• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Games everybody hates but you don't.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Title is paradox?

No, the title is "Games everybody hates but you don't." silly

Also right, XY was the first Pokemon game I'd had legitimate fun with since...Emerald. Gen 4 was a major letdown for me and my relationship with Pokemon was pretty damaged, but when XY came around it was a lot of right for me. Because you have to consider what had changed. Back then it didn't seem like Pokemon was really doing that much to move forward at all. I can't tell you how often I heard people parrot the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" in regards to Pokemon was as an entity.

Which was really dumb, that's a train of thought that hasn't left my brain some 12 years later.

Despite the general opinion of the games, when I played Emerald I had an absolute blast. The colors were vibrant, the art had gotten a major glow up, and there were so many interesting mechanics that'd been added. While I wouldn't say I liked it more than GSC, it did really feel like a next step, and it set a pretty high bar for me for the next one because I felt a similar way about the second generation after having played the first. So it was a pretty big letdown when it was...not that. Like, at all. DP felt like an attempt to focus on so many things that specifically weren't the core gameplay loop, and maybe sprinkle in some more HMs because they definitely aren't an anti-fun feature. BW comes out and I feel...basically the same way. Admittedly it, and especially BW2, did a lot to give the player more to do, and it had a lot of experimental ideas, but overall it felt like a lot smaller of a step than DP did.

So fast forward some number of years. I ignore basically everything I can about XY, less out of disinterest and more because I wanted some surprise. I download it the night it comes out, and it was immediately a unique experience because absolutely nobody had access to it prior to that point. This was the first Worldwide release for a Pokemon game so information just slowly filtered in and that made it a lot of fun. It was especially exciting doing things I usually didn't take part in like the Battle Spot and facing others that were progressing with me, but what really got me was that everything felt new. I remembered so sites saying that it was "just a change in perspective but mostly did nothing different", which to me was a very ironic time to be saying the thing I'd been saying for years because this one actually did do different things. And it was such an adventure too because I didn't know basically any of the new pokemon so just having so many of these "what's this?" moments was really refreshing. Hell, when I first encountered an Espurr I had this SUPER deep gasp and caught it almost immediately. I don't even know why it resonated with me so much but that was easily just one of my favorite pokemon memories in the 10 years I'd been a fan.

Also this being the start of HMs phasing out is a godsend. Anyway, yeah. Loved XY, it's honestly the kind of step I feel like we should've seen by Gen 4 rather than Gen 6 but here we are.

Years
    No, the title is "Games everybody hates but you don't." silly

Also right, XY was the first Pokemon game I'd had legitimate fun with since...Emerald. Gen 4 was a major letdown for me and my relationship with Pokemon was pretty damaged, but when XY came around it was a lot of right for me. Because you have to consider what had changed. Back then it didn't seem like Pokemon was really doing that much to move forward at all. I can't tell you how often I heard people parrot the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" in regards to Pokemon was as an entity.

Which was really dumb, that's a train of thought that hasn't left my brain some 12 years later.

Despite the general opinion of the games, when I played Emerald I had an absolute blast. The colors were vibrant, the art had gotten a major glow up, and there were so many interesting mechanics that'd been added. While I wouldn't say I liked it more than GSC, it did really feel like a next step, and it set a pretty high bar for me for the next one because I felt a similar way about the second generation after having played the first. So it was a pretty big letdown when it was...not that. Like, at all. DP felt like an attempt to focus on so many things that specifically weren't the core gameplay loop, and maybe sprinkle in some more HMs because they definitely aren't an anti-fun feature. BW comes out and I feel...basically the same way. Admittedly it, and especially BW2, did a lot to give the player more to do, and it had a lot of experimental ideas, but overall it felt like a lot smaller of a step than DP did.

So fast forward some number of years. I ignore basically everything I can about XY, less out of disinterest and more because I wanted some surprise. I download it the night it comes out, and it was immediately a unique experience because absolutely nobody had access to it prior to that point. This was the first Worldwide release for a Pokemon game so information just slowly filtered in and that made it a lot of fun. It was especially exciting doing things I usually didn't take part in like the Battle Spot and facing others that were progressing with me, but what really got me was that everything felt new. I remembered so sites saying that it was "just a change in perspective but mostly did nothing different", which to me was a very ironic time to be saying the thing I'd been saying for years because this one actually did do different things. And it was such an adventure too because I didn't know basically any of the new pokemon so just having so many of these "what's this?" moments was really refreshing. Hell, when I first encountered an Espurr I had this SUPER deep gasp and caught it almost immediately. I don't even know why it resonated with me so much but that was easily just one of my favorite pokemon memories in the 10 years I'd been a fan.

Also this being the start of HMs phasing out is a godsend. Anyway, yeah. Loved XY, it's honestly the kind of step I feel like we should've seen by Gen 4 rather than Gen 6 but here we are.

But if you don't hate it then not everyone does.

Fleurdelis

Gunbreaker addict
    Years
    But if you don't hate it then not everyone does.

The title isn't meant to be taken literal. It's like saying "The whole world is against me" while never knowing if this is true because good luck asking every living being on this planet if they're against you.

Now to not derail the whole thread with this, I honestly cannot think of a game that has been massively hated that I love to play. I've been looking through my Steam library, past games I used to love but simply cannot find an example.

Hm. Dredges up fewer titles for this than the opposite thread. Seems unfair to name titles with low popularity due to obscurity.

- Age of Mythology. Typically regards Age of Empires 2 as the better title. Prefers Mythology for the more unique civilizations and choices mid-game. Found the mythological units satisfying as well. Loved chucking units around with Minotaurs and hopping over walls with Anubites.

Never knew AoM was hated, though to be fair people do lean more towards AoE2, but AoM was still a pretty fun game regardless.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Never knew AoM was hated, though to be fair people do lean more towards AoE2, but AoM was still a pretty fun game regardless.
    Could be wrong about it being hated. Caught you and Janp by surprise, after all. Might qualify more as "underloved" rather than "hated". Watches Age of Empire 2 games from time to time. Hears more from that crowd. Likely favors Empires 2 over Mythology.

(Struggled to think of many hated games, also. Played even fewer than that. Matched the topic the closest.)

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
    Mario Kart Tour... I've kept up with this game since release and it has been great. It has definitely improved since release in September 2019, with things I never expected. I know a lot of people hate the game for the gacha, but I like it. The gacha is a good way to make goals for what you want.

Years
    The title isn't meant to be taken literal. It's like saying "The whole world is against me" while never knowing if this is true because good luck asking every living being on this planet if they're against you.

Now to not derail the whole thread with this, I honestly cannot think of a game that has been massively hated that I love to play. I've been looking through my Steam library, past games I used to love but simply cannot find an example.

I know haha I was just being a shit head.

Back