maybe some other galar forms if they exist. Coming to the artwork, this Ponyta is one of the most adorable art designs ever, I have to admit it. Sirfetch'd looks good too, but Ponyta is simply too cute.

Years
This definitely solidifies my desire to buy Shield. I couldn't be happier with the exclusive and it's likely in my top 5 mons now! So pretty. hopefully some brand new mons or Galarian forms of Pokémon from places other than Kanto will be revealed next

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • she/her, they/them
  • Seen yesterday
Supposedly the ability prevents and cures poison for Galarian Ponyta and its teammates, so that's a nice ability. Curious to see which type it ends up being, and what exactly the evolution will look like.

Years
I'm excited! I was leaning towards Shield anyway, was liking Zamazenta best of the cover legendaries, but now there is no question of which game I am getting. It has to be Pokemon Shield!! Galarian Ponyta is my favorite gen 8 pokemon revealed so far. I think this is great news for Pokemon Shield as I was a little jealous of Sword getting Sirfetch'd to itself, and wondering if I might need to reconsider my choice of game if Shield didn't get a good answer to him. I have got to have Shield now, end of story.

Last edited:

Cid

Years
Pretty happy to see Shield getting a good exclusive counterpart to Sirfetch'd in Galarian Ponyta. I'm still getting Sword since I like Sirfetch'd more, but Galarian Ponyta is super adorable.

I wonder if this gives us a rough idea on Sirfetch'd's base stat total (perhaps being more or less similar to Rapidash's BST?), since now that they were made counterparts across versions, I notice that Farfetch'd and Ponyta have pretty similar base stat totals, with Ponyta being slightly better (33 stat points better, to be exact). I'm also envisioning a Sirfetch'd riding a Galarian Rapidash for some reason, haha. Whatever the case, I'm excited to see all of the new Pokémon!

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
Now I am glad I preordered the dual pack; The first time since X and Y!

Last edited:
Years
oh jeez... this is making it harder to pick between Sword and Shield since I was leaning Sword because of Galarian Farfetch'd. @_@;

I guess there's no harm in waiting for more version exclusives and seeing which version has the cooler one...

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
So Shield version finally got some nice exclusives too, which makes me reconsider that I might be possibly getting both Sword and Shield (albeit not at the same time yet). What caught me off guard was Galarian Ponyta's typing, though, considering that many are speculating it to be Fairy-type (me included), but I still don't mind :wink-right-eye:

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • he/him
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
So we know of 8 exclusive Pokemon to each version.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 24, 2020
I love it. With G-Pony and Goodra, I'm picking Shield without a doubt

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
I am surprised that Galarian Ponyta is exclusive to Shield considering being in the 24 hour livestream would suggest it would have been in both games but it is what it is.

As I plan to use the Psychic horse in my playthrough and have no plans to ever use Sirfetch'd I will likely get Shield.

If Galarian Rapidash is a Pegasus like Pokemon in then it would be Psychic/Flying.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
...Psychic? Well, that was unexpected. Maybe it'll be like Alolan Vulpix, though, and it'll gain the Fairy type upon evolution? Maybe. I do say, though, that ability sounds like it'll be useless in single battles, since it's situational.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • he / they
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
SHIELD... :( I'm getting Sword, myself. Though, I guess that will become more debatable as we learn the differences between the games.

Very cool to have a Psychic type Ponyta!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
On one hand, I expected Galarian Ponyta to be a Fairy type. On the other hand, since it's a Psychic type, that means I could put it in my team without it having to face competition from Impidimp and Alcremie.

Unless I decide to get Pokemon Sword, of course.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 1, 2023
SHEILDEES RISE UP!

In all seriousness, this cements my faith in getting Sheild for my pre-order. I was worried about Sword because they got Sir'Fetched, but this makes up for it.

I've seen people wonder why it's not a fairy type, but honestly, I can't say it's truly out of the question. When Alolan Vulpix came out it was a pure Ice type but gained the Fairy typing later. It can potentially happen with Rapidash so I'm not too upset about it. Even being a psychic type that knows Fairy Type moves is a huge plus.

Back