• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: General Questions & Answers Thread

Have you ever found a shiny?

• Yes

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Yes, but I lost it!

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

So I am thinking of getting Pokemon Conquest, and Rumble U. How good are those games? Also thinking about the Art Academy but are the tools better than the lessons for everyone Art Academy?

Conquest is pretty decent, imo, as a tactical turn-based RPG...but not quite as an SRPG. I've played many SRPGs: complicated and not-so-complicated; easy and difficult; crap, and awesome. Made guides for some, even. I think this contributed to having me dislike the game at first, but then came to like it in the end.

Plot-wise, we will always have haters here and there. For me, It almost feels like a poor Nobunaga's Ambition ripoff than a spinoff of either franchise. However, the creators did quite a well job on placing pokemon as part of the story, so it was still pretty smooth. If you'd think I'm just hating, then fair enough. It's probably because you haven't seen/played the NA series yet -- which i think may be a good thing in this case.

Gameplay-wise, it's extremely convoluted right off the bat. You've got Nobunaga's Ambition mechanics thrown at you, plus some new ones, which I think were poorly explained. It's kind of a turn-off if you'd think Pokemon doesn't need to be this overly complicated for a spinoff, moreso as a tactical RPG. However, once you actually get used to it, there's really no complaint left to say. In other words, it was executed fairly well, just poorly introduced.

Strategy-wise, it isn't that hard, especially when you get the hang of it. Like any other pokemon game, it just has that casual feel to it where you don't get to feel strangled as you play through. It kinda sucks to think that many "SRPG"s have turned this way as of late, but it doesn't make the game/s complete garbage. There's fun, but no thrill when I played...well, i'm now slowly turning biased.

Overall, it's something new, but not so fresh. But give it some time, and you might feel like you want more. It may not be a game that would trump over the likes of Fire Emblem, Disgaea, Luminous Arc, or any popular SPRG title out there, but it still is a pretty darn good game on it's own. (You might see why people tend to have mixed reviews on the game now)

---

As for Rumble U and Art Academy: If you liked the old Rumble games, gameplay-wise, then you might like R.U. Otherwise, Rumble U is just a big disappointment for such huge potential (like my opinion for the other Rumble titles).

Now Art Academy is a great intuitive "game" and I think that the pokemon spinoff is ideally just a "for kids version" with basically-if not exactly-the same lessons (shading, lines & shapes, etc: the basics/essentials for aspiring artists) as Lessons for Everyone. Serious people might not like drawing pokemon as reference for improvement, and i think that's where the decisions take place.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Guys, I need a short answer. I played PMDEO Darkness, and finished it (just the main story and the main post story), now I got Sky.
    I dont like replying a game that is 100% same but I definitely want to replay this.

my questions is, is there a lot of extra stuff on Sky that there isn't in Time/Darkness. I hope there is :D

Years
  • Guys, I need a short answer. I played PMDEO Darkness, and finished it (just the main story and the main post story), now I got Sky.
    I dont like replying a game that is 100% same but I definitely want to replay this.

my questions is, is there a lot of extra stuff on Sky that there isn't in Time/Darkness. I hope there is :D

Well, PMD Explorers of Sky has things like Spinda's Cafe, the Sky Peak where you find Shaymin, the Special Episodes (most notably In the Future of Darkness, which has one of the best storylines in the series), and some very intense extra dungeons that are unlocked based on rank. It's hard for me to explain without the game beside me but you'd want to look things up to decide on it. But overall i'd say it's worth looking into.

Years
  • Well, PMD Explorers of Sky has things like Spinda's Cafe, the Sky Peak where you find Shaymin, the Special Episodes (most notably In the Future of Darkness, which has one of the best storylines in the series), and some very intense extra dungeons that are unlocked based on rank. It's hard for me to explain without the game beside me but you'd want to look things up to decide on it. But overall i'd say it's worth looking into.

awesome, thanks :D

Also please guys without any major spoilers :)

Proteun

Unofficial PokéMusic Composer
    Years
  • So if you have a 6IV Ditto and breed it with the Pokémon you want, the offspring should just be 6IV as well? I really want to get that.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    So if you have a 6IV Ditto and breed it with the Pokémon you want, the offspring should just be 6IV as well? I really want to get that.
    The baby isn't guaranteed to have all the IVs of its parents. Normally only 3 IVs between both parents are passed down. If you breed with one of the parents holding a Destiny Knot, 5 IVs between both parents will be passed down (in Gen VI).

