• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen HARDEST BIRD TO CAPTURE

hardest to capture

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Moltres and articuno I caught with my first great ball, and zapdos took a couple ultra balls

Shelmet

Spiraling Disastertastrophe
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2012
    Moltres, definitely. I wasted all of my Ultra Balls on it (twice), with it down to red HP before I managed to catch it. It kept beating my team up, too...

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
    Years
    In my experience, Articuno was ALWAYS the easiest one to catch, in FR/LG it always required me 2 or 3 Ultra Balls, even if last time I caught it with the first one :D
    Moltres, middle difficult, just for the annoying Fire Spin and then Agility + Flamethrower.
    But the hardest for me is Zapdos. With T-Wave, Agility, and Detect, it is a REAL PAIN IN THE ASS!

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2017
    I think it took me the longest to catch Moltres. I wasted a masterball (!).
    But, Arcticuno was the most annoying because it takes SO LONG TO GET TO IT. Seriously.

Years
    Articuno, probably just my game trolling me because it was my favourite bird and it was always the one i wasted all my balls on >.<

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
    Articuno and Zapdos were a piece of cake! But MOLTRES! It took me three resets with 99 Ultra Balls to catch it, it was low health and paralyzed, I never want to catch one again...

Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2015
    Zapdos, because every time i catch it, when i try to sleep or paralyze it, uses thunder wave, detect and with pressure, it's a little annoying.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I don't know why, but for me it was Moltres. It was really easy to get down to low health because of Endure, and I just Paralyzed it after that. Yet, it still took at least one reset each time I tried to catch it. It just wouldn't go inside the Poké Ball.

Years
    Moltres!! >O It scarred my Parasect for life!! Without my Parasect, I couldn't land a single status on it and ended up using up all my balls. (Master Ball was in storage, I never use such balls x/)

Zapdos and Articuno were pretty easy to me. I had Articuno paralyzed with a red health bar after an attack from Jolteon. :) Zapdos was nabbed swiftly when Parasect gave a good Spore (that didn't miss for once! XD)

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    I used false swipe and sleep powder on all three of them, so none of them were really a huge bother, but for some reason Articuno took a lot longer to catch than the others. If I recall correctly I actually had to reset once or twice on Articuno, which I'm sure I didn't have to for Zapdos or Moltres.

Maple Leaf

dazed and abused
    Years
    I didn't like navigating the Seafoam Islands for Articuno, but Zapdos was the hardest for me.

I can't remember exact numbers, but it kept breaking out of everything. :<

Years
    I vividly recall my Moltres battle lasting for ages. I don't even know how or why. I just remember using tons of ultra balls, and it like constantly using endure and whatnot.
    It was maddening.
    Though, in the end, it was mine!

Back