• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Glitches and performance issues

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
Years
  • These games have been out for a day or so, and they have already become rather infamous for their performance issues and graphical glitches, which in many cases affect players' enjoyment of the game (and go as far as to cause some players headaches, if what I've read is true.)

What is your experience with this? Has the game been running alright for you, or has it been running as slow as some reviews said? Have you seen/recorded any weird glitches?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I'm glad I'm waiting until my birthday or Hanukkah to play, that's for sure. It's pretty obvious they didn't quality check these games for handheld mode.

Kaisersaur

Veteran
    Years
  • The game looks unpolished. I got the feeling I'm playing a beta. They should give an option of "I'm familiar with pokemon game" so they can stop the hand holding through the start.

Years
  • Definitely laggier/buggier than previous Pokémon games. I've encountered some odd (but not game-breaking) things like weird cut-ins, shadows flickering, and clipping among others, but nothing horrible. Still having a lot of fun personally.. though it's absolutely true it's the buggiest Pokémon game to date. If they could optimize it better and iron these issues out it would have easily one of the best Switch games out there. Tons of fun already, would have been incredible if it wasn't being held back by these things. @_@

Some notable and hilarious ones (offsite links to Twitter videos):

https://twitter.com/KrakenMare77/status/1593493690366189568

https://twitter.com/GenerousScales/status/1593518619916632064

virtualpet

The Anomaly's Mewtwo
    Years
  • We've been running with a 2011 GPU that's been struggling since 2020 so the lag is nowhere near as bad as what we're used to. There's some lag spikes but overall it doesn't really feel like it slows the game down to us that severely. Also Sun and Moon lagged badly on our 3DS and actually it was a lot worse on the 3DS given the battle lag we often had. The only thing I'd say is annoying is how long it takes for battles to load, but we still caught like two boxes of Pokemon before the first gym so it's not bad enough for us. I just wish they kept the catching mechanics of PLA.

We did also experience a couple times where throwing a Pokeball caused the camera to go under the environment and we could swing the camera into the void in our house in one of the Pokemon games. Though we generally love glitches in Pokemon games and messing around with RBY as a kid was what got us interested in how games work in the first place, so this is actually still pretty fun to us.

Overall, it's noticeable but doesn't impact our enjoyment of the game at all really.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • Ugh! I really hope they put out a patch. They did it with the Lumiose glitch in XY, and did the whole Daybreak thing in Legends Arceus even though it didn't have any problems this glaring - plus, as many issues as we still have with Sword & Shield, the fanbase making a lot of noise about one particular thing like this got them to patch in extra Pokemon for free even if you didn't get the DLC - so I have some hope. Yes, I know "it's Pokemon so it'll still sell well", but I think it's gonna be obvious to them that they can get more sales if this is fixed than if not.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I haven't been suffering from major lag or anything. The only thing that drops is background stuff where things look like they are walking slowly because they are so far away from the camera.

Not everyone is having issues. I've seen more people say they aren't really having the problems than those saying they are. And a LOT of streamers and other people are playing the games and they are all enjoying it. Some streamers even streaming for 12 hours for two days and saying they are addicted to a game for the first time in a long time.

Also running on a Nintendo Switch that I got in 2018.

Last edited:

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • I've heard that a lot of the issues might be caused by something called a "memory leak". Anyone more informed than me have an opinion about that?

virtualpet

The Anomaly's Mewtwo
    Years
  • I'm not someone who reverse engineers the games nor am I that familiar with how Switch games work, but memory leak basically happens if something is limiting the amount of memory that a computer or computer program can access. If I had to guess for SV it could be that the games in some scenarios aren't properly culling unused models or keeps having something build up in the background, so that's why restarting the game fixes it.

Take that with a grain of salt because we just know PC troubleshooting and are just a web developer who doesn't really have this as their area lol.

Years
  • Definitely a buggy mess, but I personally havent run into anything that's affected my enjoyment. Yea it chops, and there is quite alot of clipping with pokemon, but still a great time personally. Worst case scenarios ive heard are crashes for story cutscenes…

NoobMaster_6ix9

NoobMaster
    Years
  • We've been running with a 2011 GPU that's been struggling since 2020 so the lag is nowhere near as bad as what we're used to. There's some lag spikes but overall it doesn't really feel like it slows the game down to us that severely. Also Sun and Moon lagged badly on our 3DS and actually it was a lot worse on the 3DS given the battle lag we often had. The only thing I'd say is annoying is how long it takes for battles to load, but we still caught like two boxes of Pokemon before the first gym so it's not bad enough for us. I just wish they kept the catching mechanics of PLA.

We did also experience a couple times where throwing a Pokeball caused the camera to go under the environment and we could swing the camera into the void in our house in one of the Pokemon games. Though we generally love glitches in Pokemon games and messing around with RBY as a kid was what got us interested in how games work in the first place, so this is actually still pretty fun to us.

Overall, it's noticeable but doesn't impact our enjoyment of the game at all really.

GPU?

So you're playing this as a ROM on PC?

virtualpet

The Anomaly's Mewtwo
    Years
  • GPU?

So you're playing this as a ROM on PC?

No we have the physical copy on console, but we primarily game on PC so this just feels like playing any other open world game we've played on this PC.

Pretty sure our PC would explode if we tried to emulate any Switch game on it pfft

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2022
    So the load times when you try on new clothes or go into battle and the terrain clipping is definitely an issue. But I've played glitchier games before so it doesn't bother me much. The one thing that does bother me a bit is when you're in the desert it looks like there's little shiny specks on the ground from how the light is being rendered or something and it always tricks me into thinking there's a dropped item when there isn't ^^'

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
    Years
  • In my personal opinion it's not AS bad as people are showing.

I don't know what's going on with their switches but my experience is not as bad as theirs, neither is my partners, nor my best friend.
    There's a few graphical hiccups, but it's too be expected from a newly launched titled that seems a bit rushed due to a bigger company looming over a smaller one.

It's not unplayable, nor is it perfect.
    But the game itself is amazing.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • I have had a few strange glitches but nothing gamebreaking and no crashing.

I've had:

- Sleeping Psyduck sleeping half inside tree.
    - An odd clipping issue when evolving Petilil where the floor turned to sky texture
    - My Pokemon fighting inside a wall during a battle in a cave. Battle progressed fine.

Years
  • Digital Foundry just released a tech review of the new games today, that should clarify a lot of things about the performance of the games.

I won't lie, it's beyond bad and the reaction online isn't overblown or exaggerated. It's so bad it can trigger motion sickness for some people. For instance, I know two persons who have a headache when playing the game and I'm sure some players experiencing a feeling of nausea.

I've heard a lot of people are hoping for patches to fix most of the issues but after watching the video, I'm not even sure much can be fixed here.

Back