Wrennekin

Smol but Fierce
    Years

• Could someone explain to me h
    ow exactly you can determine the IV's of one of your Pokemon? o:
    I'm aware of the IV Checker in the Battle Resort but he only gives you a general ballpark, correct? How do folks figure out exact numbers?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
    Years
  • You can use IV calculators and it will show you the exact IVs, I think this is the only way you can find them out exactly.

Here is one, here is another (the latter only works for BW2 and previous generations).

Hope this helped :3

Wrennekin

Smol but Fierce
    Years

• You can use IV calculators and it will show you the exact IVs, I think this is the only way you can find them out exactly.
    Here is one here is another (the latter only works for BW2 and previous generations).

Thank you for the links! I tried out that first site and entered all of the requested information, but it's still only giving me a ballpark for some reason??
    I'm not sure if I did something incorrectly. :x Here are the results I got from putting my Eevee's information into the calculator:

Eevee - #133 (Mild)
    Female (♀)
    HP: 3 - 14
    Att: 15 - 27
    Def: 13 - 24
    SpA: 23 - 29
    SpD: 26 - 30
    Speed: 15 - 27

Years

• Thank you for the links! I tried out that first site and entered all of the requested information, but it's still only giving me a ballpark for some reason??
    I'm not sure if I did something incorrectly. :x Here are the results I got from putting my Eevee's information into the calculator:

Eevee - #133 (Mild)
    Female (♀)
    HP: 3 - 14
    Att: 15 - 27
    Def: 13 - 24
    SpA: 23 - 29
    SpD: 26 - 30
    Speed: 15 - 27

I think they only work if your Pokemon have just been caught or just hatched. You can try this one out, too.

Wrennekin

Smol but Fierce
    Years
  • I think they only work if your Pokemon have just been caught or just hatched. You can try this one out, too.

My Pokemon was just caught semi-recently, though (and has not battled or anything). ;_;
    I'll go check out marriland's and see if I have better luck with that one!

Years
  • Game Mechanics: Hail

Does a pokémon with a maximum HP less than 16 receive any damage from the weather condition hail? If so, how much damage does it receive?

According to bulbapedia's page for hail, hail "damages each Pokémon for 1/16 of its maximum HP, unless it is Ice-type".
    On bulbapedia's Damage page, in the Damage formula section there is a line of text that says "the result is rounded down as remainders are not kept. It is possible to do zero damage".
    I am not sure if the "remainders are not kept" bit is intended to refer exclusively to moves that use the damage formula or to moves, weather, ailments, etc.
    I am also not sure whether or not the game mechanics for hail do something like ensure that it does a minimum of 1 damage in cases like the one given in my question.

I think this may need to be tested.
    Thank you

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2022
    All damage in the game does a minimum of 1 HP worth of damage, unless the target is using a protective move, ability, etc.

I have done extensive research. Very extensive...
    General Questions & Answers Thread

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2016
    Need Advice

I never thought about buying a Nintendo DS to continue playing the newer Pokemon games, due to me being old school and just enjoying playing the GBC & GBA Pokemon games. So I'm curious on if I do by the DS which Pokemon game is the best to play? Anything info helps

Years
  • I'd be happy to give some advice!

First off, I think you'll get a greater deal if you get the 3DS, since you can play not only the current 6th Gen games on it, but also 4th and 5th Gen since the 3DS is backwards compatible with DS games.

If you want a great Sinnoh experience as far as the 4th Gen games are concerned, you'll definitely want to consider Platinum. Don't even bother with Diamond & Pearl because those games have a terrible regional Dex and is just soooooooooo slow. Platinum fixes up all those issues, along with having a more extended story.

HeartGold & SoulSilver are also worth playing if you want a more updated Johto. They capture the essence of the original Johto games but with the modern 4th Gen mechanics for a more balanced experience. Plus, it still keeps the unique postgame of exploring Kanto and rematching all the Johto and Kanto Gym Leaders, ending with a final battle against Red on Mt. Silver.

