• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gimmick ideas for future games?

We've had megas, z-moves, and dynamax as main gimmicks for the latest few generations. what would you guys want to see as a gimmick in later gens? fusion seems to be brought up often enough as a possibility, especially since it's happened in the games before. what do you guys think of that as a possible main gimmick, with more pokémon being able to fuse?

pkmin3033

I'd really rather prefer that Game Freak actually work on improving their existing gimmicks, rather than doing away with half-baked ideas that could have been something truly special (OK, maybe not Dynamax) if they had put a little more thought into it. But as we all know that isn't going to happen...

As Fusion has already happened before, and it'd be extremely limited, I wouldn't want to see it as a major gimmick for a generation. I always kinda wanted more armoured Pokemon though, as a kid I thought armoured Mewtwo was just plain awesome. Giving Pokemon enhancements in the form of armour could be quite interesting if done properly, and it's something that every Pokemon could have in some form or another.

Years
    Fusion or armour could be nice, I've certainly discussed ideas for both here.

I find armour a very interesting gimmick concept - I'd talked about an idea for such a mechanic earlier this year here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=425769.

Aesthetically, armour could be executed in a variety of ways: you could go with literally metal, Mewtwo-style armour, or (these two being ideas from my thread) have it be made of small pieces of crystal that grow over the Pokémon's body like blue vitriol into cool crystal armour, or it could be organic armour-like growths sprouting from the Pokémon's body (made by, say, some symbiotic armour-producing Pokémon amoebas)...

Mechanically, my idea for armour was boosting the subject's low stats, but you could imagine it as any number of other things. The visual and conceptual aspects of gimmicks are fun, but so is their mechanical aspect. For example, Dynamax = double HP, strong moves with such and such effects, lasts 3 turns. Very elegant and fun to use.

Bottom line, thinking in mechanical terms easily leads to lots of cool gimmick ideas. For example, a gimmick that lets you boost a Pokémon's selected stat, or a gimmick of adding an extra type of your choice to a Pokémon. Or a temporary gimmick type you can turn a Pokémon into, like a type that resists all other types or a type supereffective against all other types...

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I'd like to see a new gimmick that plays an important part in the overworld. When GF did away with HMs they kinda took out the entire underlying problem of "how can your Pokemon help you traverse the region". And their approach to focus on battle mechanics make Pokemon really just seems as some sort of "tools of war".

I'm not talking about stuff like camping and contests, because that is living in its own little dimension cut off from the actual overworld as some sort of an optional plaything. Just something that makes you realize that your party is actively helping you get through the story. Not as tools employed in battle, but as comrades.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
    I'd like to see a new gimmick that plays an important part in the overworld. When GF did away with HMs they kinda took out the entire underlying problem of "how can your Pokemon help you traverse the region". And their approach to focus on battle mechanics make Pokemon really just seems as some sort of "tools of war".

I'm not talking about stuff like camping and contests, because that is living in its own little dimension cut off from the actual overworld as some sort of an optional plaything. Just something that makes you realize that your party is actively helping you get through the story. Not as tools employed in battle, but as comrades.

There's a scene in LGPE where you take control of your Pikachu/Eevee to retrieve a key from an inaccessible passage inside the Rocket Hideout. I actually really like that scene and would like to see more things like that where you briefly control one of your Pokemon to get past an obstacle. For example, you could control a Pokemon to make its way to the other side of a chasm your trainer can't bypass, and knock down a tree to make a bridge. Even if it's stuff that's totally scripted I wouldn't mind, because with no follower Pokemon and no HMs, your party definitely doesn't feel like they have a physical presence in the overworld anymore.

Years
    i'm not exactly keen on more gimmicks, especially fusion. i think i get fusion as a concept, but execution-wise i can't see it working well outside of the pokemon it works for and that's for lore reasons. every single pokemon that can currently fuse (to my knowledge) has some extensive lore or history behind it, so it makes sense. arbitrarily picking pokemon for the sake of mechanics doesn't... quite sit right with me. idk.

Years
    • Seen today
    I was a fan of mega evolution, I would much rather that return with tons of new Pokemon getting them. I'd take that over a new gimmick

I'm neutral towards z-moves. Not fond of them competitively.

Dynamax feels lame. "Look pokemon big" is not appealing to me.

I'm going off topic and it's not a ranking thread, so my answer to this is temporary evolution. It would be cool if there were a way to trigger this mid battle and have them revert back after, especially for some of those pseudo legendaries you probably won't be using during the story (eg hydriegon). I also only thought of this because it was a thing in super mystery dungeon.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Full 6v6 battles where you have to use all your Pokemon strategically on the battlefield at the same time is a future gimmick I really want. Will it ever happen? Probably not, unless there's another region that has heavy emphasis on battling being a sport. :x

...Also move combinations in double battles. Kinda like the pledge moves, but every single move has a chance to have some sort of "combination". Some wouldn't be able to combine, though, so the fun in the gimmick would be trying to use two moves together that can become a combination move. Yes, I know the anime did it w/contests, but make it a real gimmick, tbh. <_<

Years
    I don't really like the trend of adding new major gimmicks ever generation and then getting rid of them straight away, they started well with mega evolution but should have stopped at that imo and just added new megas every generation. Anyway, that's not what this thread is about haha, but if I had to choose I'd prbably agree with Palamon's idea below ^_^

Full 6v6 battles where you have to use all your Pokemon strategically on the battlefield at the same time is a future gimmick I really want. Will it ever happen? Probably not, unless there's another region that has heavy emphasis on battling being a sport. :x

Back