• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

General Computer Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
Years
  • It does depend.I remember having a xios i think is the name that was build in 2005.It had 4 ram slots but could only hold up to 2gb of ram.I think it would be stupid to have 512mb x4.It would of been nice to be able to have 1gb x4.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    Ugh... Alienware. I was never a fan. They're like Skullcandy. Overpriced. Seriously overpriced.

Morgnarok

Years
  • Well they are overpriced for sure.You can get a decent computer for like 500 bucks and a alienware is like 1000-2000 bucks.The thing is that alienwares are for gamers mainly who want to get peak proformance.A computer you buy at walmart for 300-500 bucks is not going to give that to them.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    My friend, who also recently built a new computer, is putting 24 GB of RAM into the thing. The RAM costs almost half of the total system price. I get by fine with 6 GB in my new rig; he says he's going to use it for video production and gaming and whatnot, but that's still a tremendous amount of RAM.

Morgnarok

Years
  • He could prob go with 4-6 ram and be fine but many people just like to have a top of the line pc with this and that so they have braging rights.Who wouldn't want too?

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • I've got 8GB in mine and honestly I've only ever used all of it once, Though I do use over 6GB on a daily basis.
    Ram really helps with running VMs in tandem with video and other programs. (just to be clear I maxed out the 8GB by running XP and Ubuntu in VMs at the same time and ripping a blu-ray in Mac OS, the base system.)

It looks nice seeing that I continually have 0 page-outs though.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    Well they are overpriced for sure.You can get a decent computer for like 500 bucks and a alienware is like 1000-2000 bucks.The thing is that alienwares are for gamers mainly who want to get peak proformance.A computer you buy at walmart for 300-500 bucks is not going to give that to them.

Yeah, obviously. I can respect that, but building your own computer is the best way to go. Buying pre-built rigs is the easy way out, lol. Besides, if you build it yourself, then you'll most likely know what to do when it starts to break down a little.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years

• Yeah, obviously. I can respect that, but building your own computer is the best way to go. Buying pre-built rigs is the easy way out, lol. Besides, if you build it yourself, then you'll most likely know what to do when it starts to break down a little.

calling pre-built an easy- way out is not entirely true, I've got a pre-built rig, but, the problem is that My OS of choice, isn't legally able to run on custom hardware (due to EULA regulations, I know they could easily be bypassed and suffer nothing, I just prefer the peace of mind that I'm not doing anything that could potentially get me into trouble)
    Also, even though it is pre-built, I know exactly what's in it and what to do if something fails. It really just depends upon your component knowledge. There are barebones systems out there, that comes with enough components and instructions that anyone with a screwdriver could build it and they would be as lost in fixing it as if they had bought a pre-built.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    calling pre-built an easy- way out is not entirely true, I've got a pre-built rig, but, the problem is that My OS of choice, isn't legally able to run on custom hardware (due to EULA regulations, I know they could easily be bypassed and suffer nothing, I just prefer the peace of mind that I'm not doing anything that could potentially get me into trouble)
    Also, even though it is pre-built, I know exactly what's in it and what to do if something fails. It really just depends upon your component knowledge. There are barebones systems out there, that comes with enough components and instructions that anyone with a screwdriver could build it and they would be as lost in fixing it as if they had bought a pre-built.
    Yeah, you are right. :P But I still think that if you want a gaming rig, you should build it yourself.

Years
  • calling pre-built an easy- way out is not entirely true, I've got a pre-built rig, but, the problem is that My OS of choice, isn't legally able to run on custom hardware (due to EULA regulations, I know they could easily be bypassed and suffer nothing, I just prefer the peace of mind that I'm not doing anything that could potentially get me into trouble)
    I think a pre-built Mac Pro is a bit different anyway. Most of us pre-build because we know it's done to a standard and it's cheaper. The latter can't be helped with a Mac legally, as you said, and the quality issue isn't something that you'll ever have to worry about with Apple products.

Yeah, you are right. :P But I still think that if you want a gaming rig, you should build it yourself.
    Or pay a shop to hand-build it (shamelessly trying to pull business. :P)

You'd also be surprised by the amount of people that manage to stuff up with a build. The most common is not using standoffs, way too much or no thermal paste (N/A for stock coolers) I've even seen someone hack the back of a case up to "fit" their graphics card. They were trying to slide it in the from the back of the PCI ports... *headdesk*

Doing another build tomorrow for work:

i3-540 | 4GB RAM | ATI 5770 | 1TB | Antec 300

I'm sure the novelty will wear off one day. :D

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Well they are overpriced for sure.You can get a decent computer for like 500 bucks and a alienware is like 1000-2000 bucks.The thing is that alienwares are for gamers mainly who want to get peak proformance.A computer you buy at walmart for 300-500 bucks is not going to give that to them.

But then again, you could easily get a computer with the same specs as a alienware off of new egg for something like 25% cheaper.

Also, speaking of a *headdesk* moment, i had one of those today.

Im in Votech. (Program my high school offers. Career training basicly) Im taking computer engineering. Our class pretty much fixes all of the computers that other Votech classes use. Automotive wanted us to fix a computer that wouldn't boot up. So me and a couple others go down to get the computer. We bring it back and just as im about to unscrew the cover panel I notice the problem. I point that out to my group and we all start laughing. Such a simple problem that is fixed in under five seconds...

The switch on the psu was turned off.

Anyway, im thinking of building a custom once i get the money. Im planning on having a LQ system in it, but i've never made one before so im going to be using non-conductive fluid for the first month before switching over the UV fluid. I'd like to use a CM Stacker case for it, but sadly they seem to be discontinued. (I haven't found them any of the parts sites i buy from)

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Im just glad that the other computer they said was broke is actully broke.

Anyway on a LQ system. Would i be better off building the entire system myself or using a kit and adding extra components that i need/want?

Also, cna someone recommend some sites that specilize in selling parts for computer modding? The only site that I've used is Xoxide but im wanting to see if other sites might have a larger stock.

Years
  • I do a lot of video editing on my Mac and it runs very smoothly on 4GB RAM.
    Of course, the only thing that takes it sweet time is rendering, but you point me to a system that will fully render a project in a blink of an eye! XD​

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • I am getting so tired of Active Directory at school. Its a love hate relationship right now. I love it when I'm not in class, not having to mess with it. Its amazing what it can do. But when I'm in class and its not working like the book says it should it I start to hate it.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • Mainly been Networking issues: for Some reason DHCP was handing out the same address to multiple computers. causing all sorts of havoc.

I've been having Connection issues lately at home, so I have been doing random speed tests to try and catch the issue while its happening. I pay for 6Mb/s down but usually get 5 down (which isn't bad). Today I run a test and get this:

I was like WOW I've never get that hghi so I run it again:

WTF!?!?! *waits a couple of minutes runs it again*

Um... ? runs it again:

*is so confused right now*

*HEADDESK* THATS IT!!! (one more chance before I call my ISP)

-_- (normal resualt)

Wow I'm so no liking my ISP right now >.>

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back