Now, for 5th Gen... I know lots of people hated this generation but I really love it. There's Pokemon that while may look unappealing, do at least have some great battle capabilities and interesting abilities. In my opinion, of the two paired games Black 2 & White 2 give you so much content, having the largest postgame of any Pokemon game to date. Black & White on the other hand are slightly less great but it's still worth a play if you want to see both sides of the Unova story since it and Black 2 & White 2 actually tie up a lot of the loose ends.

For 6th Gen, there's X & Y which has a lot of mixed opinion and there's a reason why. The Exp. Share mechanics got greatly altered this generation to the point that you can effectively get overleveled and lose all challenging elements of the game so you do have to be careful when to use the Exp. Share if you want a challenge, but on the positive end Kalos has a huge regional Dex allowing for flexible teambuilding options.

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire are on the other hand, full-3D remakes of the original Ruby & Sapphire, but all glorified with modern mechanics that finally allowed Hoenn to catch up with other recent games. It keeps the same Exp. Share mechanics from X & Y so again, be careful if you don't want to get overleveled. The postgame is at least a bit better than X & Y, since there's lots of Legendary Pokemon you can catch, along with some other various non-Hoenn Pokemon once the National Dex is unlocked.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2016
    I'd be happy to give some advice!

First off, I think you'll get a greater deal if you get the 3DS, since you can play not only the current 6th Gen games on it, but also 4th and 5th Gen since the 3DS is backwards compatible with DS games.

If you want a great Sinnoh experience as far as the 4th Gen games are concerned, you'll definitely want to consider Platinum. Don't even bother with Diamond & Pearl because those games have a terrible regional Dex and is just soooooooooo slow. Platinum fixes up all those issues, along with having a more extended story.

HeartGold & SoulSilver are also worth playing if you want a more updated Johto. They capture the essence of the original Johto games but with the modern 4th Gen mechanics for a more balanced experience. Plus, it still keeps the unique postgame of exploring Kanto and rematching all the Johto and Kanto Gym Leaders, ending with a final battle against Red on Mt. Silver.

Now, for 5th Gen... I know lots of people hated this generation but I really love it. There's Pokemon that while may look unappealing, do at least have some great battle capabilities and interesting abilities. In my opinion, of the two paired games Black 2 & White 2 give you so much content, having the largest postgame of any Pokemon game to date. Black & White on the other hand are slightly less great but it's still worth a play if you want to see both sides of the Unova story since it and Black 2 & White 2 actually tie up a lot of the loose ends.

For 6th Gen, there's X & Y which has a lot of mixed opinion and there's a reason why. The Exp. Share mechanics got greatly altered this generation to the point that you can effectively get overleveled and lose all challenging elements of the game so you do have to be careful when to use the Exp. Share if you want a challenge, but on the positive end Kalos has a huge regional Dex allowing for flexible teambuilding options.

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire are on the other hand, full-3D remakes of the original Ruby & Sapphire, but all glorified with modern mechanics that finally allowed Hoenn to catch up with other recent games. It keeps the same Exp. Share mechanics from X & Y so again, be careful if you don't want to get overleveled. The postgame is at least a bit better than X & Y, since there's lots of Legendary Pokemon you can catch, along with some other various non-Hoenn Pokemon once the National Dex is unlocked.
    Thank you this helps out a lot I appreciate how much detail you put into it, it helped me make my decision off the bat. I appreciate it!!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    It's good to see you jump back into Pokémon! DS generation isn't much of a bad path to start things off, in my opinion.

Anyhow, in addition to what Hikamaru has stated, I would personally recommend starting off with Johto games--HeartGold and SoulSilver--as the region comes before any Sinnoh and Unova. I've went with SoulSilver (mostly due to nostalgic reasons), but they're both more or less the same; I don't believe the choice would matter much! As far as Sinnoh games go, I definitely agree on selecting Platinum, as it's got updated features, mechanics, graphical style, and so forth.

Also, if you don't mind, I'll go ahead and merge your thread with General Quick Questions & Answers Thread, as the topic would likely fit better there. If you have any question about this move, please feel free to let me know any time, and I will gladly respond.

Thread merged.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back